Sign in with
Your question

160GB Maxtor Slow + loud??

Last response: in Storage
March 29, 2004 9:13:28 AM

Hey

I recently purchased a 160GB ATA Maxtor (7200 RPM with 8MB cache). I am a bit worried about it for two reasons:
1. it is slow. I usualy only get rates of about 12000 Kb/s, compared to 24000 Kb/s (measured with total copy).
2. It is quite noisy. It makes quite a racket when copying, this is not the classic clicky-oh-my-gosh-my-drive-has-crashed noise, but it is just a loud reading noise.

I thought the Diamond Max series was supposed to be quiet! I can hear the drive from across the room!

Any suggestions/comments?

More about : 160gb maxtor slow loud

March 30, 2004 5:45:54 AM

Any ideas at all??

Anyone?
March 31, 2004 2:18:51 AM

so what if it is audible when working, it is nice to hear the PC alive and working, it is bad when it is not working and quiet

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
Related resources
March 31, 2004 5:05:48 AM

Holla from the east side playa!! o.0

Here's the deal. With regards to 1, check if DMA is enabled on that channel for the hdd. What other devices (if any) are attached to that channel?
2 it seems there is just lots of vibration of the hdd in the case. What I suggest is u check that everything is tight and the screws r secure. If that doesn't work, put a tad of felt padding between the hdd and metal of case to absorb it.

SEX is like math. Add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs, and hope you dont multiply
!