Deploy XP in a senior citizens center?

Ever teach a woman to drive? Ever teach an old woman to use the web? Oh my
gawd am I in trouble!

I've got to put together a solution to deploy into a former school remodeled
for 56 senior citizens some of which may have disabilities. I'd really like
to put a black box solution together supporting very limited applications
such as Word, e-mail and access to the web and perhaps nd residents may have
their own machines in their own room. The object of course to minimize
technical support as much as possible.

Before I start thinking of using Small Business Server I thought I'd ask
around for insight or opinions on what kind of deployment others may know of
or perhaps offer your suggestions...

<%= Clinton Gallagher

You might want to just use a Terminal Server. Then all you have to 'manage'
is that server, which beyond the setup shouldn't take much if it's just word
and email? This would allow you to simply install only windows xp on each
client computer, and put in a nice startup script or link on the desktop
which will automatically start the remote desktop to your terminal server.
From there, just set the default profile on your terminal server to how you
like it...then you only have to worry about 1 'outside line' connection (to
the internet) and the rest is all internal networking. This moves all of the
problems that can occur on individual clients to the server, hopefully you
wil restrict it so nobody can mess it up.
One thing to check into is that terminal server supports all of the licenses
for your apps, such as word and others...It might even be cheaper to get a
terminal server license for word than 50 individual licenses, but i have no
clue on that.

Hope this helps,
Jason Ryon
"clintonG" wrote:

> Ever teach a woman to drive? Ever teach an old woman to use the web? Oh my
> gawd am I in trouble!
>
> I've got to put together a solution to deploy into a former school remodeled
> for 56 senior citizens some of which may have disabilities. I'd really like
> to put a black box solution together supporting very limited applications
> such as Word, e-mail and access to the web and perhaps nd residents may have
> their own machines in their own room. The object of course to minimize
> technical support as much as possible.
>
> Before I start thinking of using Small Business Server I thought I'd ask
> around for insight or opinions on what kind of deployment others may know of
> or perhaps offer your suggestions...
>
> <%= Clinton Gallagher

Hey there, Clinton. Don't be a wise guy. I'm 82 and my senior citizen club
does not need to be restricted to "very limited" applications. Above all,
have access to the web. Then ask them what they want. You may be
surprised. We have rocket scientists, financial CEO's, and what not in our
club and the old ladies still drive.

clintonG wrote:
> Ever teach a woman to drive? Ever teach an old woman to use the web?
> Oh my gawd am I in trouble!
>
> I've got to put together a solution to deploy into a former school
> remodeled for 56 senior citizens some of which may have disabilities.
> I'd really like to put a black box solution together supporting very
> limited applications such as Word, e-mail and access to the web and
> perhaps nd residents may have their own machines in their own room.
> The object of course to minimize technical support as much as
> possible.
>
> Before I start thinking of using Small Business Server I thought I'd
> ask around for insight or opinions on what kind of deployment others
> may know of or perhaps offer your suggestions...
>
> <%= Clinton Gallagher

Get over yourself. My 80 year old partially blind mother has been quite web
wise for at least 7 years. I really have more problems teaching 50ish
engineers to use Word and Excel and to practice safe surfing than I have had
with her.

Yes, but you must admit that Excel is difficult. (I'm the Rocket Scientist
mentioned in my previous post.)

Philip K. wrote:
> Yes, but you must admit that Excel is difficult. (I'm the Rocket
> Scientist mentioned in my previous post.)

I couldn't tell you whether it is difficult or not. I seldom use it. I think
that anyone who can work with formulas can do excel. My biggest problem is
getting people to use help instead of expecting me to come running every
time they can't figure out something that is fairly elementary like changing
colors, formatting or fonts or whatever else. Even with more complicated
issues, I go into help (DUH!)and find the solution and they think I'm a
genius. Oh well, job security, I guess.