Zalman CNPS7000A - overkill?

xboxizdope

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2004
I just bought this Zalman fan for my Asus P4C800 E-Deluxe, and soon to be bought P4 3.0C chip, and I'm wondering if this is overkill?

I figured the fan would be slightly larger than the socket, but this thing is freakin huge! I hope this thing mounts in good and strong, because it's pretty heavy. At first I thought it would interfere with the Northbridge heatsink, but according to the website, and some reviews, it doesn't have any problems fitting in this mobo.

I'm just wondering if maybe I went a little on the overkill side, I mean I don't even plan on overclocking, but I would like to keep the option open. This is my first PC I'm building, so maybe it's just me, or maybe this is normal for the newer P4 fans.

Can't wait till I get the chip and I can fire this thing up!

Enter Sig "Here"

xboxizdope

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2004
But there is such thing as cheaper cooling devices, which is what I'm getting at lol.

I don't mind the overkill though, it's just kinda like getting a turbo for a car you only drive below the speed limits

Enter Sig "Here"

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I've installed the ZALMAN CNPS6500B in my ASUS P4PE. The bonus is, there is room to actually install two fans side by side on the bracket so I can reduce the speed/noise and it also pushes air over the RAM.

The heatsink was highly polished on the contact surface and installed without a problem and I have yet to see a temp over 50c when gaming.

....WW (4.0)