Dual ddr for amd/intel

diabol

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2004
Somewhere in a previous post i read that dual channel memory was made so that ram could catch up intel's 800fsb.
But how could it be helpful to amd processors that have 400 or less fsb?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It isn't. The fastest nForce2 400 boards match the fastest nForce2 400 Ultra boards in performance.

nVidia used dual channel to stagger timing for reduced latency. It had a small performance gain, but it was so small as to not be worth noting for most configurations.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

diabol

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2004
Then should i simply buy a 512mb ddr400 cl3
or rather go for 2x256mb ddr400 cl3 and use dual channel?
My processor is amd athlon xp 2600+ fsb 333.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by diabol on 03/29/04 10:45 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think you'd see simply results using Cas2.5 single channel to using Cas3 in dual channel on a XP series processor.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

diabol

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2004
Maybe, but problem is i can't find 512mb(or 256) with cl2.5 in greece(yeah thats where i live)unless i pick ddr333, which i dont really want since i'm thinking to overclock the cpu later. So what should i do....?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sorry for the confusion. You do get a very small performance increase using Dual Channel mode on nVidia's dual-channel chipsets for XP processors. The difference is SO small that it's probably not be worth the added cost of buying 2 smaller modules rather than 1 big one.

TRENDING THREADS