External drive application

June 22, 2005 2:52:56 AM

My internale drive is fairly full.Can I install an application into an
external drive?
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 2:52:57 AM

try installing more memory, or jump together 2 hard drives

"Benedictum" wrote:

> My internale drive is fairly full.Can I install an application into an
> external drive?

June 22, 2005 2:52:58 AM

Camille wrote:

> try installing more memory, or jump together 2 hard drives
>
> "Benedictum" wrote:
>

>>My internale drive is fairly full.Can I install an application into an
>>external drive?

What does more memory have to do with a full drive and installing to
another drive? Also what is jump together 2 hard drives mean?

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Yes you can

--
Peter

"Benedictum" <benedictum@dominusvobis.com> wrote in message news:o UATj3tdFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> My internale drive is fairly full.Can I install an application into an
> external drive?

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 5:23:53 AM

There is a caveat here though. Some software will only allow install to a specific path,
like C:\Program Files, while other software will allow the user to change the install
path. Also, most software although installed to another drive might still install files
to Windows folders, and add keys/strings to the Windows registry. I do not know how big
your drive is. You could probably pick up some space moving data files to your external
drive. Deleting tour files, and video "how to" files for programs you already know how to
use, use disk cleanup to remove all restore points but the last one, set the amount of
space used for system restore points and temporary internet files to a smaller percentage
of drive space, etc. But that is just putting off the inevitable. If you have a Windows
XP CD, why not just purchase a larger drive, they're inexpensive compared with external
drives, and MOST come with software to clone your existing drive to the new one.
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

Yes you can

--
Peter

"Benedictum" <benedictum@dominusvobis.com> wrote in message
news:o UATj3tdFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> My internale drive is fairly full.Can I install an application into an
> external drive?

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 5:25:37 AM

>try installing more memory, or jump together 2 hard drives

>"Benedictum" wrote

And where did you learn all this?

--
Peter

June 22, 2005 7:47:01 AM

what i should have said was to purchase more memory, but most people are
looking for the cheap way out, because they don't want to spend any money,
and I totally agree with the disk cleanup as many people don't know to remove
things they don't need off of their computer. I've usually always had a
spare drive laying around and if needed just put 2 hard drives on my computer
and used one for my operating system. I myself don't like the idea of
putting things on an external drive, when you can take care of the real
problem, too many things on the computer............what a pain.

"Camille" wrote:

> try installing more memory, or jump together 2 hard drives
>
> "Benedictum" wrote:
>
> > My internale drive is fairly full.Can I install an application into an
> > external drive?

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 12:17:32 PM

Sorry about the posting in here by me

--
Peter

"Benedictum" <benedictum@dominusvobis.com> wrote in message news:o UATj3tdFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> My internale drive is fairly full.Can I install an application into an
> external drive?

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 3:33:11 PM

Maybe. Many variables as another poster noted

Get a larger capacity hard drive that you PC's bios can handle so the
question and future capacity problems won't creep up on you. Cleaning your
PC's fluff and other obvious stuff may leave room for one more app
installation and some breathing room.
"Benedictum" <benedictum@dominusvobis.com> wrote in message
news:o UATj3tdFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> My internale drive is fairly full.Can I install an application into an
> external drive?

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 5:57:56 PM

In news:002CA526-E9FA-459D-8BD5-128D59AE419E@microsoft.com,
Camille <Camille@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> what i should have said was to purchase more memory,

Sorry, you've made a longer sentence out of it, but it's just as
wrong as it was before. The amount of memory he has has nothing
to do with the amount of disk space he has, and will do nothing
to help him with his problem.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> but most people
> are looking for the cheap way out, because they don't want to
> spend
> any money, and I totally agree with the disk cleanup as many
> people
> don't know to remove things they don't need off of their
> computer.
> I've usually always had a spare drive laying around and if
> needed
> just put 2 hard drives on my computer and used one for my
> operating
> system. I myself don't like the idea of putting things on an
> external drive, when you can take care of the real problem, too
> many
> things on the computer............what a pain.
>
> "Camille" wrote:
>
>> try installing more memory, or jump together 2 hard drives
>>
>> "Benedictum" wrote:
>>
>>> My internale drive is fairly full.Can I install an
>>> application into
>>> an external drive?
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 12:56:09 AM

> too many things on the computer............what a pain.

Yes CamelToe, in some case the user should be removed.

-Winux P.

!