Hal.dll

Good Evening:

I have a Compaq Presario, S4100NX with Windows XP Home. In trying to
peform a factory restore [following incomplete instructions to my dismay] I
evidently performed a dual boot accidentally. Now I get an error that
hal.dll is missing or corrupt <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

I have downloaded a zipped file of hal.dll and the boot disk files. But
how do I get the hal.dll file onto the computer when it cannot be accessed?
I tried turning on the computer with the boot disk [CD] in the drive but
still get the error message.

How do I get to the DOS prompt to possibly install these files? Thank You
for any and all assistance/suggestions provided to rectify this situation.

Deidre L. Sellers

"Deidre" <Deidre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Matt:
>
> I have attempted to set my CD-ROM drive to be accessed first and did F10
> to save and exit several times, with and without the Recovery disk created
> when I first used my computer. I have also turned off/on my computer
> with/without Home XP Boot disk and still continue to get the error
> message.
> I am at a total loss!
> --
> Respectfully
>
> Deidre

IIRC you will need the original Compaq bootdiskette [not a generic
windows one] as well as the restore CD, after booting from the diskette
the restore CD will be available.
But read the documentation that came with your Compaq PC.

rgds
Li'l Roberto

Good Morning, Li'l Roberto:

My Compaq Presario did not come with a an "original" Compaq boot disk or
Restore disk. To restore the system to "repair" or "factory-reset" I had to
create six [6] Restore Disks upon the initial use of the system.

This morning [just before leaving for work] the revelation came to me to
see if I could boot into "Safe Mode." Voile!! I copied a hal.dll file
downloaded from the Internet, but it did not fix the problem. Any other
suggestions?

I have missed quite a bit in my online classes and am trying to get my
computer well again. Thank You!
--
Respectfully

Deidre

> Good Morning, Li'l Roberto:
>
> My Compaq Presario did not come with a an "original" Compaq boot disk or
> Restore disk. To restore the system to "repair" or "factory-reset" I had
> create six [6] Restore Disks upon the initial use of the system.
>
> This morning [just before leaving for work] the revelation came to me to
> see if I could boot into "Safe Mode." Voile!! I copied a hal.dll file
> downloaded from the Internet, but it did not fix the problem. Any other
> suggestions?
>
> I have missed quite a bit in my online classes and am trying to get my
> computer well again. Thank You!
> --
> Respectfully
>
> Deidre

Deidre
Sorry to hear you haven't resolved your problem, are you saying the 6
diskette set isn't working ?, I haven't had much to do with Compaq's
but I do know you can't fix them using the methods normally used with
generic PC's.

Usually it's possible to do a repair install of the OS from the
recovery console and the XP CD, but that will not work with your
Compaq. If you don't receive any positive response from the NG,
probably the best advice I can give you is to contact Compaq's help
desk.
good luck

rgds
Li'l Roberto