What are hidden "thumbs" database files?

June 22, 2005 8:39:02 AM

Hi,
I've come across some hidden "thumbs" database files in "My Documents". Can
anybody tell me if it is 100% fine to delete these?

Many Thanks
Samantha
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 8:39:03 AM

I believe it is thumbnail files, click on show hidden files

"Samantha" wrote:

> Hi,
> I've come across some hidden "thumbs" database files in "My Documents". Can
> anybody tell me if it is 100% fine to delete these?
>
> Many Thanks
> Samantha

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 8:39:03 AM

Thumbs.db is a file which stores the way in which you want to view the
current folder. Some folders you would want to view as thumbnails while some
as list view, if you want this to happen, it is advised to have this file.

There are situations when changing a view it will still not apply to the
current folder, this is the situation where you would look for this file and
delete it.

--
JonyBrv

"Samantha" wrote:

> Hi,
> I've come across some hidden "thumbs" database files in "My Documents". Can
> anybody tell me if it is 100% fine to delete these?
>
> Many Thanks
> Samantha

Related resources
June 22, 2005 8:39:03 AM

Samantha wrote:

> Hi,
> I've come across some hidden "thumbs" database files in "My Documents". Can
> anybody tell me if it is 100% fine to delete these?
>
> Many Thanks
> Samantha

thumbs.db is a cache of all the picture files in that folder in a small
or "thumbnail" format. It speeds up the display of pics in folders when
the view is set to thumbnail or filmstip. They can be deleted but will
be recreated next time thumbnail view or filmstrip view is chose.

http://www.fcs.iastate.edu/computer/tips/thumbs/default...

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

"Camille" <Camille@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I believe it is thumbnail files, click on show hidden files
>
> "Samantha" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I've come across some hidden "thumbs" database files in "My Documents".
>> Can
>> anybody tell me if it is 100% fine to delete these?
>>
>> Many Thanks
>> Samantha

Hi,
do you know if they are safe to delete? They are not any kind of picture
file, they are of the type "database files".

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 8:58:10 AM

can you see them, then right click on the properties box, or open them up and
see what they go to? I wouldn't just go and delete something you don't know
what it is.

"Samantha" wrote:

> "Camille" <Camille@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I believe it is thumbnail files, click on show hidden files
> >
> > "Samantha" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >> I've come across some hidden "thumbs" database files in "My Documents".
> >> Can
> >> anybody tell me if it is 100% fine to delete these?
> >>
> >> Many Thanks
> >> Samantha
>
> Hi,
> do you know if they are safe to delete? They are not any kind of picture
> file, they are of the type "database files".

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 9:08:30 AM

"Jonybrv" <Jonybrv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thumbs.db is a file which stores the way in which you want to view the
> current folder. Some folders you would want to view as thumbnails while
> some
> as list view, if you want this to happen, it is advised to have this file.
>
> There are situations when changing a view it will still not apply to the
> current folder, this is the situation where you would look for this file
> and
> delete it.
>
> --
> JonyBrv

Thanks Jony,
I've been researching them. Seems strange I've never come across them
before! Thanks for your input.

> "Samantha" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I've come across some hidden "thumbs" database files in "My Documents".
>> Can
>> anybody tell me if it is 100% fine to delete these?
>>
>> Many Thanks
>> Samantha

June 22, 2005 1:39:45 PM

It won't be deleterious to delete them. Please follow your original post.

news:D 9ankj$hng$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...

!