Bugs in LCD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brgr88

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
I am at this moment watching a tiny little bug crawl around the inside of my LCD screen. 8O

Has anyone ever had this happen before, and what to do besides taking it apart? I notice the screen pushes in a bit if I put my finger on it, can I squash it like this or risk breaking something?

cobz

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
haha thats great! i would risk squishing it cuz it takes a lot to damage a LCD. But wouldn't punch it... i crcked the inside of mine doing that and now it has a big white block on 1 side of it so i need a new 1 xD

But yer.. squish it.. but that is so cool!

picture_perfect

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2003
thats hard to explain....apparently the female lcd bug deposited her eggs within the pixels during assembly, after which the hatching larve fed on the crunchy liquid crystals while they matured to adulthood. needless to say, image quality should suffer.

cobz

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
i didnt think it could be done but sumhow u made this topic turn slightly boring =<

Anyway dude, take i back and get it looked at.

picture_perfect

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2003
then my advice would be not to squish it. let it crawl out of sight and die. otherwise it might smear the screen. if it does die on screen, a few shakes might drop it down later.

Arucard

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Squishing the bug will mean, instead of having one crawl around until death, you will have a crunchy bug smear in your vision that you can never clean off.

schoeby

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
Kewl. I have one of these pets now. He's deffinately an arachnid . At first I thought it was a virus or someone playing a joke on me. After a few hours of him hiding around the edges and only coming out sometimes, I finally was able to catch him in the middle of the screen. Only then was I able to determine he was real by my tapping on the screen affecing which way he would go. Then after realizing it was alive and a freak out moment, I hit the screen pretty hard. This caused his silhouette to get less sharp. It appears he was on the other side of the void so his legs were facing away from me. Before his legs must have been facing me, hence he was closer to the translucent ?crystals? and his image more sharp. It's pretty cool he has been hiding out and going to different areas of the sceen. He seems, to prefer the light areas when the screen is mostly dark.

It will be fun if he stays. Over the holiday, I might build a maze and see if he stays in the darker areas. I would probably need to build it from light to dark with bright white edges or walls so he would continue in the right direction. Anyhow, back to work.

DerekRWatson

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
These bugs are around in hot weather (in July in the UK). They are about 1-2mm long, crawl quite fast (to start with) and have wings. Somehow they get into flat panel monitors and picture frames. If you have a tiny dark line on your monitor that is 1-2mm long and less than 1mm thick then it is not a problem with the pixels, it is one of these bugs that has died.

Unfortunately it will stay there until it turns to dust which is about 9-12 months. My advice if you have one of these bugs inside your monitor is to turn your monitor OFF immediately and leave it off overnight, as the bug will be attracted to the screen pixels. There is a chance if it still has enough life in it that it will crawl somewhere else before it dies. When it is bug season keep some bug repellent near your monitors. It is no fun having your eye drawn to a dead bug thousands of times a month.

alexliz

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
What can I say? I've used laptops since 2001, and it's the first time I am hit with this. Two little gnats under my screen panel last night. Fortunately I resisted the urge to squash them, for the express reason stated above.

I turned the screen off, put a ceiling fan on to cool the computer, hoped for the best, and in the morning one of them had emigrated, the other one is now a permanent feature in a highly visible spot as it died there.

Do you happen to know for sure if these things will eventually disappear one way or another? Or shall I brush up on my display disassembly skills from ifixit.com?

mohitx7

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

Hi Derek,
Unfortunately i have one bug stuck in my LCD. Are you sure on your info that these bugs will rot in about 12 months? And can the LCD monitor can be get cleaned for the bug from good repair centers. If it rots away in 12 months, its fine or do you suggest getting my lcd cleaned .
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.