Backup help please

I'd appreciate suggestions/help with backup on my XP PC.

I want to backup my PC for disaster recovery and then do an incremental
backup each night to a USB hard drive.

I tried Retrospect which came with the USB hard drive. I couldn't get it to
work to well. I've been using the MS backup utility. With this software it
seems any new email causes changes my large Outlook PST file and the whole
file is backed up again.

I've been trying to find backup software which will backup just the changed
elements of the pst file and have tried downloading a trial version of
continuity@work from Mobiliti who claim to be able to just backup the
changes to a PST file. I left continuity@work running overnight and had to
stop it as it was only 50% through the backup this morning. It calls it
synchronization rather than backup and from the error messages it seems that
it doesn't create a shadow image before backing up as several files were not
backed up as they were in use.

As it takes an overnight run to test any new backup software with my whole C
drive I'd welcome any suggestions, particularly to backup changes only to
the PST file not the whole PST file.

Thanks

Ian
10 answers Last reply
More about backup please

    nicoll wrote:
    > I'd appreciate suggestions/help with backup on my XP PC.
    >
    > I want to backup my PC for disaster recovery and then
    > do an incremental backup each night to a USB hard drive.

    Acronis True Image. None is better.

    Acronis True Image and Ghost are "image" utilities and will backup entire
    sections of your hard drive - and will do it rapidly.

    Other backup utilities will backup individual files. I prefer SyncBackSE
    (there's is a freeware version) and some of my friends prefer Cobian (also
    freeware).

    The problem with the .pst file is that there are links that connect your
    info from one area to another in Outlook. Making a backup of just the
    changes will be very, very difficult. I'd suggest that you archive your .pst
    files on a regular basis by exporting them to another area on your hard drive
    or to a CD. That will decrease the size of them and will enable a faster
    backup.

    "nicoll" wrote:

    > I'd appreciate suggestions/help with backup on my XP PC.
    >
    > I want to backup my PC for disaster recovery and then do an incremental
    > backup each night to a USB hard drive.
    >
    > I tried Retrospect which came with the USB hard drive. I couldn't get it to
    > work to well. I've been using the MS backup utility. With this software it
    > seems any new email causes changes my large Outlook PST file and the whole
    > file is backed up again.
    >
    > I've been trying to find backup software which will backup just the changed
    > elements of the pst file and have tried downloading a trial version of
    > continuity@work from Mobiliti who claim to be able to just backup the
    > changes to a PST file. I left continuity@work running overnight and had to
    > stop it as it was only 50% through the backup this morning. It calls it
    > synchronization rather than backup and from the error messages it seems that
    > it doesn't create a shadow image before backing up as several files were not
    > backed up as they were in use.
    >
    > As it takes an overnight run to test any new backup software with my whole C
    > drive I'd welcome any suggestions, particularly to backup changes only to
    > the PST file not the whole PST file.
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > Ian

    Ghost 9.01. None is better.

    What a foolish statement, don't you think. It is just your opinion and my
    opinion - and like certain body orifices, everybody has one!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    "Curmudgeon" <krmujn@ameritech.net> wrote in message

    > nicoll wrote:
    >> I'd appreciate suggestions/help with backup on my XP PC.
    >>
    >> I want to backup my PC for disaster recovery and then
    >> do an incremental backup each night to a USB hard drive.
    >
    > Acronis True Image. None is better.

    There is an update, (or is it an add-on?), for Outlook that provides
    intermittent scheduled backups to the location of your choice. When
    installed, it will prompt you when closing Outlook if you want to back up
    the .pst file when the scheduled time expires, and will continue to prompt
    you everytime you close Outlook until you back it up. I choose a folder on
    a partition on another physical hard drive for the location. Takes a few
    seconds to do. This update/add-on does not work with OE.

    MS has an update site exclusively for MS Office products for both critical
    security oriented stuff, and user selected add-ons. Many people don't know
    they can update their Outlook Calendar for the usual holidays for instance.

    "nicoll" <generalnicoll@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | I'd appreciate suggestions/help with backup on my XP PC.
    |
    | I want to backup my PC for disaster recovery and then do an
    incremental
    | backup each night to a USB hard drive.
    |
    | I tried Retrospect which came with the USB hard drive. I couldn't get
    it to
    | work to well. I've been using the MS backup utility. With this
    software it
    | seems any new email causes changes my large Outlook PST file and the
    whole
    | file is backed up again.
    |
    | I've been trying to find backup software which will backup just the
    changed
    | elements of the pst file and have tried downloading a trial version of
    | continuity@work from Mobiliti who claim to be able to just backup the
    | changes to a PST file. I left continuity@work running overnight and
    had to
    | stop it as it was only 50% through the backup this morning. It calls
    it
    | synchronization rather than backup and from the error messages it
    seems that
    | it doesn't create a shadow image before backing up as several files
    were not
    | backed up as they were in use.
    |
    | As it takes an overnight run to test any new backup software with my
    whole C
    | drive I'd welcome any suggestions, particularly to backup changes only
    | the PST file not the whole PST file.

