So.. I had this laptop Windows 7 Home Premium stored on my shelf for almost 2 years. In other words, I haven't used/turned on the laptop for a very long time.
I'm going to college soon and so I thought I should bring my laptop with me. In preparation, I turned on the laptop and went into my admin desktop. Here's what I did:
(1) Updated Java to Java 6 Update 32
(2) Uninstalled old version of Java, which was Java 6 Update 20 - by Sun Microsystems but was later owned by Oracle
(3) Uninstalled some trusted useless programs from 2 years ago
(4) Uninstalled AVG that was installed 2 years ago.
(5) Installed/Updated Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)
(6) Ran a quick scan with no threats
(7) Right now, I am installing 68 updates for Windows 7
Now, here's the problem... While I was scanning with MSE, I noticed my command prompt popped up for no particular reason and then it disappeared for a split second. It went too fast, I couldn't read what it had said on the prompt.
Same thing happened when I rebooted my laptop, and the first thing I saw upon desktop was my command prompt opening and then closing.
I researched a little, and people said it's most likely a virus or malware. Is this true? Did this happen to anyone?
I didn't even use the laptop for such a long time.. Can it still get infected? When I first got the laptop, I didn't went to suspicious websites nor downloaded any suspicious programs... I swear to the Holy Bible..
One of the example i have seen doing this is amd's catalyst control center on some computers like mine old computer it will flash the com prompt just for a second or two,probably nothing to worry about.
and like dodger46 said update your antivirus and run a full scan