What are hidden "thumbs" database files?

Hi,
I've come across some hidden "thumbs" database files in "My Documents". Can
anybody tell me if it is 100% fine to delete these?

Many Thanks
Samantha
7 answers Last reply
More about what hidden thumbs database files

    I believe it is thumbnail files, click on show hidden files

    "Samantha" wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I've come across some hidden "thumbs" database files in "My Documents". Can
    > anybody tell me if it is 100% fine to delete these?
    >
    > Many Thanks
    > Samantha

    Thumbs.db is a file which stores the way in which you want to view the
    current folder. Some folders you would want to view as thumbnails while some
    as list view, if you want this to happen, it is advised to have this file.

    There are situations when changing a view it will still not apply to the
    current folder, this is the situation where you would look for this file and
    delete it.

    --
    JonyBrv

    Samantha wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I've come across some hidden "thumbs" database files in "My Documents". Can
    > anybody tell me if it is 100% fine to delete these?
    >
    > Many Thanks
    > Samantha

    thumbs.db is a cache of all the picture files in that folder in a small
    or "thumbnail" format. It speeds up the display of pics in folders when
    the view is set to thumbnail or filmstip. They can be deleted but will
    be recreated next time thumbnail view or filmstrip view is chose.

    http://www.fcs.iastate.edu/computer/tips/thumbs/default.htm

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "Camille" <Camille@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I believe it is thumbnail files, click on show hidden files
    >
    > "Samantha" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> I've come across some hidden "thumbs" database files in "My Documents".
    >> Can
    >> anybody tell me if it is 100% fine to delete these?
    >>
    >> Many Thanks
    >> Samantha

    Hi,
    do you know if they are safe to delete? They are not any kind of picture
    file, they are of the type "database files".

    can you see them, then right click on the properties box, or open them up and
    see what they go to? I wouldn't just go and delete something you don't know
    what it is.

    "Jonybrv" <Jonybrv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thumbs.db is a file which stores the way in which you want to view the
    > current folder. Some folders you would want to view as thumbnails while
    > some
    > as list view, if you want this to happen, it is advised to have this file.
    >
    > There are situations when changing a view it will still not apply to the
    > current folder, this is the situation where you would look for this file
    > and
    > delete it.
    >
    > --
    > JonyBrv

    Thanks Jony,
    I've been researching them. Seems strange I've never come across them
    before! Thanks for your input.

    > "Samantha" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> I've come across some hidden "thumbs" database files in "My Documents".
    >> Can
    >> anybody tell me if it is 100% fine to delete these?
    >>
    >> Many Thanks
    >> Samantha

    It won't be deleterious to delete them. Please follow your original post.

    "Samantha" <sam@noreply.com> wrote in message

    > "Camille" <Camille@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I believe it is thumbnail files, click on show hidden files
    >>
    >> "Samantha" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>> I've come across some hidden "thumbs" database files in "My Documents".
    >>> Can
    >>> anybody tell me if it is 100% fine to delete these?
    >>>
    >>> Many Thanks
    >>> Samantha
    >
    > Hi,
    > do you know if they are safe to delete? They are not any kind of picture
    > file, they are of the type "database files".

My Documents Microsoft Database Windows XP