Help undo important changes post SP1 updates

Hi; A week after updating to most current Windows SP1critical updates (its
only change I can
think of) I happen to notice that I cannot run a disk error check, I am told
that its a NTFS file system and Win cannot open volume for check. Also when
I start computer I have to log on with my password every. I have tried to
eliminate the password requirement to no avail. I cannot return to
pre-update status with System Restore because its been a week and there is
too much new data in the system. This is a free standing desktop PC. Can
anyone help with these two things? I hope so as I do my error check
regularly and find it frustrating to have to log on every time I restart .
Thanks, Josie
8 answers Last reply
More about help undo important post updates

    number one, you need to update to service pack 2. number two, you might need
    to go to my computer, add remove hardware, and unclick client for microsoft
    networks.

    josie wrote:

    > Hi; A week after updating to most current Windows SP1critical updates (its
    > only change I can
    > think of) I happen to notice that I cannot run a disk error check, I am told
    > that its a NTFS file system and Win cannot open volume for check. Also when
    > I start computer I have to log on with my password every. I have tried to
    > eliminate the password requirement to no avail. I cannot return to
    > pre-update status with System Restore because its been a week and there is
    > too much new data in the system. This is a free standing desktop PC. Can
    > anyone help with these two things? I hope so as I do my error check
    > regularly and find it frustrating to have to log on every time I restart .
    > Thanks, Josie

    To logon automatically:

    1. Go to Start | Run and type in: control userpasswords2 | Ok.

    2. On the Users tab, clear the Users Must Enter A User Name And Password
    To Use This Computer check box and then click OK.

    3. In the Automatically Log On dialog box that appears, type the user
    name and password for the account you want to be logged on each time you
    start your computer.

    You can accomplish the same thing by:

    Download and install tweakui for xp and use its auto logon feature.

    Lastly you can add the Dialog box that comes up when running control
    userpasswords 2 to the Control Panel with the following tweak:

    Add Control User Passwords2 to the Control Panel (Line 1)

    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    This for both Camilla and Rock:
    - I could not follow Camilla's suggestion. Not sure you meant CP-Add remove
    Hardware. Still unable to run Disk error check.
    - Tried Rock's idea and found that in step #2, the box was already clear and
    in step #3, no Automatically log on box appeared or found anywhere.

    Please help, I have decided to upgrade to SP2 and wonder if these two issues
    will create a problem post upgrade. One of the reasons I have not gone to
    SP2 is the horror stories I heard from friends. I'd like to know if not
    checking for errors prior to upgrade will be a problem and if that will
    continue to be a problem afterward. Your comments will be more than
    appreciated. Josie

    "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
    > josie wrote:
    >
    > > Hi; A week after updating to most current Windows SP1critical updates
    (its
    > > only change I can
    > > think of) I happen to notice that I cannot run a disk error check, I am
    told
    > > that its a NTFS file system and Win cannot open volume for check. Also
    when
    > > I start computer I have to log on with my password every. I have tried
    > > eliminate the password requirement to no avail. I cannot return to
    > > pre-update status with System Restore because its been a week and there
    is
    > > too much new data in the system. This is a free standing desktop PC. Can
    > > anyone help with these two things? I hope so as I do my error check
    > > regularly and find it frustrating to have to log on every time I restart
    ..
    > > Thanks, Josie
    > >

    > To logon automatically:
    >
    > 1. Go to Start | Run and type in: control userpasswords2 | Ok.
    >
    > 2. On the Users tab, clear the Users Must Enter A User Name And Password
    > To Use This Computer check box and then click OK.
    >
    > 3. In the Automatically Log On dialog box that appears, type the user
    > name and password for the account you want to be logged on each time you
    > start your computer.
    >
    > You can accomplish the same thing by:
    >
    > Download and install tweakui for xp and use its auto logon feature.
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
    >
    > Lastly you can add the Dialog box that comes up when running control
    > userpasswords 2 to the Control Panel with the following tweak:
    >
    > Add Control User Passwords2 to the Control Panel (Line 1)

    > Rock
    > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Forgot to mention last time that prior to posting I had tried using Tweak
    UI and did not work either. Thanks again.
    "josie" <josie63@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > This for both Camilla and Rock:
    > - I could not follow Camilla's suggestion. Not sure you meant CP-Add
    remove
    > Hardware. Still unable to run Disk error check.
    > - Tried Rock's idea and found that in step #2, the box was already clear
    and
    > in step #3, no Automatically log on box appeared or found anywhere.
    >
    > Please help, I have decided to upgrade to SP2 and wonder if these two
    issues
    > will create a problem post upgrade. One of the reasons I have not gone to
    > SP2 is the horror stories I heard from friends. I'd like to know if not
    > checking for errors prior to upgrade will be a problem and if that will
    > continue to be a problem afterward. Your comments will be more than
    > appreciated. Josie
    >

