Linux O/S on my Windows XPP Home PC

Can someone please tell me how it's possible to have a Linux partition and a
Linux O/S installed on my home computer. I did not install this on my
computer. I purchased the system new in 2001 and have installed many
applications and PNP devices into it over time and I am curious how someone
would be able to do this and for what purpose. I have a DSL connection to
the internet that is always on. I have used jump drives and external HDD for
transferring files but mostly use the computer for web browsing and gaming.
I have never used Linux and am desperate for answers. Is there some way,
other than installing it myself, that this got onto my computer? Please help
me understand.

Thank you,

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

PaulK wrote:
> Can someone please tell me how it's possible to have a Linux partition and a
> Linux O/S installed on my home computer. I did not install this on my
> computer. I purchased the system new in 2001 and have installed many
> applications and PNP devices into it over time and I am curious how someone
> would be able to do this and for what purpose. I have a DSL connection to
> the internet that is always on. I have used jump drives and external HDD for
> transferring files but mostly use the computer for web browsing and gaming.
> I have never used Linux and am desperate for answers. Is there some way,
> other than installing it myself, that this got onto my computer? Please help
> me understand.
>
> Thank you,

If you are not keen on just installing linux (which BTW, depending on
the distro, usually come with partitioning software), why dont you just
download a Live CD? Some of them even allow you to install from the
disk too if you like it.

The live CD should 'tell' you whether your kit will be detected or not.

http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php?pick=All&showonly=desktop

--
MCR
MAME(tm) - History In The Making

"MCR" <markcoleman10@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> PaulK wrote:
> > Can someone please tell me how it's possible to have a Linux partition
and a
> > Linux O/S installed on my home computer. I did not install this on my
> > computer. I purchased the system new in 2001 and have installed many
> > applications and PNP devices into it over time and I am curious how
someone
> > would be able to do this and for what purpose. I have a DSL connection
> > the internet that is always on. I have used jump drives and external
HDD for
> > transferring files but mostly use the computer for web browsing and
gaming.
> > I have never used Linux and am desperate for answers. Is there some
way,
> > other than installing it myself, that this got onto my computer? Please
help
> > me understand.
> >
> > Thank you,
>
> If you are not keen on just installing linux (which BTW, depending on
> the distro, usually come with partitioning software), why dont you just
> download a Live CD? Some of them even allow you to install from the
> disk too if you like it.
>
> The live CD should 'tell' you whether your kit will be detected or not.
>
> http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php?pick=All&showonly=desktop
> --
> MCR
> MAME(tm) - History In The Making

No, no - you missed his point (or I did) -- Linux is installed on the
system and he did NOT do it and it wasn't there when he purchased
it new. I didn't see any mention of a firewall of any kind, but I did see
"DSL always on" mentioned. Sounds to me like it is now someone
elses computer (the person who hacked his way in, and installed a
linux version for some reason). Configured to run as someone's
email relay or some such handy "task" I would guess. You can
change the partition size on a disk, making space for a new one,
create the new one and install Linux (or whatever you want).

Thanks for your responses. I just need to know if it is possible for
someone, other than myself, to hack into my home computer and install this
Linux O/S ("Lindows")with a small, dedicated partition. What would be the
purpose of someone doing this and is this a common problem? I do have WinXPP
with SP2, which includes the firewall protection. Apparently, at some point
in time before I installed SP2, this O/S was installed by someone other than
myself and I am trying to understand how and why people would do this. You
stated that it may have been "Configured to run as someone's email relay or
some such handy "task". What does that mean? What other "tasks" would
someone want to run from my computer?

Thanks, you have been very helpful.

"Mike Fields" wrote:

> "MCR" <markcoleman10@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > PaulK wrote:
> > > Can someone please tell me how it's possible to have a Linux partition
> and a
> > > Linux O/S installed on my home computer. I did not install this on my
> > > computer. I purchased the system new in 2001 and have installed many
> > > applications and PNP devices into it over time and I am curious how
> someone
> > > would be able to do this and for what purpose. I have a DSL connection
> > > the internet that is always on. I have used jump drives and external
> HDD for
> > > transferring files but mostly use the computer for web browsing and
> gaming.
> > > I have never used Linux and am desperate for answers. Is there some
> way,
> > > other than installing it myself, that this got onto my computer? Please
> help
> > > me understand.
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> >
> > If you are not keen on just installing linux (which BTW, depending on
> > the distro, usually come with partitioning software), why dont you just
> > download a Live CD? Some of them even allow you to install from the
> > disk too if you like it.
> >
> > The live CD should 'tell' you whether your kit will be detected or not.
> >
> > http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php?pick=All&showonly=desktop
> > --
> > MCR
> > MAME(tm) - History In The Making
>
> No, no - you missed his point (or I did) -- Linux is installed on the
> system and he did NOT do it and it wasn't there when he purchased
> it new. I didn't see any mention of a firewall of any kind, but I did see
> "DSL always on" mentioned. Sounds to me like it is now someone
> elses computer (the person who hacked his way in, and installed a
> linux version for some reason). Configured to run as someone's
> email relay or some such handy "task" I would guess. You can
> change the partition size on a disk, making space for a new one,
> create the new one and install Linux (or whatever you want).

