Sign in with
Your question

Worth repairing?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 8, 2005 1:25:10 PM

About a month ago I posted a message on the graphics card board about weird display problems I was having. Now I think it's a monitor problem. After an hour or so, my display would begin to get darker and turn a purplish color. The size of the image would also get larger. In fact, it would get so wide you couldn't see the File menu on the left or the Min/Max/Close buttons on the right. Lately, it's been getting worse and the problem comes up after only about 10 minutes (especially when viewing dark screens or games). I found that if I turn my monitor off for a couple of minutes and then turn it back on everything is back to normal for a bit. I've been toying with either looking into getting this monitor fixed or buying a new Hyundai 19" LCD display. First, does it sound like the monitor and second, is it worth fixing it?

Thanks.

More about : worth repairing

March 8, 2005 5:13:03 PM

How old is monitor? Try swapping monitor with another one just to verify that it is the monitor and not cable, card or something else.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
March 8, 2005 9:35:12 PM

Well, the monitor is kind of an old boy. It's a ViewSonic PF790 that I bought new back in August of 2000. The reason I think it's the monitor and not the card or cable is because the problem will go away if I turn the monitor off and let it sit a few minutes.
Related resources
March 8, 2005 11:57:17 PM

Wow, I am working on that same monitor, PF790, May 2001!

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
March 9, 2005 9:14:21 AM

Uh, oh. . .

°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
". . . it said thank you God,for thinkin' bout' me. I'm alive and doin' fine!" :) 

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Warpspasm on 03/09/05 11:35 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
!