Closing Control Panel window

Why do I get the "default beep" everytime I close the control panel window?
Even if I don't do anything within the control panel, I still get that "ding"
when I close the window, indicating some sort of error...
5 answers Last reply
More about closing control panel window

    Do you get the same beep sound while closing other Windows. It could be the
    Sound events set. This could be done through Control Panel -> Sounds and
    Multimedia -> Sounds tab.

    "operaflute" wrote:

    > Why do I get the "default beep" everytime I close the control panel window?
    > Even if I don't do anything within the control panel, I still get that "ding"
    > when I close the window, indicating some sort of error...

    Nope - just when I close control panel and, I just noticed, when I close IE.
    Definitely new as of today, and can't think of anything I did that would
    cause this.

    "Jason_thekiller" wrote:

    > Do you get the same beep sound while closing other Windows. It could be the
    > Sound events set. This could be done through Control Panel -> Sounds and
    > Multimedia -> Sounds tab.
    >
    > "operaflute" wrote:
    >
    > > Why do I get the "default beep" everytime I close the control panel window?
    > > Even if I don't do anything within the control panel, I still get that "ding"
    > > when I close the window, indicating some sort of error...

    If you are sure, that there is sound scheme set, then you can try the
    following method to isolate the issue. Open Control Panel and close it. Then
    Right click My Computer -> Manage.
    Click + sign besides Event Viewer and click on System category.
    Then click the first entry in the Right hand pane of the Window and let me
    know the error log entered.

    "operaflute" wrote:

    > Nope - just when I close control panel and, I just noticed, when I close IE.
    > Definitely new as of today, and can't think of anything I did that would
    > cause this.
    >
    > "Jason_thekiller" wrote:
    >
    > > Do you get the same beep sound while closing other Windows. It could be the
    > > Sound events set. This could be done through Control Panel -> Sounds and
    > > Multimedia -> Sounds tab.
    > >
    > > "operaflute" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Why do I get the "default beep" everytime I close the control panel window?
    > > > Even if I don't do anything within the control panel, I still get that "ding"
    > > > when I close the window, indicating some sort of error...

    Now that's a handy little tool I didn't know about. However, in this
    instance, it is not logging any sort of error after the "default beep."

    "Jason_thekiller" wrote:

    > If you are sure, that there is sound scheme set, then you can try the
    > following method to isolate the issue. Open Control Panel and close it. Then
    > Right click My Computer -> Manage.
    > Click + sign besides Event Viewer and click on System category.
    > Then click the first entry in the Right hand pane of the Window and let me
    > know the error log entered.
    >
    > "operaflute" wrote:
    >
    > > Nope - just when I close control panel and, I just noticed, when I close IE.
    > > Definitely new as of today, and can't think of anything I did that would
    > > cause this.
    > >
    > > "Jason_thekiller" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Do you get the same beep sound while closing other Windows. It could be the
    > > > Sound events set. This could be done through Control Panel -> Sounds and
    > > > Multimedia -> Sounds tab.

    I'm still having this issue, and have noticed that it happens in:

    Control Panel
    My Computer
    The explore and search windows
    IE

    Anyone know what the common denominator is with all these? Makes me nuts.

Control Panel Default Microsoft Windows XP