    To back up and recover from a USB drive, one must have up to date
    hardware
    and a quality backup program. I use DriveImage7. It works well for me.
    chose DI because of price and it happened to be available. No pom poms
    for
    one product over another.

    "BBUNNY" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message
    > To back up and recover from a USB drive, one must have up to date
    > hardware and a quality backup program. I use DriveImage7. It works well
    > for me.
    > I chose DI because of price and it happened to be available. No pom poms
    > for one product over another.

    Nicole:
    Might you consider a disk imaging program such as the Symantec's Norton
    Ghost or Acronis True Image programs to "clone" your internal working HD to
    your USB external HD? The enormous advantage of this "cloning" process is
    that you can simply and relatively quickly make an exact duplicate of your
    working HD and by so doing maintain a near-failsafe disaster recovery plan.

    By making a disk-to-disk copy each day there's no need for "incremental"
    backups. Especially in view of the fact that the cloning operation is
    relatively fast. Assuming you have a medium-powered processor, a modern HD,
    and a USB 2.0 EHD, you should be able to clone the contents of your internal
    HD at a rate of around 450 to 800 MB/min. Thus, as an example, say your HD
    contained 20 GB of data. You could clone the contents of your HD in about 30
    minutes or less. Bear in mind that you would now have *all* the data from
    your internal HD on the USB EHD including the operating system -- in short,
    everything.that is on your internal HD would now be on your USB EHD. What
    could be better for a backup system? So if and when your working HD had to
    be restored, it would be a relatively simple matter to clone the contents of
    your USB EHD back to that drive.

    If you would like any further details on this process, please so indicate.
    Anna

    .... and everyone thinks everyone elses' stinks.

    -Winux P.

    > Ghost 9.01. None is better.
    >
    > What a foolish statement, don't you think. It is just your opinion and my
    > opinion - and like certain body orifices, everybody has one!
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban

    > "Curmudgeon" <krmujn@ameritech.net> wrote in message
    >>

    >> nicoll wrote:
    >>> I'd appreciate suggestions/help with backup on my XP PC.
    >>>
    >>> I want to backup my PC for disaster recovery and then
    >>> do an incremental backup each night to a USB hard drive.
    >>
    >> Acronis True Image. None is better.

    Both Ghost and TI have their minor weaknesses and heavy strengths that's
    been wrangled many times in a non-MS newsgroup I frequently read. Both are
    good products. Both have the Achilles heel of multiple DVD/CD media backup
    verification last I looked.

    For my 2 year old homebuilt PC, am still using DI 7. Haven't found a reason
    to change.as I spend more time in the 98SE OS environment. So incrementals
    aren't reallly needed. If I felt a need to upgrade, would go with Ghost
    simply due to its familiarity and semblance to DI 7. Also get break on
    price due to am registered licnensed owner of DI 7.

    "Winux P" <winuxp@msnews.grp> wrote in message

    > ... and everyone thinks everyone elses' stinks.
    >
    > -Winux P.

    > > Ghost 9.01. None is better.
    > >
    > > What a foolish statement, don't you think. It is just your opinion and
    my
    > > opinion - and like certain body orifices, everybody has one!
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Richard Urban
    > >
    > > If you knew as much as you think you know,
    > > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
    > >

    > > "Curmudgeon" <krmujn@ameritech.net> wrote in message

    > >> Acronis True Image. None is better.

    Your response is interesting to me when I'm trying to figure out how to do
    backups? Could you please be more explicit ? Or kindly direct me to a
    website describing to a newbie what I'd need to buy, use and how to to do
    it. Thank you,
    Josie

    "Josie" <josie63@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Your response is interesting to me when I'm trying to figure out how to do
    > backups? Could you please be more explicit ? Or kindly direct me to a
    > website describing to a newbie what I'd need to buy, use and how to to do
    > it. Thank you,
    > Josie

    Josie:
    I don't know if your query was directed to me or to BBUNNY who commented
    about using Drive Image 7. I don't use that program. I prefer either
    Symantec's Norton Ghost 2003 version (comes bundled with their Ghost 9
    software) or Acronis True Image 8 for cloning the contents of one hard disk
    to another. I particularly like the Acronis program because I find its data
    transfer rate to be considerably faster than the Ghost program although
    either of those two programs are quite suitable for cloning drives for
    backup purposes.

    So please indicate if you're interested in more details of using either of
    the two programs that I've mentioned. If you are, please indicate whether
    you would be using another internal HD as your backup drive or a USB (or
    Firewire) external hard drive.
    Anna

Backup Hard Drives Software Windows XP