Can not see a DVd Movie

gilberto

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2004

Hi everybody.

I have recently bought an Averatec Laptop (5400) with an Slimtype DVDRW
SOSW-852S unit (DVD R/RW) it has Windows XP Pro Sp2.

Last weekend I bougth a DVD Movie hoping to see it on my laptop, but when I
insert the disc nothing happen. I had installed the PoverDvd 5 and I figure
could be a software issue so I upgrade to Poverdvd 6 and the same nothing
happen.

Actually I can read and write CD even audio CD.

The error that show poverdvd is "No disk in Drive D:" if I search with the
explorer the conten of the unit is empty. I follow the "technical support
and help" process without succesfull.

so what we need to do in order to watch my DVD Movie?

Also I can't see a Data DVD.

You may find info needed at: Liteon web site, try google search for: sosw-852s

"gilberto" wrote:

> Hi everybody.
>
> I have recently bought an Averatec Laptop (5400) with an Slimtype DVDRW
> SOSW-852S unit (DVD R/RW) it has Windows XP Pro Sp2.
>
> Last weekend I bougth a DVD Movie hoping to see it on my laptop, but when I
> insert the disc nothing happen. I had installed the PoverDvd 5 and I figure
> could be a software issue so I upgrade to Poverdvd 6 and the same nothing
> happen.
>
> Actually I can read and write CD even audio CD.
>
> The error that show poverdvd is "No disk in Drive D:" if I search with the
> explorer the conten of the unit is empty. I follow the "technical support
> and help" process without succesfull.
>
> so what we need to do in order to watch my DVD Movie?
>
> Also I can't see a Data DVD.

BigJim

are you sure it is a dvd player not just a cdrw.
If it is a dvd player and you can't view a movie then the player maybe bad.
Call for warranty.
"gilberto" <gilberto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everybody.
>
> I have recently bought an Averatec Laptop (5400) with an Slimtype DVDRW
> SOSW-852S unit (DVD R/RW) it has Windows XP Pro Sp2.
>
> Last weekend I bougth a DVD Movie hoping to see it on my laptop, but when
> insert the disc nothing happen. I had installed the PoverDvd 5 and I
> figure
> could be a software issue so I upgrade to Poverdvd 6 and the same nothing
> happen.
>
> Actually I can read and write CD even audio CD.
>
> The error that show poverdvd is "No disk in Drive D:" if I search with the
> explorer the conten of the unit is empty. I follow the "technical support
> and help" process without succesfull.
>
> so what we need to do in order to watch my DVD Movie?
>
> Also I can't see a Data DVD.

mbrown

Make sure PowerDVD has a software decoder built into it. If it is just a
player it is not going to work for you. If you need a software decoder
just look on the net and you will find some free ones. Or install
WinDVD it comes with the decoder software and I think you can install a
free version or at least a trial and see if this works.

Mike

--
mbrown
mbrown's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=684

"mbrown" <mbrown.1qzx8r@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

> Make sure PowerDVD has a software decoder built into it. If it is just a
> player it is not going to work for you. If you need a software decoder
> just look on the net and you will find some free ones. Or install
> WinDVD it comes with the decoder software and I think you can install a
> free version or at least a trial and see if this works.
>
> Mike

Mike PowerDVD is a full featured DVD player with built in codecs. It plays
all the movie DVD's that I've ever pumped into it.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

If your system is still under warranty contact the manufacturer. This sounds
suspiciously like a dead DVD laser. You can read and burn CDs fine but it
won't work with DVDs.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"gilberto" <gilberto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everybody.
>
> I have recently bought an Averatec Laptop (5400) with an Slimtype DVDRW
> SOSW-852S unit (DVD R/RW) it has Windows XP Pro Sp2.
>
> Last weekend I bougth a DVD Movie hoping to see it on my laptop, but when
> insert the disc nothing happen. I had installed the PoverDvd 5 and I
> figure
> could be a software issue so I upgrade to Poverdvd 6 and the same nothing
> happen.
>
> Actually I can read and write CD even audio CD.
>
> The error that show poverdvd is "No disk in Drive D:" if I search with the
> explorer the conten of the unit is empty. I follow the "technical support
> and help" process without succesfull.
>
> so what we need to do in order to watch my DVD Movie?
>
> Also I can't see a Data DVD.

Any cute yellow ?'s in Dev Manager?
DVD uses XP drivers?

