I have a 400DDR and a 333 stick of 512mb....

plexboy

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2003
Ok, I bought a stick of PC3200 512mb ram today to upgrade my machine to 1gb, not knowing what the frequency of my old stick was...I asked the guy at the store and he told me that it shouldn't be a problem as the machine will run at the lower speed....My reasoning for buying the 400ddr without knowing what my old ram was is that I figured if I bought the slower one and my old ram was 400ddr, then I would be slowing my clock down..if i got the ddr and it was slower ram, at minimum I would be running the speed of my old ram....Now the wierd part (as if that's not wierd enough)...

When I coldstart my machine, it only recognizes 512mb(Farcry stutters, and during memory test it only shows 512mb)...if I warmstart the machine, it sees the whole 1 gb (memory test) and seems to run fine (Farcry rocks!). Could I be doing harm to my machine? Is there a way to fix this without shelling another 100 bucks for a stick of 400 ram? am I jumping to conclusions that the wierdness is coming from the fact that I have 2 different speeds installed? Please...any thoughts would be appreciated...

thanks...

ASUS MB P4S800
Intel P4 3.02
512MB RAM
Plextor 708A & Premium
Sony DVD
Antec Power Supply 430W Truepower
WD 120 GB HD
Powercolor Radeon 9800pro

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sounds like a dusty/oxided DIMM slot to me. Try pulling and inserting the module several times, then make sure it's locked down and test it again.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>