No Post???

Boco

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
Well I just bought a new HDD for my comp and everything installed and was working great. Then When I turned on my comp the next day it wouldnt post. took out the ide cable and put it back on and it posted??? I had to do this 2 times already...I am thinking it could be the ide cable or maybe it is the hdd. Any help would be great.

HDD Specs:
WD 80 gig UATA/100 oem
8 meg buffer 7200rpm

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Sounds like the cable. But, you can go to WD site and d/l their free dianostic proggie to check your HD.

Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
9600 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win98SE

Boco

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
Ya I will try that too. But I hear that the software they provide is kind of a buggy one. Like inaccurate at times. Well it's funny, I can never get a clean post by pressing the power button. Also I upgraded my comp with a new sound card and cdrw/dvd-rom as well, but it may just be the cables. HDD works great when not posting hehe quit as hell and fast too.

grafixmonkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2004
I had a motherboard from Asus that had some interesting problems similar to that...
(it was a freak of nature - I don't blame Asus, Asus is good)

So I get the motherboard, wire it up, and turn it on - nothing happens. I mess with every manner of cable, still nothing. Fans come on, nothing else, no beeps or VGA signal. The last thing I try is swapping the RAM for an identical module bought for, basically, another identical system. All of a sudden it boots! I figure, ok, dead RAM stick, I'll just have to exchange it.

Nope. Then I can't find the RAM stick. I eventually find it was in the other kid's computer, and he's been playing Call Of Duty all day with it and no crashes. Hmmm. A week later, after windows and a compliment of programs have been installed, and the computer is in its new home, the case gets bumped by a chair, and the computer locks up and reboots. Ok, that's odd... I find, through some testing, that I can make the computer lock up by bumping the case. And I'm talking, the kind of bump you might give it if you're idly swaying your leg back and forth while you're thinking, and it bumps the case accidentally.

Quite a while later, I find that if I push slightly on the floppy drive connector while the system is on, the system locks up. It was a non-fatal intermittent connection on the board the whole time. Replacing the RAM stick had wiggled the board a bit and "fixed" the loose component/wire/trace/whatever on the board. Bumping it and pushing on the floppy connector were causing signal interruptions because the loose connection was moving around. It was the first time I've ever seen a motherboard with intermittent contact on it - bloody hard to track down too.

Anyway, try what I tried - push on that connector while the PC is running. See if it freezes. My board was an A7N8X, just in case yours is too.

Boco

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
No crashes here. Just wont boot. And I just found out sometimes when I reboot I can't get a post as well. Well I am getting new ide cables later today and will see. If it does not fix it, then I got to return the HDD. I was also thinking it might be my power supply or even my cdrw...Any comments?

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
Depends if it's not your cables then i'd definately look at your mobo. See if you can exchange it, i have afeeling it's not your cables nor your hard drive.

If you have a way to check all the voltage readings then i suggest that.. unless you have a 300W cheapo supply i doubt it's that.

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=277124623" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=277124623</A>
46,510 , movin on up. 48k new goal. Maybe not.. :/

Boco

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
You are right... I exchanged both and it is still doing the same thing. Also I do have a 300 watt power supply, could that be it? I am running a P3 1ghz and I have been using this comp for more then 2 years. I just had some extra cash to upgrade ram, hdd, sound card and a cdrw-dvd rom. I can play games fine and do a lot more. Not really looking to upgrade to a P4 at the moment cause I will go all out with the next big thing. Anyways, I had a feeling it may be my power supply. What should I do to check? Get a new power supply?

Boco

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
Oh I may as well give you a idea as to how it wont post. When I cold boot, I get the cpu fan going and I see hdd activity. But no post beep, and I let it sit for a min or 2. Then I go and push in my ide cables and check to see that all the power plugs are secure. Then I go and turn it on again, usally it will post, if not I rinse and repeat. So I hopefully I can get this fix, if I had the tools here like extra parts then I wouldn't need to goto the forums but I don't and maybe someone can help me here with out me testing everything I can think off :p Thanks for all the help in advance again.