What is "Command Interpreter"

Hi, I tried to reboot, and windows ask me for "Command Interpreter"

Thanks,
--
EJC

command interpreter

<operating system> A program which reads textual commands from
the user or from a file and executes them. Some commands may
be executed directly within the interpreter itself
(e.g. setting variables or control constructs), others may
cause it to load and execute other files.

Unix's command interpreters are known as shells.

When an IBM PC is booted BIOS loads and runs the
MS-DOS command interpreter into memory from file COMMAND.COM
found on a floppy disk or hard disk drive. The commands
that COMMAND.COM recognizes (e.g. COPY, DIR, PRN) are called
internal commands, in contrast to external commands which are
executable files.

"Dele" wrote:

> Hi, I tried to reboot, and windows ask me for "Command Interpreter"
>
> Thanks,
> --
> EJC

I might add interpreter generates & executes
insructions as it encounters them.

Compiler generates all insructions then executs all.

So most apps r likely to be compiled but for real time
response u need an interpreter.

HTH-Larry

|"Dele" wrote:

|> Hi, I tried to reboot, and windows ask me for "Command Interpreter"
|>
|> Thanks,
|> --
|> EJC

Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 20:52:01 -0700, "Camille"
<Camille@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>command interpreter
>

><operating system> A program which reads textual commands from
>the user or from a file and executes them. Some commands may
>be executed directly within the interpreter itself
>(e.g. setting variables or control constructs), others may
>cause it to load and execute other files.
>
>Unix's command interpreters are known as shells.
>
>When an IBM PC is booted BIOS loads and runs the
>MS-DOS command interpreter into memory from file COMMAND.COM
>found on a floppy disk or hard disk drive. The commands
>that COMMAND.COM recognizes (e.g. COPY, DIR, PRN) are called
>internal commands, in contrast to external commands which are
>executable files.
>

>"Dele" wrote:
>
>> Hi, I tried to reboot, and windows ask me for "Command Interpreter"
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --
>> EJ

In the case of Windows XP, the command interpreter is "cmd.exe"

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread
so that others may be instructed or informed

Its a system boot file, you need it just to get your PC to open an XP
environment. Its typically located on the partition boot record. If its
recorded in the wrong location, or the disk area is fubarred and cannot find
it, you'll see the message. My feeling is you want to fix it, not know what
it is, or why it is.
Open and run the recovery console from the XP install CD. Run chkdsk and
allow it to fix any disk problems. Then run fixboot.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654

"Dele" <Dele@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I tried to reboot, and windows ask me for "Command Interpreter"
>
> Thanks,
> --
> EJC

windows.com i think

--
Jayso

"Dele" <Dele@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I tried to reboot, and windows ask me for "Command Interpreter"
>
> Thanks,
> --
> EJC

Well demonstrated use of Google CamelToe. It would have been better to pass
the OP http://www.easydesksoftware.com/news/news11.htm this link, rather
than just a definition you got from some of the other links a google query
yields. Dele you may have worries according to the link, or may not.

-Winux P.

"Camille" <Camille@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> command interpreter
>

> <operating system> A program which reads textual commands from
> the user or from a file and executes them. Some commands may
> be executed directly within the interpreter itself
> (e.g. setting variables or control constructs), others may
> cause it to load and execute other files.
>
> Unix's command interpreters are known as shells.
>
> When an IBM PC is booted BIOS loads and runs the
> MS-DOS command interpreter into memory from file COMMAND.COM
> found on a floppy disk or hard disk drive. The commands
> that COMMAND.COM recognizes (e.g. COPY, DIR, PRN) are called
> internal commands, in contrast to external commands which are
> executable files.
>

> "Dele" wrote:
>
>> Hi, I tried to reboot, and windows ask me for "Command Interpreter"
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --
>> EJC

"Dele" <Dele@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi, I tried to reboot, and windows ask me for "Command Interpreter"
>
>Thanks,

Something appears to have damaged or added to the system boot files
for your Windows XP. Also if you are not running Windows XP then your
question has a better chance of getting correct answers if you post it
to a newsgroup that deals with your specific Windows version.

There is no "command interpreter" loaded during the boot phase for
Windows XP.

That message is more typically produced by computers running Windows
95 or Windows 98 when the command.com file needed by those Windows
versions cannot be located in the proper location.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP