Is There An Adapter??

Tarack

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2004
I have a Hi 8m camcorder that has 1 1/8 a/v out.It came with a 1/8 a/v to 2-RCA (round pin style). Now my question is is there an adapter from ether the 1/8 to USB or the 2 pca to usb? Im trying to record all my tapes onto DVD. Or is there a BETTER WAY ??? PLEASE help !! heh you guys are great!

Thanks ALL !!

My rig:AMD 2500+"Barton,AF7 mobo,1gig Kingston, 9800pro
<i><font color=blue>We come from the land of Kings and Queens who blind our eyes and steal our dreams, This is the world of Heaven and Hell.</font color=blue></i><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tarack on 03/31/04 02:47 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, USB! LMAO. d00d j00 rox0r, but that isn't the best nor easiest way.

OK, so maybe I'm not so 1337 either. But you have analog audio output on your camcorder, you should use the analog audio input on your PC. That is, connect the audio out of the camcorder to the Line In jack on your sound card. If both use the same connector, buy a cheap cable. If they use 2 different connectors, buy an adapter cable. Computers use 1/8" stereo minijacks, the same as most headphones. And from what I've read from you, your camcorder has a 1/8" stereo minijack output. So you'd only need a male-to-male stereo minijack cable. The shorter the cable, the less signal loss, for convenience I'd go somewhere between 3 and 6 feet.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Tarack

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2004
Im glad I made you laugh crashman. ;) But my camcorder has a 1/8 a/v out not a single 1/8 audio out.My sound card does have a 1/8 audio line in. I guess what I really need is a video capture card with audio in. Atleast thats what I was kind of thinking. I know the easiest would be if my camcorder had a firewire port ;)(but it doesnt..bummer) What I would like to know is , will the video capture card do the conversion to DV?

Thanks for your post Crashman !!

<i><font color=blue>We come from the land of Kings and Queens who blind our eyes and steal our dreams, This is the world of Heaven and Hell.</font color=blue></i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OH! OK, easy answer! You'll find for instance the TV-Wonder and AIW cards (as well as most others) don't use integrated audio capture for the audio input! Instead they use a pass-through connnection to the Line In of your sound card! Seriously, just buy the adapters you need for your sound.

If your camcoder has mono sound, you can take the RCA sound connector and adapt it to a stereo minijack using 1.) an RCA to mono 1/8" adapter, and 2.) a mono 1.8" to stereo 1/8" adapter. The second will combine your left and right inputs so you have mono come through both speakers instead of one.

So your sound problems really aren't that problematic, a couple $3 adapters will make it 2 channel mono through your soundcard Line-In jack.

Any video capture card will capture to DV. After all, your computer stores digital, not analog, data. You'll have to figure out how to USE your video capture feature, most cards allow capture to MPEG 1 format which allows you to burn Video CDs. Software converters allow you to go to other formats.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Tarack

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2004
Thank you VERY much!! I hadnt thought of using the line in on my sound card(in my case onboard sound)(DUH ! LOL)So I dont really need an expensive capture card. I would like to be able to burn in dvd format. Do I need to be able to capture in any particular format.(MPEG2 ?)And can you suggest a card say under $50 ?
Thanks Crashman !!!!

<i><font color=blue>We come from the land of Kings and Queens who blind our eyes and steal our dreams, This is the world of Heaven and Hell.</font color=blue></i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
<A HREF="http://www.softwareandstuff.com" target="_new">http://www.softwareandstuff.com</A> had one for $15 last time I looked.