Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Malware changed my 32-bit to 64-bit

Last response: in Windows 7
August 20, 2012 7:21:07 AM

Malware and rogue remote desktop takeover of my Win 7 management console also wreaked havok with my efforts to reassert normalcy by erasing my installaion disk, converting my 32-bit system to run 64-bit, installing four virtual hard drives, 8 modems, 2 virtual printers while disabling my internet capabilities, printer, cd & dvd drives, and corrupting each anti-malware free/share programs I've employed (Hiren's, kaspersky, Malwarebytes, GMER, etc.). Am I in over my head or is there hope...??? For a replacement Win 7 dvd, Windows points to HP, HP points to place of purchase; Geek Squad (Black Tie, no less). has twice declared system 'Clean' only to be oh, so sadly wrong.

If I had a hammer...I'd hammer in the morning...in the evening... and feel so much better.
a b $ Windows 7
August 20, 2012 7:52:05 AM

You can download an installation iso from the official Microsoft online distributor (digital river) for free. See the following link.

Please ensure you have a viable install key printed on your PC in order to use this media.

Score
August 20, 2012 7:54:22 AM

I can't speak to the 32 to 64bit conversion, because technically that's not supposed to be possible. But, it does sound like you need a new disk. You probably have Windows 7 Home on your computer (or at least a Win7 Home COA with product key somewhere affixed to it.)

What this means is that any Win7 Home OEM disc will work. Got a friend who has a snazzy new Dell? That disc will work. How about a Gateway? That disc will work.

There are two main non-corporate license types - retail and OEM. Retail are the expensive ones you buy in boxes at Best Buy or Frys and OEM is anything that came attached on a sticker to a PC you bought. Get a disc from one of these, reinstall windows 64 bit (32 is less secure) and watch where you browse from now on!
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
August 20, 2012 12:01:59 PM

...I'd like to know HOW the installation disk was overwritten, considering its READ ONLY. Nevermind converting from 32 to 64 bits (or reverse) is functionally impossible to accomplish.
a b 8 Security
a b α HP
a b $ Windows 7
August 20, 2012 12:21:16 PM

I've been looking for an excuse to do this all week...

Just guessing, but I think you might be connecting to the wrong computer via RDP
Score
a b 8 Security
a b α HP
a c 399 $ Windows 7
August 20, 2012 12:42:04 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
a b 8 Security
a b α HP
a c 399 $ Windows 7
August 20, 2012 12:42:49 PM

Best answer selected by Area51reopened.