External drive application

My internale drive is fairly full.Can I install an application into an
external drive?
10 answers Last reply
More about external drive application

    try installing more memory, or jump together 2 hard drives

    Camille wrote:

    > try installing more memory, or jump together 2 hard drives
    >
    > "Benedictum" wrote:
    >

    >>My internale drive is fairly full.Can I install an application into an
    >>external drive?

    What does more memory have to do with a full drive and installing to
    another drive? Also what is jump together 2 hard drives mean?

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Yes you can

    --
    Peter

    "Benedictum" <benedictum@dominusvobis.com> wrote in message news:OUATj3tdFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > My internale drive is fairly full.Can I install an application into an
    > external drive?

    There is a caveat here though. Some software will only allow install to a specific path,
    like C:\Program Files, while other software will allow the user to change the install
    path. Also, most software although installed to another drive might still install files
    to Windows folders, and add keys/strings to the Windows registry. I do not know how big
    your drive is. You could probably pick up some space moving data files to your external
    drive. Deleting tour files, and video "how to" files for programs you already know how to
    use, use disk cleanup to remove all restore points but the last one, set the amount of
    space used for system restore points and temporary internet files to a smaller percentage
    of drive space, etc. But that is just putting off the inevitable. If you have a Windows
    XP CD, why not just purchase a larger drive, they're inexpensive compared with external
    drives, and MOST come with software to clone your existing drive to the new one.
    --

    T.C.
    t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

    Yes you can

    --
    Peter

    "Benedictum" <benedictum@dominusvobis.com> wrote in message
    > My internale drive is fairly full.Can I install an application into an
    > external drive?

    >try installing more memory, or jump together 2 hard drives

    >"Benedictum" wrote

    And where did you learn all this?

    --
    Peter

    what i should have said was to purchase more memory, but most people are
    looking for the cheap way out, because they don't want to spend any money,
    and I totally agree with the disk cleanup as many people don't know to remove
    things they don't need off of their computer. I've usually always had a
    spare drive laying around and if needed just put 2 hard drives on my computer
    and used one for my operating system. I myself don't like the idea of
    putting things on an external drive, when you can take care of the real
    problem, too many things on the computer............what a pain.

    "Camille" wrote:

    > try installing more memory, or jump together 2 hard drives
    >
    > "Benedictum" wrote:
    >
    > > My internale drive is fairly full.Can I install an application into an
    > > external drive?

    Sorry about the posting in here by me

    --
    Peter

    "Benedictum" <benedictum@dominusvobis.com> wrote in message news:OUATj3tdFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > My internale drive is fairly full.Can I install an application into an
    > external drive?

    Maybe. Many variables as another poster noted

    Get a larger capacity hard drive that you PC's bios can handle so the
    question and future capacity problems won't creep up on you. Cleaning your
    PC's fluff and other obvious stuff may leave room for one more app
    installation and some breathing room.

    In news:002CA526-E9FA-459D-8BD5-128D59AE419E@microsoft.com,
    Camille <Camille@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > what i should have said was to purchase more memory,

    Sorry, you've made a longer sentence out of it, but it's just as
    wrong as it was before. The amount of memory he has has nothing
    to do with the amount of disk space he has, and will do nothing
    to help him with his problem.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > but most people
    > are looking for the cheap way out, because they don't want to
    > spend
    > any money, and I totally agree with the disk cleanup as many
    > people
    > don't know to remove things they don't need off of their
    > computer.
    > I've usually always had a spare drive laying around and if
    > needed
    > just put 2 hard drives on my computer and used one for my
    > operating
    > system. I myself don't like the idea of putting things on an
    > external drive, when you can take care of the real problem, too
    > many
    > things on the computer............what a pain.
    >
    > "Camille" wrote:
    >
    >> try installing more memory, or jump together 2 hard drives
    >>
    >> "Benedictum" wrote:
    >>
    >>> My internale drive is fairly full.Can I install an
    >>> application into
    >>> an external drive?

    > too many things on the computer............what a pain.

    Yes CamelToe, in some case the user should be removed.

    -Winux P.

    "Camille" <Camille@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > what i should have said was to purchase more memory, but most people are
    > looking for the cheap way out, because they don't want to spend any money,
    > and I totally agree with the disk cleanup as many people don't know to
    > remove
    > things they don't need off of their computer. I've usually always had a
    > spare drive laying around and if needed just put 2 hard drives on my
    > computer
    > and used one for my operating system. I myself don't like the idea of
    > putting things on an external drive, when you can take care of the real
    > problem, too many things on the computer............what a pain.
    >
    > "Camille" wrote:
    >
    >> try installing more memory, or jump together 2 hard drives
    >>
    >> "Benedictum" wrote:
    >>
    >> > My internale drive is fairly full.Can I install an application into an
    >> > external drive?

External Drive Microsoft Windows XP