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:OELWZitdFHA.640@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Mike Fields <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcast.net> had this to say:

> "MCR" <markcoleman10@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> PaulK wrote:
>>> Can someone please tell me how it's possible to have a Linux
>>> partition and a Linux O/S installed on my home computer. I did
>>> not install this on my computer. I purchased the system new in
>>> 2001 and have installed many applications and PNP devices into it
>>> over time and I am curious how someone would be able to do this and
>>> for what purpose. I have a DSL connection to the internet that is
>>> always on. I have used jump drives and external HDD for
>>> transferring files but mostly use the computer for web browsing and
>>> gaming. I have never used Linux and am desperate for answers. Is
>>> there some way, other than installing it myself, that this got onto
>>> my computer? Please help me understand.
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>
>> If you are not keen on just installing linux (which BTW, depending on
>> the distro, usually come with partitioning software), why dont you
>> just download a Live CD? Some of them even allow you to install
>> from the disk too if you like it.
>>
>> The live CD should 'tell' you whether your kit will be detected or
>> not.
>>
>> http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php?pick=All&showonly=desktop
>> --
>> MCR
>> MAME(tm) - History In The Making
>
> No, no - you missed his point (or I did) -- Linux is installed on the
> system and he did NOT do it and it wasn't there when he purchased
> it new. I didn't see any mention of a firewall of any kind, but I
> did see "DSL always on" mentioned. Sounds to me like it is now
> someone
> elses computer (the person who hacked his way in, and installed a
> linux version for some reason). Configured to run as someone's
> email relay or some such handy "task" I would guess. You can
> change the partition size on a disk, making space for a new one,
> create the new one and install Linux (or whatever you want).

I don't suppose after all the work they must have gone through he ought to
just let them keep it? Nothing less than a comlete format would make me
trust that PC ever again. If the OP has a static IP address (some DSL
peoples are lucky enough to get such a critter) they might also want to take
a minute to call their ISP (after cleaning the box and taking it off-line)
and request a new one. Configuring, as you mentioned, a firewall properly
would also be a good step. If someone managed to establish enough control to
install an OS via the network there's some serious security holes going on
there.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

Thanks Galen, I think this was something that was done a while ago and no
longer resides on my computer. I have reformatted my computer and installed
SP2 with the firewall protection. I am just trying to understand if it is
possible for someone, via my internet connection, to do these things without
my knowledge. I know it sounds like a dumb question, but I know that there
are people out there that know the answers to these perplexing questions that
I have. Thank you very much.

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:OELWZitdFHA.640@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> Mike Fields <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcast.net> had this to say:

> > "MCR" <markcoleman10@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> >> If you are not keen on just installing linux (which BTW, depending on
> >> the distro, usually come with partitioning software), why dont you
> >> just download a Live CD? Some of them even allow you to install
> >> from the disk too if you like it.
> >>
> >> The live CD should 'tell' you whether your kit will be detected or
> >> not.
> >>
> >> http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php?pick=All&showonly=desktop
> >> --
> >> MCR
> >> MAME(tm) - History In The Making
> >
> > No, no - you missed his point (or I did) -- Linux is installed on the
> > system and he did NOT do it and it wasn't there when he purchased
> > it new. I didn't see any mention of a firewall of any kind, but I
> > did see "DSL always on" mentioned. Sounds to me like it is now
> > someone
> > elses computer (the person who hacked his way in, and installed a
> > linux version for some reason). Configured to run as someone's
> > email relay or some such handy "task" I would guess. You can
> > change the partition size on a disk, making space for a new one,
> > create the new one and install Linux (or whatever you want).
>
> I don't suppose after all the work they must have gone through he ought to
> just let them keep it? Nothing less than a comlete format would make me
> trust that PC ever again. If the OP has a static IP address (some DSL
> peoples are lucky enough to get such a critter) they might also want to take
> a minute to call their ISP (after cleaning the box and taking it off-line)
> and request a new one. Configuring, as you mentioned, a firewall properly
> would also be a good step. If someone managed to establish enough control to
> install an OS via the network there's some serious security holes going on
> there.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Mike Fields wrote:
Snipped

> No, no - you missed his point (or I did) -- Linux is installed on the
> system and he did NOT do it and it wasn't there when he purchased
> it new. I didn't see any mention of a firewall of any kind, but I did see
> "DSL always on" mentioned. Sounds to me like it is now someone
> elses computer (the person who hacked his way in, and installed a
> linux version for some reason). Configured to run as someone's
> email relay or some such handy "task" I would guess. You can
> change the partition size on a disk, making space for a new one,
> create the new one and install Linux (or whatever you want).

