Hal.dll

Good Evening:

I have a Compaq Presario, S4100NX with Windows XP Home. In trying to
peform a factory restore [following incomplete instructions to my dismay] I
evidently performed a dual boot accidentally. Now I get an error that
hal.dll is missing or corrupt <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

I have downloaded a zipped file of hal.dll and the boot disk files. But
how do I get the hal.dll file onto the computer when it cannot be accessed?
I tried turning on the computer with the boot disk [CD] in the drive but
still get the error message.

How do I get to the DOS prompt to possibly install these files? Thank You
for any and all assistance/suggestions provided to rectify this situation.

Deidre L. Sellers
3 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    "Deidre" <Deidre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello Matt:
    >
    > I have attempted to set my CD-ROM drive to be accessed first and did F10
    > to save and exit several times, with and without the Recovery disk created
    > when I first used my computer. I have also turned off/on my computer
    > with/without Home XP Boot disk and still continue to get the error
    > message.
    > I am at a total loss!
    > --
    > Respectfully
    >
    > Deidre

    IIRC you will need the original Compaq bootdiskette [not a generic
    windows one] as well as the restore CD, after booting from the diskette
    the restore CD will be available.
    But read the documentation that came with your Compaq PC.

    rgds
    Li'l Roberto

    Good Morning, Li'l Roberto:

    My Compaq Presario did not come with a an "original" Compaq boot disk or
    Restore disk. To restore the system to "repair" or "factory-reset" I had to
    create six [6] Restore Disks upon the initial use of the system.

    This morning [just before leaving for work] the revelation came to me to
    see if I could boot into "Safe Mode." Voile!! I copied a hal.dll file
    downloaded from the Internet, but it did not fix the problem. Any other
    suggestions?

    I have missed quite a bit in my online classes and am trying to get my
    computer well again. Thank You!
    --
    Respectfully

    Deidre

    > Good Morning, Li'l Roberto:
    >
    > My Compaq Presario did not come with a an "original" Compaq boot disk or
    > Restore disk. To restore the system to "repair" or "factory-reset" I had
    > create six [6] Restore Disks upon the initial use of the system.
    >
    > This morning [just before leaving for work] the revelation came to me to
    > see if I could boot into "Safe Mode." Voile!! I copied a hal.dll file
    > downloaded from the Internet, but it did not fix the problem. Any other
    > suggestions?
    >
    > I have missed quite a bit in my online classes and am trying to get my
    > computer well again. Thank You!
    > --
    > Respectfully
    >
    > Deidre

    Deidre
    Sorry to hear you haven't resolved your problem, are you saying the 6
    diskette set isn't working ?, I haven't had much to do with Compaq's
    but I do know you can't fix them using the methods normally used with
    generic PC's.

    Usually it's possible to do a repair install of the OS from the
    recovery console and the XP CD, but that will not work with your
    Compaq. If you don't receive any positive response from the NG,
    probably the best advice I can give you is to contact Compaq's help
    desk.
    good luck

    rgds
    Li'l Roberto