Hi,

Still being a bit of a newbie player myself, I have a question on what
happens if a unit giving support is being attacked, while that unit is
being supported itself as well. To illustrate my question I'll give an
example.

E: F MAO
E: F ENG

F: F BRE
F: F GAS
F: A PAR

What will happen if the following orders are given?

E: F MAO - BRE
E: F ENG S F MAO - BRE

F: F GAS - MAO
F: F BRE S F GAS - MAO
F: A PAR S F BRE

And will the end result be any different if England orders

E: F ENG - BRE
E: F MAO S F ENG - BRE ?

Kind regards and thank you in advance for your insights,

Remco

Remco Rijnders wrote:

> What will happen if the following orders are given?
>
> E: F MAO - BRE Fails, dislodged
> E: F ENG S F MAO - BRE Succeeds
>
> F: F GAS - MAO Succeeds
> F: F BRE S F GAS - MAO Succeeds
> F: A PAR S F BRE Succeeds

F MAO is dislodged and must retreat. Brest's support is not cut by F
MAO because Brest supports a move to MAO.

Had Paris not given support, MAO would move to Brest, dislodging it, and
Gascony would move to MAO unsupported and unopposed.

> And will the end result be any different if England orders
>
> E: F ENG - BRE
> E: F MAO S F ENG - BRE ?

Here both moves fail because both supports are cut. Paris is the only
support that succeeds with these orders. (Paris' support is actually
unnecessary here; without it the result is the same.)

--
Will Berry
Director, Techwood Con gaming convention

In message <opr9066oit32ljov@news.xs4all.nl>, Remco Rijnders
<remco@webconquest.com> writes

>Hi,
>
>Still being a bit of a newbie player myself, I have a question on what
>happens if a unit giving support is being attacked,

If a unit giving support is attacked, then the support is cut, unless
the attack comes from the province into which the support is given.

> while that unit is being supported itself as well.

Irrelevant.

>To illustrate my question I'll give an example.
>
>E: F MAO
>E: F ENG
>
>F: F BRE
>F: F GAS
>F: A PAR
>
>What will happen if the following orders are given?
>
>E: F MAO - BRE
>E: F ENG S F MAO - BRE
>
>F: F GAS - MAO
>F: F BRE S F GAS - MAO
>F: A PAR S F BRE

The support given by Bre is not cut, as the attack comes from MAO. So
Gas gets into MAO. But Mao does not get into Bre, this is a 2/2
standoff. So MAO has to retreat.

>And will the end result be any different if England orders
>
>E: F ENG - BRE
>E: F MAO S F ENG - BRE ?

The supports from MAO and from Bre are both cut. Nothing moves.

>Kind regards and thank you in advance for your insights,

Nick
--
Nick Wedd nick@maproom.co.uk