Safe mode OK but can't boot into XP Pro

I can start my PC in safe mode and all works well. However, in Normal mode
it stops at the XP splash screen (always at the 5th scroll of the BLUE
bars). Obviously stuck on some driver - but I haven't loaded anything new
lately.

In safe mode I can't roll back to a previous restore point. How do I do
this without being able to get into XP?

Thanks,
4 answers Last reply
More about safe mode boot

    JM7 wrote:
    > I can start my PC in safe mode and all works well. However, in
    > Normal mode it stops at the XP splash screen (always at the 5th
    > scroll of the BLUE bars). Obviously stuck on some driver - but I
    > haven't loaded anything new lately.
    >
    > In safe mode I can't roll back to a previous restore point. How do I
    > do this without being able to get into XP?

    If you perform a repair install, your installation media (CD) needs to
    really be the same service pack level as your currently installed system.
    You will likely need to create a new CD from the old one with SP2
    slipstreamed/integrated into it. Something like "AutoStreamer" would assist
    you in making this new CD from the old one.

    Create a SP2 Slipstreamed Windows XP CD with Autostreamer
    http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html

    Perform a Repair installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    "JM7" <h@cs.com> wrote in message
    >I can start my PC in safe mode and all works well. However, in Normal mode
    > it stops at the XP splash screen (always at the 5th scroll of the BLUE
    > bars). Obviously stuck on some driver - but I haven't loaded anything new
    > lately.
    >
    > In safe mode I can't roll back to a previous restore point. How do I do
    > this without being able to get into XP?
    >
    > Thanks,

    You tried using System Restore in Safe Mode? It should work.

    Alias

    You said you could get in through safe mode. Have you tried "Last known good
    configuration"?

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
    > JM7 wrote:
    > > I can start my PC in safe mode and all works well. However,
    > in
    > > Normal mode it stops at the XP splash screen (always at the
    > 5th
    > > scroll of the BLUE bars). Obviously stuck on some driver -
    > but I
    > > haven't loaded anything new lately.
    > >
    > > In safe mode I can't roll back to a previous restore point.
    > How do I
    > > do this without being able to get into XP?
    >
    > If you perform a repair install, your installation media (CD)
    > needs to
    > really be the same service pack level as your currently
    > installed system.
    > You will likely need to create a new CD from the old one with
    > SP2
    > slipstreamed/integrated into it. Something like
    > "AutoStreamer" would assist
    > you in making this new CD from the old one.
    >
    > Create a SP2 Slipstreamed Windows XP CD with Autostreamer
    > http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html
    >
    > Perform a Repair installation
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --

    Since you are able to boot into safe mode, try defragmenting, if this
    is because of a fragmented drive, it shud help.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Safe-mode-boot-XP-Pro-ftopict548846.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1736477

Safe Mode Boot Microsoft Windows XP