Questions about Tempest

Ivan

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

When is the Tempest diplomacy tournament going to be held and where?

Also how much is the entry fee? Are any of you going to go?
I hope I get to see Edi Birsan since he won the Boston Massacre.
Maybe I will get lucky and be on the same board as he and learn with
first hand experience what makes him such a good diplomacy player.

Ivan wrote:
> When is the Tempest diplomacy tournament going to be held and where?

Hunt Valley Marriott, Hunt Valley (Baltimore), Maryland Aug 6-8.
Its being held at the WBC. http://www.boardgamers.org

> Also how much is the entry fee?

The WBC (World Boardgamer's Championship) runs from Tuesday,
Aug 3rd through Sunday, Aug 8th, with pre-con events starting
Saturday, July 31st. Registration for Friday-Sunday is $40. Longer
stays cost more. http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc/register.htm

> Are any of you going to go?

Yes, many of us will be going. ;-)

> I hope I get to see Edi Birsan since he won the Boston Massacre.
> Maybe I will get lucky and be on the same board as he and learn with
> first hand experience what makes him such a good diplomacy player.

I haven't seen a confirmed attendee list, yet, but Edi has attended
Tempest in the past, (I played with him two years ago, and my
wife played with him last year), so I would not be surprised to
see him there this year, as well. Additional contact information
is available at: http://www.boardgamers.org/yearbook/dippge.htm

Eric.

talltree0@yahoo.com (Ivan) writes:

>When is the Tempest diplomacy tournament going to be held and where?

>Also how much is the entry fee? Are any of you going to go?
>I hope I get to see Edi Birsan since he won the Boston Massacre.
>Maybe I will get lucky and be on the same board as he and learn with
>first hand experience what makes him such a good diplomacy player.

Excellent questions, I've been trying to figure out the answers to
them today myself (and asking some of the relevant people in the
background who should know) and the ONLY place you can see this
on the Web is at the WBC site, www.boardgamers.org (someone can
correct me if I'm wrong) and you go to:

http://www.boardgamers.org/yearbook/index.htm

and click on the DIP (Diplomacy) game in the index. There you
can see Rick Desper's ugly mug (who won there last year) and
Andy Marshall's handsome visage (as he is now the TD) and the
relevant info. It's a Friday August 6-Sunday August 8th event.

I'm not sure if Edi is going, did he say he was? He probably
is trying to wrap up an Eastern Swing Championship.

SInce it is now part of WBC, the process for paying involves
the WBC rules for admission, which are admittedly complicated
but can be found at: http://www.boardgamers.org/wbcatend.htm

ANd lastly, yours truly is thinking about going, so you might
be able to meet me.

Jim-Bob

Jim Burgess wrote:

> http://www.boardgamers.org/yearbook/index.htm
>
> and click on the DIP (Diplomacy) game in the index. There you
> can see Rick Desper's ugly mug (who won there last year) and
> Andy Marshall's handsome visage (as he is now the TD) and the
> relevant info. It's a Friday August 6-Sunday August 8th event.

Does anybody know whether they'll be retaining Jim Yerkey's tournament
rules, as listed on the boardgamers.org site, or using PTKS rules? The
page refers to www.ptks.org for "the latest details", but there's
nothing there about 2004....

Rod Spade <rodspade@acm.org> writes:

>Jim Burgess wrote:

>> http://www.boardgamers.org/yearbook/index.htm
>>
>> and click on the DIP (Diplomacy) game in the index. There you
>> can see Rick Desper's ugly mug (who won there last year) and
>> Andy Marshall's handsome visage (as he is now the TD) and the
>> relevant info. It's a Friday August 6-Sunday August 8th event.

>Does anybody know whether they'll be retaining Jim Yerkey's tournament
>rules, as listed on the boardgamers.org site, or using PTKS rules? The
>page refers to www.ptks.org for "the latest details", but there's
>nothing there about 2004....

I was kinda wondering that myself, they need a little help with
their publicity. Everyone knows how I HATE the 29 center rule,
especially when I have 5 centers and am voted out of a draw....

Jim-Bob

Troll!

Jim Burgess <burgess@TheWorld.com> wrote in message news:<cd6s95$lgi$1@pcls4.std.com>...

> http://www.boardgamers.org/yearbook/index.htm
>
> and click on the DIP (Diplomacy) game in the index. There you
> can see Rick Desper's ugly mug (who won there last year) and
> Andy Marshall's handsome visage (as he is now the TD) and the
> relevant info. It's a Friday August 6-Sunday August 8th event.

Andy's handsome?? And I've got an ugly mug????

Dates are correct. Don advises mailing any registration info by today
to take advantage of lower preregistration. I would tell you more but
I appear to have lost contact with the PTKS mailing list during my
travels.

Andy should be back in town by Friday. If anybody needs assistance
with logistics, give one of us a buzz. By "us" I mean Andy, Andy,
Ike, Sloth, Tim or myself.

Rick

> Jim-Bob

Some extra questions...

1) Which is worth more - a flipper or a spiker?
2) Is it better to start at the first level, or jump ahead and get the
bonus
3) You get one superzapper that destroys everthing, and then a second
superzapper that destroys one enemy. Anyone know how that enemy is
selected?

rick_desper@yahoo.com (desper) writes:

>Troll!

>Jim Burgess <burgess@TheWorld.com> wrote in message news:<cd6s95$lgi$1@pcls4.std.com>...

>> http://www.boardgamers.org/yearbook/index.htm
>>
>> and click on the DIP (Diplomacy) game in the index. There you
>> can see Rick Desper's ugly mug (who won there last year) and
>> Andy Marshall's handsome visage (as he is now the TD) and the
>> relevant info. It's a Friday August 6-Sunday August 8th event.
>>

>Andy's handsome?? And I've got an ugly mug????

Hehehehehe, it did get you to respond, didn't it? You shouldn't
tell me that you don't read r.g.d regularly any more. It gets
you in trouble.

>Dates are correct. Don advises mailing any registration info by today
>to take advantage of lower preregistration. I would tell you more but
>I appear to have lost contact with the PTKS mailing list during my
>travels.

>Andy should be back in town by Friday. If anybody needs assistance
>with logistics, give one of us a buzz. By "us" I mean Andy, Andy,
>Ike, Sloth, Tim or myself.

>Rick

Thanks!
Jim-Bob

salmoneous wrote:
> Some extra questions...
>
> 1) Which is worth more - a flipper or a spiker?

Flipper is 150, Spiker 50.

> 2) Is it better to start at the first level, or jump ahead and get the
> bonus

Start at the highest level you can complete.

> 3) You get one superzapper that destroys everthing, and then a second
> superzapper that destroys one enemy. Anyone know how that enemy is
> selected?

The manual says "randomly". My experience is that it will kill a Pulsar
or Fuseball if one is available.

Any more? :)