MY 80Gig went out!!

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
My 80gig Western Digital stoped working on me. I think i have some bad clusters or somthing. Are there any programs out there that can help fix this, or at least get it working again. 7200 rpm's is alot faster than this 5400 rpm 40gig i have spare. I miss my 8 meg cache already ;(

"If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a
wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
I formated the harddrive and its working, but when i try and install windows on it, windows says that it cant creat a folder on it and cancels.

wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Yes i have. Several times.

grafixmonkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2004
Hard drives fail sometimes. It's something that will eventually happen to almost every drive.

Get a low-level scanning utility from the manufacturer's website, and do a full scan of the disk using a bootable floppy. That will tell you if there are errors on the disk surface itself. If you need information off of the disk and can't get it, there are recovery programs that will retrieve it even though the drive is dead. (R-Studio from R-Labs is the one I tried, but it costs money.)

I personally am going to think about moving to SCSI for single-disk systems. I'm running into lots of reliability problems with IDE drives.

TRENDING THREADS