Board band problem need help

Deal All,

My computer have following problem, can you please give me some advise how
to fix it ? Many thx

The problem is :

when connect to boardband (cable modem), the computer hang up or sometime
reboot automately. (if disconnect boardband the computer work fine)

Also IF use 56K dail up to connect internet, there is no problem at all.

Best regards,
LL
5 answers Last reply
More about board band problem help

    123 wrote:
    > Deal All,
    >
    > My computer have following problem, can you please give me some
    > advise how to fix it ? Many thx
    >
    > The problem is :
    >
    > when connect to boardband (cable modem), the computer hang up or
    > sometime reboot automately. (if disconnect boardband the computer
    > work fine)
    > Also IF use 56K dail up to connect internet, there is no problem at
    > all.
    > Best regards,
    > LL

    In the future - please cross-post instead of multi-posting. Thanks.

    LL,

    When you connect to 'broadband', how are you making the connection?
    Is it through a Network Card (NIC) or through some USB connection?

    Is your computer patched (the operating system) with the latest security
    updates and such from http://windowsupdates.microsoft.com/?

    Do you have the latest hardware drivers (particularly your network card and
    motherboard chipset) installed from the actual manufacturer of those
    components (not the microsoft updates site)?

    When was the last time you scanned you system for viruses/trojans/worms
    using an antivirus application other than the one you have installed on your
    system? (I recommend doing so with this online scanner:
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp )

    When was the last time you scanned your system for spyware/adware/malware
    using more than one (more like 3-5) different anti-malware applications? (I
    recommend Lavasoft AdAware SE 1.06, Spybot Search and Destroy 1.4,
    SpywareBlaster 3.4 and IE-SpyAd2 at least.)

    What type of firewall do you have - are you using the built-in Windows XP
    SP2 Firewall and have you checked its configuration for ports you did not
    open?

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    HI

    Have you contacted your ISP to see if they have any problems their end - or
    to see if they can help you?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "123" <km123hk@hutchcity.com> wrote in message
    > Deal All,
    >
    > My computer have following problem, can you please give me some advise
    > how
    > to fix it ? Many thx
    >
    > The problem is :
    >
    > when connect to boardband (cable modem), the computer hang up or sometime
    > reboot automately. (if disconnect boardband the computer work fine)
    >
    > Also IF use 56K dail up to connect internet, there is no problem at all.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > LL

    thx for response,

    I'm using cable modem and connect to NIC.

    The problem is once turn on the cable modem - window hang up

    The computer work fine without boardband connection. (use 56K dail up modem
    is OK)

    I have used antispyware software to scan the computer and no spyware.

    Best regards,
    LL

    "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:e%23g4LhwdFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > 123 wrote:
    >> Deal All,
    >>
    >> My computer have following problem, can you please give me some
    >> advise how to fix it ? Many thx
    >>
    >> The problem is :
    >>
    >> when connect to boardband (cable modem), the computer hang up or
    >> sometime reboot automately. (if disconnect boardband the computer
    >> work fine)
    >> Also IF use 56K dail up to connect internet, there is no problem at
    >> all.
    >> Best regards,
    >> LL
    >
    > In the future - please cross-post instead of multi-posting. Thanks.
    >
    > LL,
    >
    > When you connect to 'broadband', how are you making the connection?
    > Is it through a Network Card (NIC) or through some USB connection?
    >
    > Is your computer patched (the operating system) with the latest security
    > updates and such from http://windowsupdates.microsoft.com/?
    >
    > Do you have the latest hardware drivers (particularly your network card
    > and
    > motherboard chipset) installed from the actual manufacturer of those
    > components (not the microsoft updates site)?
    >
    > When was the last time you scanned you system for viruses/trojans/worms
    > using an antivirus application other than the one you have installed on
    > your
    > system? (I recommend doing so with this online scanner:
    > http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp )
    >
    > When was the last time you scanned your system for spyware/adware/malware
    > using more than one (more like 3-5) different anti-malware applications?
    > (I
    > recommend Lavasoft AdAware SE 1.06, Spybot Search and Destroy 1.4,
    > SpywareBlaster 3.4 and IE-SpyAd2 at least.)
    >
    > What type of firewall do you have - are you using the built-in Windows XP
    > SP2 Firewall and have you checked its configuration for ports you did not
    > open?
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    The cable modem should not have to be turned on. It should be powered on 24/7. Do you
    have the correct drivers for your NIC? Is your NIC disabled in Device Manager, or if
    integrated disabled in your BIOS? Is your NIC a card or integrated on your motherboard?
    If it is a card, is it seated properly? Maybe your NIC is defective? Does your ISP use
    proprietary software? Have you installed it? Are you sure that your cable modem is not
    defective? For some of these answers you will have to get with your broadband ISP's tech
    support.
    --

    T.C.
    t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

    > thx for response,
    >
    > I'm using cable modem and connect to NIC.
    >
    > The problem is once turn on the cable modem - window hang up
    >
    > The computer work fine without boardband connection. (use 56K dail up modem
    > is OK)
    >
    > I have used antispyware software to scan the computer and no spyware.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > LL
    >

    > "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com>
    ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:e%23g4LhwdFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > > 123 wrote:
    > >> Deal All,
    > >>
    > >> My computer have following problem, can you please give me some
    > >> advise how to fix it ? Many thx
    > >>
    > >> The problem is :
    > >>
    > >> when connect to boardband (cable modem), the computer hang up or
    > >> sometime reboot automately. (if disconnect boardband the computer
    > >> work fine)
    > >> Also IF use 56K dail up to connect internet, there is no problem at
    > >> all.
    > >> Best regards,
    > >> LL
    > >
    > > In the future - please cross-post instead of multi-posting. Thanks.
    > >
    > > LL,
    > >
    > > When you connect to 'broadband', how are you making the connection?
    > > Is it through a Network Card (NIC) or through some USB connection?
    > >
    > > Is your computer patched (the operating system) with the latest security
    > > updates and such from http://windowsupdates.microsoft.com/?
    > >
    > > Do you have the latest hardware drivers (particularly your network card
    > > and
    > > motherboard chipset) installed from the actual manufacturer of those
    > > components (not the microsoft updates site)?
    > >
    > > When was the last time you scanned you system for viruses/trojans/worms
    > > using an antivirus application other than the one you have installed on
    > > your
    > > system? (I recommend doing so with this online scanner:
    > > http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp )
    > >
    > > When was the last time you scanned your system for spyware/adware/malware
    > > using more than one (more like 3-5) different anti-malware applications?
    > > (I
    > > recommend Lavasoft AdAware SE 1.06, Spybot Search and Destroy 1.4,
    > > SpywareBlaster 3.4 and IE-SpyAd2 at least.)
    > >
    > > What type of firewall do you have - are you using the built-in Windows XP
    > > SP2 Firewall and have you checked its configuration for ports you did not
    > > open?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Shenan Stanley
    > > MS-MVP
    > > --
    > > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    You state somewhere in this thread that you can connect
    with a dialup. Go to this site it will give you some pointers
    It may help.
    http://tampabay.mybrighthouse.com/site/Products/HighSpeedOnline/HighSpeedSupport/Index.cfm

Connection Computers Windows XP