HTH-Larry

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 12:37:03 -0700, "gilberto"
<gilberto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

|Hi everybody.
|
|I have recently bought an Averatec Laptop (5400) with an Slimtype DVDRW
|SOSW-852S unit (DVD R/RW) it has Windows XP Pro Sp2.
|
|Last weekend I bougth a DVD Movie hoping to see it on my laptop, but when I
|insert the disc nothing happen. I had installed the PoverDvd 5 and I figure
|could be a software issue so I upgrade to Poverdvd 6 and the same nothing
|happen.
|
|Actually I can read and write CD even audio CD.
|
|The error that show poverdvd is "No disk in Drive D:" if I search with the
|explorer the conten of the unit is empty. I follow the "technical support
|and help" process without succesfull.
|
|so what we need to do in order to watch my DVD Movie?
|
|Also I can't see a Data DVD.

Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

gilberto

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2004

Larry:
At Device Manager I only see the green led blinking. After that nothing.
ANd Yes I'm using XP drivers. Otherwise I couldn't read and write CD.
"Larry(LJL269)" wrote:

> Any cute yellow ?'s in Dev Manager?
> DVD uses XP drivers?
>
> HTH-Larry
>
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 12:37:03 -0700, "gilberto"
> <gilberto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> |Hi everybody.
> |
> |I have recently bought an Averatec Laptop (5400) with an Slimtype DVDRW
> |SOSW-852S unit (DVD R/RW) it has Windows XP Pro Sp2.
> |
> |Last weekend I bougth a DVD Movie hoping to see it on my laptop, but when I
> |insert the disc nothing happen. I had installed the PoverDvd 5 and I figure
> |could be a software issue so I upgrade to Poverdvd 6 and the same nothing
> |happen.
> |
> |Actually I can read and write CD even audio CD.
> |
> |The error that show poverdvd is "No disk in Drive D:" if I search with the
> |explorer the conten of the unit is empty. I follow the "technical support
> |and help" process without succesfull.
> |
> |so what we need to do in order to watch my DVD Movie?
> |
> |Also I can't see a Data DVD.
>
> Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

What media player are you attempting to use to play these DVDs?

Brandon Taylor

gilberto wrote:
> Larry:
> At Device Manager I only see the green led blinking. After that nothing.
> ANd Yes I'm using XP drivers. Otherwise I couldn't read and write CD.
> "Larry(LJL269)" wrote:
>

>>Any cute yellow ?'s in Dev Manager?
>>DVD uses XP drivers?
>>
>>HTH-Larry
>>
>>On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 12:37:03 -0700, "gilberto"
>><gilberto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>|Hi everybody.
>>|
>>|I have recently bought an Averatec Laptop (5400) with an Slimtype DVDRW
>>|SOSW-852S unit (DVD R/RW) it has Windows XP Pro Sp2.
>>|
>>|Last weekend I bougth a DVD Movie hoping to see it on my laptop, but when I
>>|insert the disc nothing happen. I had installed the PoverDvd 5 and I figure
>>|could be a software issue so I upgrade to Poverdvd 6 and the same nothing
>>|happen.
>>|
>>|Actually I can read and write CD even audio CD.
>>|
>>|The error that show poverdvd is "No disk in Drive D:" if I search with the
>>|explorer the conten of the unit is empty. I follow the "technical support
>>|and help" process without succesfull.
>>|
>>|so what we need to do in order to watch my DVD Movie?
>>|
>>|Also I can't see a Data DVD.
>>
>>Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

gilberto

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2004

Hi:

I mention it before, I was using PowerDvd version 5, I upgrade and install
the last version (6.0). It dind'nt work on both version.

I 'm starting to assume its a Device problem.

"Brandon Taylor" wrote:

> What media player are you attempting to use to play these DVDs?
>
> Brandon Taylor
>
> gilberto wrote:
> > Larry:
> > At Device Manager I only see the green led blinking. After that nothing.
> > ANd Yes I'm using XP drivers. Otherwise I couldn't read and write CD.
> > "Larry(LJL269)" wrote:
> >

> >>Any cute yellow ?'s in Dev Manager?
> >>DVD uses XP drivers?
> >>
> >>HTH-Larry

> >>Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

Scott

It really sounds to me like it is not a DVD rom drive. Does it say DVD
on front of drive unit?
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:42:01 -0700, "gilberto"