    > "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
    > > josie wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi; A week after updating to most current Windows SP1critical
    updates
    > (its
    > > > only change I can
    > > > think of) I happen to notice that I cannot run a disk error check, I
    am
    > told
    > > > that its a NTFS file system and Win cannot open volume for check. Also
    > when
    > > > I start computer I have to log on with my password every. I have
    tried
    > > > eliminate the password requirement to no avail. I cannot return to
    > > > pre-update status with System Restore because its been a week and
    there
    > is
    > > > too much new data in the system. This is a free standing desktop PC.
    Can
    > > > anyone help with these two things? I hope so as I do my error check
    > > > regularly and find it frustrating to have to log on every time I
    restart
    > .
    > > > Thanks, Josie
    > > >

    > > To logon automatically:
    > >
    > > 1. Go to Start | Run and type in: control userpasswords2 | Ok.
    > >
    > > 2. On the Users tab, clear the Users Must Enter A User Name And Password
    > > To Use This Computer check box and then click OK.
    > >
    > > 3. In the Automatically Log On dialog box that appears, type the user
    > > name and password for the account you want to be logged on each time you
    > > start your computer.
    > >
    > > You can accomplish the same thing by:
    > >
    > > Download and install tweakui for xp and use its auto logon feature.
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
    > >
    > > Lastly you can add the Dialog box that comes up when running control
    > > userpasswords 2 to the Control Panel with the following tweak:
    > >
    > > Add Control User Passwords2 to the Control Panel (Line 1)
    > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    > >

    > > --
    > > Rock
    > > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Hi josie, what you need is to have minimal things running,
    1. you need to do a disk cleanup, check everything in the boxes.
    2.go to start, type msconfig, startup tab, uncheck everything in the boxes,
    except maybe your norton files.
    3. restart your computer
    4. try right clicking on your your norton, and disable it
    5. Double click on my computer, go to the tools, try the disk cleanup then,
    if it says to do it on restart, then so be it, restart your computer,
    hopefully that will work~~

    6. then do your defrag

    "josie" wrote:

    > Forgot to mention last time that prior to posting I had tried using Tweak
    > UI and did not work either. Thanks again.
    > "josie" <josie63@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > This for both Camilla and Rock:
    > > - I could not follow Camilla's suggestion. Not sure you meant CP-Add
    > remove
    > > Hardware. Still unable to run Disk error check.
    > > - Tried Rock's idea and found that in step #2, the box was already clear
    > and
    > > in step #3, no Automatically log on box appeared or found anywhere.
    > >
    > > Please help, I have decided to upgrade to SP2 and wonder if these two
    > issues
    > > will create a problem post upgrade. One of the reasons I have not gone to
    > > SP2 is the horror stories I heard from friends. I'd like to know if not
    > > checking for errors prior to upgrade will be a problem and if that will
    > > continue to be a problem afterward. Your comments will be more than
    > > appreciated. Josie
    > >

    > > "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message

    > updates
    > > (its
    > am
    > > told
    > > when
    > tried
    > there
    > > is
    > Can
    > restart
    > > .
    > > > >

    > > > To logon automatically:
    > > >
    > > > 1. Go to Start | Run and type in: control userpasswords2 | Ok.
    > > >
    > > > 2. On the Users tab, clear the Users Must Enter A User Name And Password
    > > > To Use This Computer check box and then click OK.
    > > >
    > > > 3. In the Automatically Log On dialog box that appears, type the user
    > > > name and password for the account you want to be logged on each time you
    > > > start your computer.
    > > >
    > > > You can accomplish the same thing by:
    > > >
    > > > Download and install tweakui for xp and use its auto logon feature.
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
    > > >
    > > > Lastly you can add the Dialog box that comes up when running control
    > > > userpasswords 2 to the Control Panel with the following tweak:
    > > >
    > > > Add Control User Passwords2 to the Control Panel (Line 1)
    > > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > Rock
    > > > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Camile, thanks.Would you believe that just prior to your response I happened
    ti install the newer version of Norton AV 2005 and after rebooting error
    checking started automatically. Why would that be that the disk volume was
    then released for checking? I still get the user login window though. Any
    other thoughts?
    Regards.

