Trojans detected in restore points - removal?

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

McAfee virus program keeps telling me that a trojan and been detected and
deleted (apparently not really deleted since the message keeps coming up)
but there appear to be seven or so in files that appear to be restore point
files in "C:/documents and settings/etc.,etc.". When I attempt to go to the
file to delete, I can't as access is denied.

I think I had this problem some time ago and was given a solution which I
can't now find. I believe it was related to eliminating all previous
restore points. This is on my daughter's computer she just brought home
from college so no telling what got into it.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Bob;
Turn off/on System Restore to delete corrupted files:
Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore.
Click System Restore Settings on left side.
Check "Turn off System Restore", click OK, follow prompts and reboot.
This deletes ALL Restore Points including corruption.
Then go back and turn on system Restore and create a Restore Point.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

Bob wrote:
> McAfee virus program keeps telling me that a trojan and been detected and
> deleted (apparently not really deleted since the message keeps coming up)
> but there appear to be seven or so in files that appear to be restore point
> files in "C:/documents and settings/etc.,etc.". When I attempt to go to the
> file to delete, I can't as access is denied.
>
> I think I had this problem some time ago and was given a solution which I
> can't now find. I believe it was related to eliminating all previous
> restore points. This is on my daughter's computer she just brought home
> from college so no telling what got into it.
>
> Any assistance would be appreciated.

The file is locked by system restore. Turning off system restore will
delete all restore points and the offending file. You can turn it back
on after cleaning. I have written some pages to help you.
-max

This why it is important to turn off System Restore when dealing with
trojans, malware et al.. the authors of malicious code are a lot smarter
than they used to be.. if users could get over problems by just using SR,
their efforts to mess up systems would be rendered pointless..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

From: "Bob" <costelr@cox.net>

| McAfee virus program keeps telling me that a trojan and been detected and
| deleted (apparently not really deleted since the message keeps coming up)
| but there appear to be seven or so in files that appear to be restore point
| files in "C:/documents and settings/etc.,etc.". When I attempt to go to the
| file to delete, I can't as access is denied.
|
| I think I had this problem some time ago and was given a solution which I
| can't now find. I believe it was related to eliminating all previous
| restore points. This is on my daughter's computer she just brought home
| from college so no telling what got into it.
|
| Any assistance would be appreciated.

Please follow the information in the post from "What's in a Name?" then perform the
following...

Dump the contents of the IE Temporary Internet Folder cache (TIF)
Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Internet Options --> Delete Files

Dump the contents of the Mozilla FireFox Cache { if you use FireFox }
Tools --> Options --> Privacy --> Cache --> Clear

Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } two batch files, four Kixtart scripts, one Link
(.LNK) file, this PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and WGET.EXE. It will
simplify the process of using up to 3 different Anti Virus Command Line Scanners to remove
viruses and various other malware.

way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor’s web site.
On Win9x/ME the choices are; Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the PC
On NT4, Win2k, WinXP and Win2003 Server the choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the
menu and Reboot the PC.

file.

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

NOTE: You may have to disable your software FireWall or allow WGET.EXE and/or FTP.EXE to go
through your FireWall to allow them to download the needed AV vendor related files.

Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

In article <uzcoKvsdFHA.1600@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, "Jupiter Jones
[MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote:
>Bob;
>Turn off/on System Restore to delete corrupted files:
>Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore.
>Click System Restore Settings on left side.
>Check "Turn off System Restore", click OK, follow prompts and reboot.
>This deletes ALL Restore Points including corruption.
>Then go back and turn on system Restore and create a Restore Point.

Here's another way to do the same thing, with no reboot needed:

1. Click Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk
Cleanup.

2. Select the system drive (usually C:) and click OK.

3. Click More Options.

4. Click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Steve Winograd [MVP] wrote:
> Here's another way to do the same thing, with no reboot needed:
>
> 1. Click Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk
> Cleanup.
> 2. Select the system drive (usually C:) and click OK.
> 3. Click More Options.
> 4. Click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.

Steve,

That deletes all but the latest System Restore point..
If the latest system restore point has the same issue (doubtful in this case
actually - but who knows) - then this would leave them with the problem.

(And you actually are not required to reboot with either solution.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

I don't believe that the restore point info is stored in documents and
settings.

Is there multiple users on your machine? If so then you might need to sign
in as the user that the trojan is apparently in (documents and
settings\USERNAME). See if that helps.
--
Jayso

"Bob" <costelr@cox.net> wrote in message
> McAfee virus program keeps telling me that a trojan and been detected and
> deleted (apparently not really deleted since the message keeps coming up)
> but there appear to be seven or so in files that appear to be restore
> point files in "C:/documents and settings/etc.,etc.". When I attempt to
> go to the file to delete, I can't as access is denied.
>
> I think I had this problem some time ago and was given a solution which I
> can't now find. I believe it was related to eliminating all previous
> restore points. This is on my daughter's computer she just brought home
> from college so no telling what got into it.
>
> Any assistance would be appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS