Tethering (Wireless Internet Via Cellphone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraydenW

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Does anyone here do it?

I'm looking into buying a laptop (wanted to build one myself but it's looking out of the question now) and I've heard of and researched a little information about a thing called tethering. Tethering is when you connect a chord from your cellphones Bluetooth to a USB port and you can leech internet off it (some third-party software may be required). What I'm asking is does anybody here do it? Where can you buy the equipment need to achieve this? and is there a website or two you can give me to find out more about this?

I think this is an awesome thing to do as it is cheaper than wireless internet if you already have a cellphone (maybe costs $7 for unlimited internet). I heard the speed is about twice as fast as dial up. So 56kbits/s x 2 = 112 kbits/s. So about a 14kbytes/s download speed. Not bad considering I'd mainly use it for email and maybe a little browsing.

I've used my dad's, he's got a blackberry world edition (don't know model, I like windows mobile units, XV6700 here :D ).

You can use bluetooth, but bluetooth is a wireless technology, it requires no cord at all. You may also use a miniUSB to USB cable, too, which is more battery efficient. Speed is a bit faster than dial-up (but I haven't used dial-up in a while, so maybe that's a bit skew.)

You use an application provided by your network provider for the connection. Verizon's was really easy to use.

I would never use it extensively, it's just too slow. Takes up to 30 seconds to load a page, sometimes more. (this on an HTML plain format gmail page.)

If you do use it, I recommend you get Firefox and install Adblock Plus.

Even if you don't use it, I recommend you get Firefox and install Adblock Plus.

BraydenW

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
I'm hooked to IE...JK. It's hard to keep a straight face saying that. I actually use SeaMonkey, which is just Firefox and Thunderbird combined. I'd really only use it to receive emails so speed really isn't a huge issue. I plan to get my services through Virgin Mobile so I'm not sure how this would work, but I'll contact them through their support and see. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.