memory problem on asus board

astralzebra

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
I just picked up 2 identical 512mb PC2100/DDR266 memory modules. If I plug either into any of the 3 available slots, my computer boots and runs properly. If I plug in both new modules, my computer will not boot (loud repeating system beep occurs, doesn't even get to post).

As both memory modules are brand new, and both work independently, I don't believe the memory is defective. I've read some postings on various boards (although they never come to a conclusion) about this kind of problem (2 512 modules not working as a pair).

I have an Asus A7V266-E mobo with Athlon XP 2000+. I've tried changing the memory voltage jumpers, in case it had to do with power, but that did not work. I've also played around with the BIOS a bit, but wasn't able to make an impact doing that either. I've tried using the memory sticks in all combinations of the 3 available slots (1/2, 1/3, 2/3). If I have more than one in at a time, my system won't boot.

Would love to hear any additional ideas for troubleshooting this and getting the memory to work. I'm not an overclocker and am not extremely knowledgable about BIOS/CMOS changes. So after many trial-and-error attempts ato make it work, and in not finding any answers in net searches, I thought I'd post here to see if anyone had encountered this problem before.

astralzebra

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
Thanks for the link.

In reading through these postings, it appears that there are 2 solutions they suggest to get the memory to work:

1) A7V266 requires BIOS version 1002.004e or later to enable registered DDR SDRAM support

OR

2) Please check whether your memory chip is x4 or x8. The VIA chipsets(VIA KT266 series) on A7V266 series has the limitation of not being able to support x4 registered SDRAM modules.

I don't believe #1 applies to my situation (I have BIOS Rev 1006).

#2 could be a possibility, however unfortunately I have no idea what 'x4 or x8' refers to... can someone enlighten me on this?

Thanks!

G

It has to do with the memory density. Usually you can see it in the memory specs.
i.e.:GeIL 3.5ns 32x8 Density DDR Chip.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OMG, THANKS! I KNEW there had to be a logical reason why half of the VIA chipset boards that cross my path won't work right with 1/3 of the memory modules I've tried in them...I always assumed it was because VIA made crap!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>