Sign in with
Your question

Will the Tablet Replace the PC?

Last response: in Mobile Computing
January 1, 2011 10:55:47 PM

I hope this will not happen in the soon. The tablet is a cool piece of hardware. However, with the lack of a keyboard and small screen is a turn off for many buyers including myself. I know in the future technology will get advanced to a point where this will not be a problem. But still, a laptop has a larger screen, more powerful OS and CPU as well as a GPU for gamers and Video Editors. My big worry is that they will take over desktops since I am a gamer. it will suck because I wont be able to have separate parts such as CPU, Memory, GPU such as Nvidia and AMD. I hope in the near Future this does not happen, I mean tablets are great I am thinking about buying a Samsung Galaxy Tablet but it will never Replace a Laptop of Desktop PC because of how non powerful and inconvenient they are compared to them. Will this happen anytime in the near Future? WHat do you guys think? Thanks

More about : tablet replace

January 2, 2011 5:28:43 AM

It's not going to happen anytime soon(or ever).Because like you mentioned tablets are good but they're far behind desktops/laptops in terms of raw power and performance.
Currently,having a desktop and a tablet is a good combination but tablets can't replace desktops unless you only do web-surfing,checking mails and listening to music and you are OK to use a 10" or smaller screen as your primary display.
m
l
January 4, 2011 2:57:36 PM

No, they have entirely different (and complementary) uses. I can't think of a single reason you would even pose this question.
m
l
January 5, 2011 8:30:11 AM

Unless a miracle of sorts occurs where the power of a desktop can be condensed into a tablet, it isn't going to happen anytime soon (as Maziar mentioned). There are always those of us out there who need the computing power that a tablet or even a laptop cannot provide. However, there are those out there that simply need something like a tablet for their particular uses, which is why they are getting rather popular.
m
l
!