Source for HP male "expansion port 1" connector

Last response: in Laptop General Discussion
Share
August 9, 2008 6:34:52 PM

I have a Compaq r3000 with the same power port issue everyone else has had. Does anyone know of the name of the male "expansion port 1" connector and where I might get some? I have replaced the power jack on 30-40 of these machines and am sick of doing it. If I can find the connector I can make some adapters to give the laptops an alternate jack for power. HP says they wn't sell them to me. Thanks!
a b D Laptop
August 9, 2008 7:22:04 PM

HP should sell them to you - why won't they?
August 9, 2008 7:26:27 PM

They say they dont't have them or know who sells or makes them. The female part is called "16 module port Connects an optional port replicator" in the service manual. I could use several hundred of the male side to make alternate power plugs for my customers.
Related resources
a b D Laptop
August 9, 2008 7:45:12 PM

...I can't find anything on it. Nothing at all.

You could buy a few docking stations and take their ports out...I believe that's what the notebooks use.

The r3000 series use a proprietary power connector, if my memory serves me (or it could be the r6000..) that HAS to be annoying to replace.
August 9, 2008 9:41:32 PM

Yep, that is what I am planning on for a test one. The docking station will also show me which lead is + and which is -. I am getting nothing from HP. Here is my last email to them regarding their previous response:

My response to message below:
"I don't need the module port. I know it is an integral part of the motherboard. What I need is the male connector that plugs into it. The same connector that is at the end of the xc1000 (part number: 359680-001) that plugs into the module port. I would be happy to buy it from you if you sell it, or if you tell me the name of the connector I will look elsewhere. I have dozens of customers that will thank you for this research when we are successful! Thanks!
Bob
612-205-xxx"

*************************************

presarionotebook_support_en@mail.support.hp.com wrote:

> Hello Bob,
>
> Thank you for writing back.
>
> Bob, I would like to inform you that the module port is an integrated part of Motherboard, hence it is not possible to get the part seperately.
>
> I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
>
> If you need further assistance, please reply to this message and we will be happy to assist you further.
>
> For information on keeping your HP and Compaq products up and running, please visit our Web site at: http://www.hp.com/go/totalcare
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Jessie
> HP Total Care
a b D Laptop
August 9, 2008 10:03:39 PM

Sounds like someone didn't understand what you meant...again. I don't know what to tell you. You can buy docking stations and rip them up, but that's going to be awful expensive for so little gain.
August 10, 2008 12:37:34 AM

Yep. it will be ok for one, to test it. HP just sends prewritten responses to my questions. Here is their response and my response to the email above:

I wrote:
Please read my previous emails. I just need the connector that plugs into the module port on the r3000 and other compaq computers. I do not need the entire xc1000 media cable. As stated before, since HP has stopped making the xc1000 all-in-one media cable the price for those cables has risen so high that they now cost more than a replacement used laptop. I need the connector that plugs into the module port to fix the cold solder problem that HP quality control obviously missed on these computers. If you can give me the name of the connector, or something that works I can find it on my own. Otherwise I would be happy to buy the connector from you so I can wire it to provide power to the dozens of laptops I fix for local residents and small business. Listen, I know no one over their cares about HP customers. That most of these thousands of people that have had this problem will never buy another HP product. But, I care about my customers and want to give them an affordable fix for this problem. If you sell me or tell me the name of the connector that plugs into the module port I can do that. I can't suggest to them that they should buy a part that used to be $31, but because HP has decided to stop making them the price has gone up to $240. These people already dislike HP. If I tell them something like that they will hate HP. So, please stop sending me canned responses and send this email over to someone that will sell me the parts so I can affordably fix these machines.

presarionotebook_support_en@mail.support.hp.com wrote:

> Hello Bob,
>
> Thank you for writing back.
>
> Bob, as per your wish you may purchase by following any of the below given URL's:
>
> http://www.impactcomputers.com/359680-001.html
>
> http://www.ambry.com/page/search.asp?partnumber=359680-...
>
> http://www.spares4it.it/parts/359680-001/
a b D Laptop
August 10, 2008 1:12:48 AM

pwned. lol
September 10, 2008 12:07:26 AM

Hi,
I've been trying to make the same exact product for the past couple of months, ever since my laptop broke and I had to shell out a ton of money for a XC1000. I've got a preliminary patent filed, and I'm working with a cable manufacturer to reverse engineer the XC1000. At this point, I'm in the same boat as you, trying to figure out who makes those connectors for HP. Starting from scratch is going to cost a lot, but I'll probably go that route if necessary. Let me know if you find anything else out and want to work together in some way.

