Terminating a game

Hello

I am GMing a game for a couple of friends.
One of them quit, and the others decided not to finish it.
I am searching for a way to finish the game and to make sure it doesn't
count for the JDPR.

I suppose I could send Doug a message, but I suppose the "terminate"
command will have the same result, and noone has to care about the game
anymore.

Am I correct with this assumption?
If I use the "terminate" command is the game still open for press, or is
it evtl. deleted from the Judge?

thanks,
Dieter

In article <2mkmenFnqpbbU1@uni-berlin.de>,
Dieter Drobny <dieter.drobny@t-online.de> wrote:
>Hello
>
>I am GMing a game for a couple of friends.
>One of them quit, and the others decided not to finish it.
>I am searching for a way to finish the game and to make sure it doesn't
>count for the JDPR.
>
>I suppose I could send Doug a message, but I suppose the "terminate"
>command will have the same result, and noone has to care about the game
>anymore.

That's right -- just send the "terminate" command to the Judge and it will
take care of everything.

>Am I correct with this assumption?
>If I use the "terminate" command is the game still open for press, or is
>it evtl. deleted from the Judge?

The Judge will delete the game after a week of no activity.

-Tim Miller

Fine.

"Terminate" seems to be the perfect solution for my "problem"

Dieter

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:39:34 GMT, Tim Miller
<btmiller@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:

>> I am GMing a game for a couple of friends.
>> One of them quit, and the others decided not to finish it.
>> I am searching for a way to finish the game and to make sure it doesn't
>> count for the JDPR.
>>
>> I suppose I could send Doug a message, but I suppose the "terminate"
>> command will have the same result, and noone has to care about the game
>> anymore.
>
> That's right -- just send the "terminate" command to the Judge and it
> will
> take care of everything.

And what to do in a slightly different situation where you would like the
game to still count?

That is, 4 players left, one resigns. The three players still around would
rather settle the game in a draw than to look for a replacement player.
How to tackle this?

Thanks,

Remmy

> And what to do in a slightly different situation where you would like
> the game to still count?
>
> That is, 4 players left, one resigns. The three players still around
> would rather settle the game in a draw than to look for a replacement
> player. How to tackle this?

That should be easy
As the GM, takeover the abandoned power with "become power" and
set draw.

oops, of course doing it that way,
it's a four-way draw.

with DIAS I don't think it's possible to take out the abandoned power
from a draw, is it?

Dieter Drobny <dieter.drobny@t-online.de> writes:

>oops, of course doing it that way,
>it's a four-way draw.

>with DIAS I don't think it's possible to take out the abandoned power
>from a draw, is it?

It is generally considered NOT a good thing to do to change the DIAS
status of a game in mid-stream. This actually is a bit of a
perversion isn't it? Think about context.... 17 center power
resigns, other three players say let's call the game as a three
way, what you say DOESN'T make sense and looks like a travesty.
1 center power resigns, we think it looks fine. Where is the
proper "dividing line"? Better to call a standby and play it
out, take out the guy if you can/want.

Jim-Bob

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:28:04 +0200, Dieter Drobny
<dieter.drobny@t-online.de> wrote:

> That should be easy
> As the GM, takeover the abandoned power with "become power" and
> set draw.

Won't the abandoned power share in the draw then?

Thanks,

Remco

>> That should be easy
>> As the GM, takeover the abandoned power with "become power" and
>> set draw.
>

> Won't the abandoned power share in the draw then?

Yes, it would. I recognized I forgot that after hitting the "send" button.
I don't think changing the DIAS-flag is a good thing either.

At least, I would not have allowed my players to do that.
If they want the game to count they should wait for a replacement and
play the game out.
If they don't care whether the game counts or not, terminating the game
is just as fine as to end it by setting draw.

LOL! Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 02:00:00 GMT, David E. Cohen <david_e_cohen@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> "Remco Rijnders" <remco@webconquest.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:28:04 +0200, Dieter Drobny
>> <dieter.drobny@t-online.de> wrote:
>>
>> > That should be easy
>> > As the GM, takeover the abandoned power with "become power" and
>> > set draw.
>>
>> Won't the abandoned power share in the draw then?
>
> LOL! Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

What's so funny?

Because it's a draw! Unless they weren't paying attention, everyone
already knows how they did. Drawmongery for the sake of getting a
better rating is bad enough. To think that some people would do this
in an intellectually dishonest way raises things to a whole new level
of pitiability.

Consider the pursuit of victory as a horse. In this case, the horse
lies dead in front of a wagon full of players. Flogging the carcass
will not move any of the players forward.