kyleandkevin

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
I have a digital video camera with a mini dv tape. I have a mini dv cable and no place to plug it to capture the camera data to my pc. Do I need a card to add to my pc or is there a cheap converter? I have the ups for photos and all sorts of memory card slots but what is needed for the JVC mini dv, HELP!!!! I just want to create family dvd movies using the camera. Thanks.

kyleandkevin

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
I think I have one, I had the pc custom built and I see a port but it doesn't fit the mini dv port cable. I also see a cd for the firewire software. What now? Thanks for the reply. I thought the port would also work but it doesn't fit. I have seen one machine out there to transfer the data I wanted but it was at new egg and almost 300 bucks. I really don't want to contact the pc builder, but if I have to I will. I have the option of plugging in all sorts of usp things and flash cards and memory cards but no mini dv. Maybe you can think of another device or card I can plug in? Thanks again for the reply.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
As far as I know, all digital cameras connect to the computer with a firewire cable. Can you provide the Model of the camara? Most also come with a UBS wire to transfer photos you take with the camera. You can get a IEEE 1394 (Firewire) card for less than $10 at newegg. I'd take the camera to a camera store or CompUSA and they can tell you the type of cable and card you need. Combined shouldn't cost more than $30. Radio Shack seems to have the best prices for cables, if you need one, and CompUSA have pretty decent prices.