Cheers,

Mike Hurren

April 28, 2009 3:07:05 PM

mikehurren said:
Hi,
I've been trying to make the same exact product for the past couple of months, ever since my laptop broke and I had to shell out a ton of money for a XC1000. I've got a preliminary patent filed, and I'm working with a cable manufacturer to reverse engineer the XC1000. At this point, I'm in the same boat as you, trying to figure out who makes those connectors for HP. Starting from scratch is going to cost a lot, but I'll probably go that route if necessary. Let me know if you find anything else out and want to work together in some way.

Cheers,

Mike Hurren

August 8, 2009 1:23:18 PM

I'm trying to fix my laptop, I was thinking I'd just attach the wires directly to the docking port not as elegant as an adaptor, but functional. My problem is I don't know which pin is + and which is - . When you find out could you post please?

Thanks much.
-Cam
a b D Laptop
August 8, 2009 5:36:00 PM

Plug it in and break out a multimeter.
December 28, 2009 11:09:13 AM

Were you ever able to find the connector? I could sure use one.

Bill
bnbinns@mail.com

I wrote:
Please read my previous emails. I just need the connector that plugs into the module port on the r3000 and other compaq computers. I do not need the entire xc1000 media cable. As stated before, since HP has stopped making the xc1000 all-in-one media cable the price for those cables has risen so high that they now cost more than a replacement used laptop. I need the connector that plugs into the module port to fix the cold solder problem that HP quality control obviously missed on these computers. If you can give me the name of the connector, or something that works I can find it on my own. Otherwise I would be happy to buy the connector from you so I can wire it to provide power to the dozens of laptops I fix for local residents and small business. Listen, I know no one over their cares about HP customers. That most of these thousands of people that have had this problem will never buy another HP product. But, I care about my customers and want to give them an affordable fix for this problem. If you sell me or tell me the name of the connector that plugs into the module port I can do that. I can't suggest to them that they should buy a part that used to be $31, but because HP has decided to stop making them the price has gone up to $240. These people already dislike HP. If I tell them something like that they will hate HP. So, please stop sending me canned responses and send this email over to someone that will sell me the parts so I can affordably fix these machines.

presarionotebook_support_en@mail.support.hp.com wrote:

> Hello Bob,
>
> Thank you for writing back.
>
> Bob, as per your wish you may purchase by following any of the below given URL's:
>
> http://www.impactcomputers.com/359680-001.html
>
> http://www.ambry.com/page/search.asp?partnumber=359680-...
>
> http://www.spares4it.it/parts/359680-001/

December 28, 2009 11:13:26 AM

mikehurren said:
Hi,
I've been trying to make the same exact product for the past couple of months, ever since my laptop broke and I had to shell out a ton of money for a XC1000. I've got a preliminary patent filed, and I'm working with a cable manufacturer to reverse engineer the XC1000. At this point, I'm in the same boat as you, trying to figure out who makes those connectors for HP. Starting from scratch is going to cost a lot, but I'll probably go that route if necessary. Let me know if you find anything else out and want to work together in some way.

Cheers,

Mike Hurren

July 10, 2012 9:54:49 AM

It's a bit late in the game, I know, but people may still be interested in this as I was.

This is the connector:
JAE DD2P040MA1 (Connector)
JAE DD2B040HA2 (board mount)
available at Digikey.

The socket on the computer is,
DD2R040HP2

They are all $8-11.

I don't have schematics or pinouts. If anyone has them please post.

Good luck all.

!