Alan

Proposal for ASCII diplomacy:

I propose an idea for the usage of standard ASCII characters in the
creation of an ASCII diplomacy map. This would be useful for printing
out maps, people who are colorblind, and so forth.

Each province would take a 7x4 box of ASCII characters to describe,
and if required, that could be 4x2 (or any combination of the 7
required characters) by removing the border and an extra space.

Provinces could be connected in eight directions with |, \, /, and -.

Ex:

\|/
-*-
/|\

Provinces themselves would use 19 different symbols (some multiple
times) not including the name and any border. This may seem a bit
much, but when you consider that 7 of them (in a standard diplomacy
game) would be used for the players, with one more for neutrality,
that's really only 6 symbols. The provinces themselves would be
arranged as such with a border (which could be changed to the GM's or
even the player's preference):

o~~~~~o
|@1 *0|
| SPA |
o~~~~~o

This would be an army owned by player 1 in a land province with a
supply center owned by no one, called SPA.

As you can see, the data is arranged into two groups of two, followed
on the next line by the 3-letter abbreviation of the province. The
symbols are explained in full below:

@=Army
#=Fleet
-=None

-=No A/F (redundancy required)
0=Neutral A/F
1=Player 1's A/F
2=Player 2's A/F
3=Player 3's A/F
4=Player 4's A/F
5=Player 5's A/F
6=Player 6's A/F
7=Player 7's A/F

*=SC
-=No SC
$=Sea
!=Impassable

0=Neutral SC/Country
1=Player 1's SC/Country
2=Player 2's SC/Country
3=Player 3's SC/Country
4=Player 4's SC/Country
5=Player 5's SC/Country
6=Player 6's SC/Country
7=Player 7's SC/Country

Here are some examples:

An army owned by player 1 at a SC owned by player 2 in the province of
PAR:

o~~~~~o
|@1 *2|
| PAR |
o~~~~~o

A fleet owned by player 3 in the neutral and non-SC province of POR:

o~~~~~o
|#3 -0|
| POR |
o~~~~~o

An empty sea province named MAO:

o~~~~~o
|-- $0|
| MAO |
o~~~~~o

Coastal areas would be inferred by looking for connections to sea
provinces, unless someone can come up with a way to add in a coastal
designator without a new row of characters. Land areas would be
inferred if it was not explicitly stated as a sea province.
Maps/variants with special provinces such as double SCs, canals, and
so forth would have to come up with their own ideas.

Please post or e-mail any comments or questions to me.

--
Alan Downing, alasseo an cuile.

Alan

Gregory A Greenman <see@sig.below> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b4049cf2d7e2bef9896b6@netnews.comcast.net>...
> In article <b2fde791.0406202313.5ee93b0f@posting.google.com>,
> alasseo@gmail.com says...
> > Proposal for ASCII diplomacy:
>

> There's already an ASCII map:
>
> http://devel.diplom.org/DipPouch/Email/judge/map.top.html

My proposal is for something entirely different. I'm using it in a
game I'm GMing on an online gaming forum.

Gregory A Greenman wrote:
> There's already an ASCII map:
>
> http://devel.diplom.org/DipPouch/Email/judge/map.top.html

And it is very cluttered and the information is very spread out and
difficult to comprehend.

Having seen maps created by Alan, I find they would be much easier to
comprehend. I still prefer graphical maps, of course, but for certain
types of games it would be much easier to simply change a few lines of
text (such as the number for ownership or the symbol for
Army/Fleet/Empty) than to redo an entire graphical map (mainly referring
to hand-adjucated games over the internet).

Such a system is not limited to variants that are available to the
judges and would allow simple editing of non-standard maps.

-John

Alan wrote:

> o~~~~~o
> |@1 *0|
> | SPA |
> o~~~~~o

I much rather preferred the other way you did it:

o~~~o
|@ 1|
|1 *|
|SPA|
o~~~o

Just seems to fit better into the space allotted.

-John

At the risk of sounding facitious, this thread reminds me of a spoof FAQ I picked
up some years ago on comp.text.sgml viz.

Q. Why can't you specify character numbers in hexadecimal?

A. SGML is designed to be readable by human beings as well as
by computers, and humans tend to find decimal numbers easier
to interpret than hex, as the following demonstrates:

<!-- Decimal example: -->
<P>we're zany to
the max

<!-- Hex example: -->
<P>JDAHA'I >=&#6C;&#6F;&#6E;AO
E&#6E; &#6F;KH I&#6C;=?&#6B;I

The first example is clearly much more readable than the second.