Questions about using XP CD Burning facilities

Hello Everybody,

I have just tried to use the XP built in CD burning software. I have got a
CDRW and I am burning some documents and files to a CDRW.

I have two questions.

1. When I transferred the files to the CD Burning staging area, it popped up
several messages saying there were some "thumbs" which are hidden database
files in the basic document files. Windows popped up saying the information
might have some problems if they are copied.

Does anybody know what these files are and what I should do about them? I
have never encountered them before. This was the first time encountering
them after using XP burning software as opposed to other types of software.

Is it just XP software not able to deal with these hidden database "thumbs"
files?

2. Is the XP burning software good for reliable general use?

Many Thanks
Samantha

sc

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

"Samantha" <sam@noreply.com> wrote in message
> Hello Everybody,
>
> I have just tried to use the XP built in CD burning software. I have got a
> CDRW and I am burning some documents and files to a CDRW.
>
> I have two questions.
>
> 1. When I transferred the files to the CD Burning staging area, it popped
> up several messages saying there were some "thumbs" which are hidden
> database files in the basic document files. Windows popped up saying the
> information might have some problems if they are copied.
>
> Does anybody know what these files are and what I should do about them? I
> have never encountered them before. This was the first time encountering
> them after using XP burning software as opposed to other types of
> software.

They are the picture thumbnail database files. There is generally no
problem with burning them onto a cd along with the pictures.

> Is it just XP software not able to deal with these hidden database
> "thumbs" files?

The message you got sounds more like a warning to me, than an incapability.
Nero burns them without asking you.

> 2. Is the XP burning software good for reliable general use?

An unequivocal no; get one of the numerous free alternatives - Nero is IMHO
the best among the licensed ones.

"SC" <a@bb.com> wrote in message

> "Samantha" <sam@noreply.com> wrote in message
>> Hello Everybody,
>>
>> I have just tried to use the XP built in CD burning software. I have got
>> a CDRW and I am burning some documents and files to a CDRW.
>>
>> I have two questions.
>>
>> 1. When I transferred the files to the CD Burning staging area, it popped
>> up several messages saying there were some "thumbs" which are hidden
>> database files in the basic document files. Windows popped up saying the
>> information might have some problems if they are copied.
>>
>> Does anybody know what these files are and what I should do about them? I
>> have never encountered them before. This was the first time encountering
>> them after using XP burning software as opposed to other types of
>> software.
>
> They are the picture thumbnail database files. There is generally no
> problem with burning them onto a cd along with the pictures.
>

>> Is it just XP software not able to deal with these hidden database
>> "thumbs" files?
>
> The message you got sounds more like a warning to me, than an
> incapability.
> Nero burns them without asking you.
>

>> 2. Is the XP burning software good for reliable general use?
>
> An unequivocal no; get one of the numerous free alternatives - Nero is
> IMHO
> the best among the licensed ones.

Thanks for the advice! Well I don't have a licensed version of any burning
software, so I'll look for an open source software or use XP's software.
I've been researching the thumbnails so I hope there is no problem with
deleting them from "my documents" without damaging my system files.

sc

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

Hi,
Did you read my full post? There are *no* issues with deleting the
thumbs.db files in any folder. It will simply re-create itself when you
view the folder as thumbnails next time. And you generally do not need to
delete these before burning a CD.

CDBurnerXP Pro is a good freeware solution for burning CDs/DVDs.
http://www.cdburnerxp.se/