The Future of Computing

kpramen

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I read this article on TrustedReviews.com http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile...=Google+Reader

In summary, it mentioned how quickly mobile hardware is advancing, at a much faster rate than mobile software. But that's not what I want to discuss.

The article points out that Nvidia has plans to bring out a quad-core CPU along with a 12-core GPU. Qualcomm will have a quad-core CPU that will run at 2.5 GHz. All of this in 2011! These mobile machines are quickly catching up to their traditional, mainstream PC counterparts. Yes, I understand they still can't compete with the latest bleeding edge hardware, but that demographic makes up a small part of the market.

It got me thinking about what the future of mobile, perhaps general, computing will look like.

Do you imagine a future where (mobile) computing will be:

(A) General Computing = cell phone + full blown OS + wireless display technology + any display, any location?

Or

(B) General Computing = cell phone + the "cloud"* + wireless display technology + any display, any location?
*By the "cloud," I mean all the computing/processing and data storage will be done elsewhere)

Or

(C) Something else--I saw Chris Hardwick on Attack of the Show say that computing will be just people walking up to any terminal, having a biometric scan, and all of our data and settings will just sync and be available.

Though the article is about hardware, I see the technology in cell phones to be the same--they will just get more powerful and robust. Cell phones will have all the same capabilities and features of their PC counterparts, if not already.

sgtmattbaker

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
If all of these happen, B) will happen first, then A, then C.

If only one can happen, I'm thinking A. I can't imagine cloud services completely replacing a full OS, but I could be wrong (also, part of me hopes it doesn't. I am not very trusting with some business controlling all my applications, files, etc., even before you start talking about data security)