Oops... sorry... I think I was tired :)
--

In news:864831DC-CACF-4DA0-9503-83B3F1186E8E@microsoft.com,
PaulK <PaulK@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Thanks Galen, I think this was something that was done a while ago
> and no longer resides on my computer. I have reformatted my computer
> and installed SP2 with the firewall protection. I am just trying to
> understand if it is possible for someone, via my internet connection,
> to do these things without my knowledge. I know it sounds like a
> dumb question, but I know that there are people out there that know
> the answers to these perplexing questions that I have. Thank you
> very much.

I've never SEEN it done but knowing as little as I do I can't see any reason
why it couldn't be done though the logic of doing so is beyond me. I can't
see why anyone would go to the extremes that would (again I know enough to
know I know nothing if that makes sense) entail to do that when they could
more easily have done something like make a dedicated hidden folder and just
dropped what ever applications they wanted on there instead. Can it be done?
I see no reason why it CAN NOT be done. I do NOT know how to do it
personally nor would I bother to learn such a thing but it seems likely that
Lindows could be deployed via a network, I don't see any reason why it
couldn't but it just strikes me as odd. You might want to pose this question
to the security gurus in that group. You might get a more detailed answer.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 14:42:01 -0700, "PaulK"
<PaulK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Can someone please tell me how it's possible to have a Linux partition and a
>Linux O/S installed on my home computer. I did not install this on my
>computer. I purchased the system new in 2001 and have installed many
>applications and PNP devices into it over time and I am curious how someone
>would be able to do this and for what purpose. I have a DSL connection to
>the internet that is always on. I have used jump drives and external HDD for
>transferring files but mostly use the computer for web browsing and gaming.
>I have never used Linux and am desperate for answers. Is there some way,
>other than installing it myself, that this got onto my computer? Please help
>me understand.
>
>Thank you,
Hello from another Paul K. If Linux just showed up on your computer
one day, someone (kids?) got on your computer and installed it.

To get rid of it, I suggest getting Partition Magic and erasing the
Linux partitions.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a surefire way to keep them from doing
it again, short of locking your PC in a closet! Dire threats may
help.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

Someone with physical access to your computer installed Linux on your
computer. I can not think of any way that an operating system can be
installed over the internet, from a remote location.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"PaulK" <PaulK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can someone please tell me how it's possible to have a Linux partition and
> Linux O/S installed on my home computer. I did not install this on my
> computer. I purchased the system new in 2001 and have installed many
> applications and PNP devices into it over time and I am curious how
> someone
> would be able to do this and for what purpose. I have a DSL connection to
> the internet that is always on. I have used jump drives and external HDD
> for
> transferring files but mostly use the computer for web browsing and
> gaming.
> I have never used Linux and am desperate for answers. Is there some way,
> other than installing it myself, that this got onto my computer? Please
> help
> me understand.
>
> Thank you,

The only thing I am certain of is that I did not do it. The computer was
purchased from Dell in 2001. Configured by me and shipped to me. I have
called Dell and they say that it was built for me and shipped. I I have no
way of knowing if there was anything on the drive when it was configured for
me.

What is "Lindows"? Is that Linux? How old is it?

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> Someone with physical access to your computer installed Linux on your
> computer. I can not think of any way that an operating system can be
> installed over the internet, from a remote location.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
>
> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>

> "PaulK" <PaulK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Can someone please tell me how it's possible to have a Linux partition and
> > Linux O/S installed on my home computer. I did not install this on my
> > computer. I purchased the system new in 2001 and have installed many
> > applications and PNP devices into it over time and I am curious how
> > someone
> > would be able to do this and for what purpose. I have a DSL connection to
> > the internet that is always on. I have used jump drives and external HDD
> > for
> > transferring files but mostly use the computer for web browsing and
> > gaming.
> > I have never used Linux and am desperate for answers. Is there some way,
> > other than installing it myself, that this got onto my computer? Please
> > help
> > me understand.
> >
> > Thank you,

Malke

PaulK wrote:

> The only thing I am certain of is that I did not do it. The computer
> was
> purchased from Dell in 2001. Configured by me and shipped to me. I
> have
> called Dell and they say that it was built for me and shipped. I I
> have no way of knowing if there was anything on the drive when it was
> configured for me.
>
> What is "Lindows"? Is that Linux? How old is it?
>
> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> Someone with physical access to your computer installed Linux on your
>> computer. I can not think of any way that an operating system can be
>> installed over the internet, from a remote location.

Lindows is a Linux distribution (distro) aimed at new Linux users. If
you have Lindows, this is an older version. After Microsoft sued the
company for trademark infringement, the distro was renamed "Linspire".
I think this happened sometime last year.

There is no way Lindows or Linspire or any other Linux distro could have
magically appeared on your computer, particularly in a new partition,
unless someone with physical access to your computer installed it.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com