    "Camille" <Camille@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi josie, what you need is to have minimal things running,
    > 1. you need to do a disk cleanup, check everything in the boxes.
    > 2.go to start, type msconfig, startup tab, uncheck everything in the
    boxes,
    > except maybe your norton files.
    > 3. restart your computer
    > 4. try right clicking on your your norton, and disable it
    > 5. Double click on my computer, go to the tools, try the disk cleanup
    then,
    > if it says to do it on restart, then so be it, restart your computer,
    > hopefully that will work~~
    >
    > 6. then do your defrag
    >
    > "josie" wrote:
    >
    > > Forgot to mention last time that prior to posting I had tried using
    Tweak
    > > UI and did not work either. Thanks again.
    > > "josie" <josie63@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > This for both Camilla and Rock:
    > > > - I could not follow Camilla's suggestion. Not sure you meant CP-Add
    > > remove
    > > > Hardware. Still unable to run Disk error check.
    > > > - Tried Rock's idea and found that in step #2, the box was already
    clear
    > > and
    > > > in step #3, no Automatically log on box appeared or found anywhere.
    > > >
    > > > Please help, I have decided to upgrade to SP2 and wonder if these two
    > > issues
    > > > will create a problem post upgrade. One of the reasons I have not gone
    > > > SP2 is the horror stories I heard from friends. I'd like to know if
    not
    > > > checking for errors prior to upgrade will be a problem and if that
    will
    > > > continue to be a problem afterward. Your comments will be more than
    > > > appreciated. Josie
    > > >

    > > > "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message

    > > updates
    > > > (its
    > > am
    > > > told
    Also
    > > > when
    > > tried
    > > there
    > > > is
    PC.
    > > Can
    > > restart
    > > > .

    Password

    Josie, keep the info i gave you, you will have disable norton alot, it does
    control what you do on your computer sometimes, just next time, disable
    norton on the task bar, if you have thinks on your task bar it won't run, its
    too much stuff on RAM. Keep what i sent you about the msconfig, you don't
    need alot of stuff on your task bar.

    Whether or not you're on a local area network, odds are you don't really
    need the little logon (login) screen asking for your username and password
    that comes up when starting Windows. To remove this prompt, follow the
    following directions:

    Windows XP - solution 1:
    Select Run from the Start Menu, type control userpasswords2, and click Ok.
    Turn off the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer
    option, and click Ok.

    Windows XP - solution 2:
    If you have one user account and no password configured, Windows XP will log
    you in automatically. Otherwise, you'll have to do the following:

    Obtain and install the Windows XP version of TweakUI.
    Open TweakUI (it's in Start -> Programs -> Powertoys for Windows XP).
    Expand the Logon branch, and click Autologon.
    Turn on the Log on automatically at system startup option, type your
    username and password, and click Ok.

    "Josie" wrote:

    > Camile, thanks.Would you believe that just prior to your response I happened
    > ti install the newer version of Norton AV 2005 and after rebooting error
    > checking started automatically. Why would that be that the disk volume was
    > then released for checking? I still get the user login window though. Any
    > other thoughts?
    > Regards.
    >

    > "Camille" <Camille@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi josie, what you need is to have minimal things running,
    > > 1. you need to do a disk cleanup, check everything in the boxes.
    > > 2.go to start, type msconfig, startup tab, uncheck everything in the
    > boxes,
    > > except maybe your norton files.
    > > 3. restart your computer
    > > 4. try right clicking on your your norton, and disable it
    > > 5. Double click on my computer, go to the tools, try the disk cleanup
    > then,
    > > if it says to do it on restart, then so be it, restart your computer,
    > > hopefully that will work~~
    > >
    > > 6. then do your defrag
    > >
    > > "josie" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Forgot to mention last time that prior to posting I had tried using
    > Tweak
    > > > UI and did not work either. Thanks again.
    > > > "josie" <josie63@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > remove
    > clear
    > > > and

    > > > issues
    > not
    > will

    > > > updates
    > > > am
    > Also
    > > > tried
    > > > there
    > PC.
    > > > Can
    > check
    > > > restart

    > Password

    > user
    > you

    I could not reply to this sooner to thank you. I will try everything you
    suggest. Thanks you, I learn from people like you willing to explain. Josie
> [...]
    was
    > > then released for checking? I still get the user login window though.
    Any
    > > other thoughts?
    > > Regards.
    > >

    > > "Camille" <Camille@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi josie, what you need is to have minimal things running,
    > > > 1. you need to do a disk cleanup, check everything in the boxes.
    > > > 2.go to start, type msconfig, startup tab, uncheck everything in the
    > > boxes,
    > > > except maybe your norton files.
    > > > 3. restart your computer
    > > > 4. try right clicking on your your norton, and disable it
    > > > 5. Double click on my computer, go to the tools, try the disk cleanup
    > > then,
    > > > if it says to do it on restart, then so be it, restart your computer,

Windows XP