Tags:
  • Flat Panel Monitors
  • Gaming
  • Games
  • CRT Monitors
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
May 26, 2006 6:04:01 PM

I have heard that CRT's are better for gaming. Is this true? If not what response time would be good for a flat panel for games?

More about : crt flatpanel games

June 1, 2006 8:08:32 PM

Generally that would be true. Now however; LCD panels are faster and can handle games very nicely. I have a LG L1720PQ Black-Silver 17" 8ms LCD Monitor and I can play Battlefield 2 on 1280x1024 resolution and no ghosting at all. I upgraded from my MAG 17" CRT and I am glad I did. The colors are all very sharp and its much better on my LCD than it was on my CRT monitor. I suggest you get a LCD montior with at least an 8ms or lower response time. Also its better to spend the money on a monitor that supports a DVI port, VGA ports just are not as good, becuase they are not digital. If you can get a monitor with a DVI and VGA then your good to go.
June 2, 2006 11:46:31 AM

Quote:
Generally that would be true. Now however; LCD panels are faster and can handle games very nicely. I have a LG L1720PQ Black-Silver 17" 8ms LCD Monitor and I can play Battlefield 2 on 1280x1024 resolution and no ghosting at all. I upgraded from my MAG 17" CRT and I am glad I did. The colors are all very sharp and its much better on my LCD than it was on my CRT monitor. I suggest you get a LCD montior with at least an 8ms or lower response time. Also its better to spend the money on a monitor that supports a DVI port, VGA ports just are not as good, becuase they are not digital. If you can get a monitor with a DVI and VGA then your good to go.

Agreed. Flat panels are just as good at gaming as CRT. Keep below 8ms and do some research as LCD monitors can be targeted for certain applications. Some are designed for games/movies, some are better at office applications, others are good for photo editing, but very few are good all-rounders. I reluntantly upgraded to LCD a few months ago, but I haven't looked back.