First Solo Victory

keith

Hello all!! I just wanted to take a moment and pat myself on the back for
getting my first solo victory (out of 2 tries). I am a noob at diplomacy
still so I am not pretending to be world champion or anything. This was a
newbie game from the Queue that started last September. I was shown
repeatedly that Italy, Turkey, and Germany were much better tactically than
I but since Germany was my pal (until the stab of 1910) and Turkey and Italy
could never resist a good stab I was able to negotiate my way to a solo. I
am very pleased with myself (See! My arm does not even hurt as I pat myself
on the back repeatedly!) and can not wait to start another game in a few
months. I am not sure that I could just jump back in to a 9 month
commitment so quickly (yes, I have issues).
Anyway, just wanted to share. Not sure if anyone is can go and check
out the game but it was konstant on USOS. Later!!

Keith

Congrats, Keith. Solos are tough to get, and it takes most of us many more
than two tries before we get our first!

In article <OD4qc.17131$th.5995@fe2.columbus.rr.com>,
keith <kmitchell@SPAMsabis.net> wrote:
>Hello all!! I just wanted to take a moment and pat myself on the back for
>getting my first solo victory (out of 2 tries).

Whoo-hoo!

>I am a noob at diplomacy
>still so I am not pretending to be world champion or anything. This was a
>newbie game from the Queue that started last September. I was shown
>repeatedly that Italy, Turkey, and Germany were much better tactically than
>I but since Germany was my pal (until the stab of 1910) and Turkey and Italy
>could never resist a good stab I was able to negotiate my way to a solo.

That's the key. If you aren't a good tactician, find someone else who
is and manipulate them into making good moves for you. (Well, you'll
get stabbed less often as you develop the skills to vet those moves
and weed out the self-destructive ones....)

I had a solo in the first postal game I started (from a mercy position)
though by the time that one finished I'd also gotten a three-way and
an ignonimous defeat. We got to a drawn three-player position and
Austria tried to win. Turkey and me (England) had to work together
very hard to stop him. Alas, Turkey became a little too comfortable
working with me, and more than a little too angry at Austria, so I won.
I wish I could do that well in face-to-face play (it took me about six
years realtime to get my first solo!)

Mary Kuhner mkkuhner@eskimo.com