DOSX.EXE Missing?

Hello everyone,

I'm having quite the odd problem and I'm hoping someone here can help.

I've been attempting to install some software, and I keep getting an
error saying that DOSX.EXE is missing or not in my path (16-bit
subsystem error). Now, here's the deal. My Autoexec.nt and config.nt
files are fine, and it appears that DOSX.EXE is missing completely
from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32.

The kicker here is when I attempt to expand DOSX.EX_ to
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32, it still doesn't appear. So I tried moving it to
C:\. Again, no dice, it doesn't appear. So I decided to try moving
it to a thumb drive from another computer onto this one. The instant
I plugged in the Thumb drive, it's not showing on the Thumb Drive
either.

So I expanded DOSX.EX_ to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32, and kept the name
DOSX.EX_. When I attempted to rename DOSX.EX_ to DOSX.EXE, the system
gave me an error saying the file was already there, that I couldn't
rename it to DOSX.EXE.

I have the system set to show hidden files and folders, I have the
system set to not hide protected OS files. At this point, I'm lost as
to where I could go from here.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Curt

matt

I would try to use command prompt, and when you open it type this:::

RECOVER [drive:(then the drive)] [path(the path)](then filename)

Or you can go to Command Prompt and type help then ENTER and look for a
action that fits your needs, and type in the action, for ex: RECOVER /? to
find out how to use that action.

"YDKCooKiE" wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm having quite the odd problem and I'm hoping someone here can help.
>
> I've been attempting to install some software, and I keep getting an
> error saying that DOSX.EXE is missing or not in my path (16-bit
> subsystem error). Now, here's the deal. My Autoexec.nt and config.nt
> files are fine, and it appears that DOSX.EXE is missing completely
> from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32.
>
> The kicker here is when I attempt to expand DOSX.EX_ to
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32, it still doesn't appear. So I tried moving it to
> C:\. Again, no dice, it doesn't appear. So I decided to try moving
> it to a thumb drive from another computer onto this one. The instant
> I plugged in the Thumb drive, it's not showing on the Thumb Drive
> either.
>
> So I expanded DOSX.EX_ to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32, and kept the name
> DOSX.EX_. When I attempted to rename DOSX.EX_ to DOSX.EXE, the system
> gave me an error saying the file was already there, that I couldn't
> rename it to DOSX.EXE.
>
> I have the system set to show hidden files and folders, I have the
> system set to not hide protected OS files. At this point, I'm lost as
> to where I could go from here.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Curt

Hi,

This KB article can be of some help to you:

"16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem" Error Message When You Install a Program
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314452

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

In memory of Alex Nichol

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"YDKCooKiE" <ydkcookie@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm having quite the odd problem and I'm hoping someone here can help.
>
> I've been attempting to install some software, and I keep getting an
> error saying that DOSX.EXE is missing or not in my path (16-bit
> subsystem error). Now, here's the deal. My Autoexec.nt and config.nt
> files are fine, and it appears that DOSX.EXE is missing completely
> from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32.
>
> The kicker here is when I attempt to expand DOSX.EX_ to
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32, it still doesn't appear. So I tried moving it to
> C:\. Again, no dice, it doesn't appear. So I decided to try moving
> it to a thumb drive from another computer onto this one. The instant
> I plugged in the Thumb drive, it's not showing on the Thumb Drive
> either.
>
> So I expanded DOSX.EX_ to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32, and kept the name
> DOSX.EX_. When I attempted to rename DOSX.EX_ to DOSX.EXE, the system
> gave me an error saying the file was already there, that I couldn't
> rename it to DOSX.EXE.
>
> I have the system set to show hidden files and folders, I have the
> system set to not hide protected OS files. At this point, I'm lost as
> to where I could go from here.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Curt

Neither of those errors are the error I'm getting, but I'll take a
look-see!

Thanks,
Curt

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 20:40:42 -0300, "Anando [MS-MVP]"
<anando@mvps.org> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>This KB article can be of some help to you:
>
>"16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem" Error Message When You Install a Program
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314452

Lemme see how that goes, but, why wouldn't it appear on my flash
drive? That's what's really getting me, the system doesn't even see
the file on removable storage, yet every other PC I try it is on the
drive. I'm pretty well lost, and I've tried three different spyware
programs, three antivirus programs, all found nothing on the system.

Curt