Restore / Backup on Notebooks

I am looking at Restore/ Backup on my Notebook which does not have a floppy
drive. If I use the backup tool that comes with XP Pro, you need a floppy
dirve to do, 'Automated System Recovery Preparation Wizard'. I want to be
able to save the system files, so what does a good notebook user do?

Why can't I save this info to a CD?

Thanks
--
FL Consultant
12 answers Last reply

    Hi

    If you haven't got a floppy drive, you can use a USB floppy drive to backup
    the relevent files to. Then if ASR is needed to restore, you will need to
    alter the boot sequence in the BIOS to point to the USB drive.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am looking at Restore/ Backup on my Notebook which does not have a floppy
    > drive. If I use the backup tool that comes with XP Pro, you need a floppy
    > dirve to do, 'Automated System Recovery Preparation Wizard'. I want to be
    > able to save the system files, so what does a good notebook user do?
    >
    > Why can't I save this info to a CD?
    >

    > Thanks
    > --
    > FL Consultant

    Personally I don't like the built in backup/restore tools.

    I use Partitionmagic to make a spare partition if there isn't one already,
    format it as FAT32, then use Ghost to back up the entire XP partition to it.
    I can change the ghost settings so the files produced will fit on either a
    DVD or CD then use the main system to burn them to the appropriate media.
    Remember to verify the CD/DVD using Ghost before you delete the backup from
    the PC though

    That way even if I crash and replace the hard drive I have a backup I can
    restore

    Thanks Will. Mayb you can't answer this but why are floppys MS prefered
    media today.???? How about a removable disk like sandisk or some thing like
    that?

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > If you haven't got a floppy drive, you can use a USB floppy drive to backup
    > the relevent files to. Then if ASR is needed to restore, you will need to
    > alter the boot sequence in the BIOS to point to the USB drive.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am looking at Restore/ Backup on my Notebook which does not have a floppy
    > > drive. If I use the backup tool that comes with XP Pro, you need a floppy
    > > dirve to do, 'Automated System Recovery Preparation Wizard'. I want to be
    > > able to save the system files, so what does a good notebook user do?
    > >
    > > Why can't I save this info to a CD?
    > >

    > > Thanks
    > > --
    > > FL Consultant

    If I understand you correctly, you are backing up the entire HD. Or am I
    missing something. That makes it easier to restore but not to backup. How
    many CD are you using to back up you complete hard drive?

    Thanks

    "esme" wrote:

    > Personally I don't like the built in backup/restore tools.
    >
    > I use Partitionmagic to make a spare partition if there isn't one already,
    > format it as FAT32, then use Ghost to back up the entire XP partition to it.
    > I can change the ghost settings so the files produced will fit on either a
    > DVD or CD then use the main system to burn them to the appropriate media.
    > Remember to verify the CD/DVD using Ghost before you delete the backup from
    > the PC though
    >
    > That way even if I crash and replace the hard drive I have a backup I can
    > restore

    I do the same.
    I have a small Windows XP partition ( 5GB). Image files are about 1.5 GB big
    so I burn them to a DVD-RW. Restore takes 15-20 mins. Creating the image 5
    mins ( under windows : I use Acronis TrueImage).
    That is very comfortable
    I have
    - 1 image of nude fresh install Windows XP that I keep
    - 1 image of XP after updating form Windows Update center, making all my
    user settings ( desktop, web access, profiles, ....) that I keep
    That way never have to do a clean install :just at worse restore an "install
    image"
    Then I have 10 DVD-RW that I rotate with 2-3 images on each of them (
    allways have an image less than 1 month old)

    Easy to restore even if Windows totally dead, or hard disk dead and
    replaced.

    Also I keep my "personal" files on a separate partition so I never risk to
    loose them if I restore an image ( favorites, desktop icons, quicklaunch
    bar, start menu items, Outlook Express files, my documents folders and
    alike, sendto folder, personal system-wide script files etc)

    Backup can work of course, but what if your Windows is dead : can you
    restore from a dead hard disk ? Or infected ? And which files save ?

    I still do backups, but only of data files, with incremenatl backups to save
    place.
    These backups are partly saved to DVD-DL ( for security) and partly to an
    external Hard Drive that is only connected to the PC for backup-restore
    purposes ( to limitate the risk of infecting it, or erroneously delete
    something), and otherwise is stored outside of the office.

    Phil

    "FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
    message de news: 18525BA9-9008-464F-ACC1-EB510DF019BE@microsoft.com...
    > If I understand you correctly, you are backing up the entire HD. Or am I
    > missing something. That makes it easier to restore but not to backup.
    > How
    > many CD are you using to back up you complete hard drive?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > "esme" wrote:
    >
    >> Personally I don't like the built in backup/restore tools.
    >>
    >> I use Partitionmagic to make a spare partition if there isn't one
    >> already,
    >> format it as FAT32, then use Ghost to back up the entire XP partition to
    >> it.
    >> I can change the ghost settings so the files produced will fit on either
    >> DVD or CD then use the main system to burn them to the appropriate media.
    >> Remember to verify the CD/DVD using Ghost before you delete the backup
    >> from
    >> the PC though
    >>
    >> That way even if I crash and replace the hard drive I have a backup I can
    >> restore

    Hi

    Hardware is not down to MS, but the manufacturer of the desktop/laptop. I
    have 2 desktops here + one laptop with no floppy drive in them. That is
    manufacturer specific. You'll have to use a USB floppy, if needed, as I do.
    Have a word with your Notebook supplier - see what they have to say on the
    matter.

    --

    > Thanks Will. Mayb you can't answer this but why are floppys MS prefered
    > media today.???? How about a removable disk like sandisk or some thing
    > like
    > that?
    >

    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> If you haven't got a floppy drive, you can use a USB floppy drive to
    >> backup
    >> the relevent files to. Then if ASR is needed to restore, you will need
    >> alter the boot sequence in the BIOS to point to the USB drive.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I am looking at Restore/ Backup on my Notebook which does not have a
    >> >floppy
    >> > drive. If I use the backup tool that comes with XP Pro, you need a
    >> > floppy
    >> > dirve to do, 'Automated System Recovery Preparation Wizard'. I want to
    >> > be
    >> > able to save the system files, so what does a good notebook user do?
    >> >
    >> > Why can't I save this info to a CD?
    >> >

    >> > Thanks
    >> > --
    >> > FL Consultant

    I appreciate your input but in this case it is MS that is driving the
    hardware. There backup system requires that the files be stored on a floppy
    and you don't get to choose what media you want to you.

    I do appreciate your help.

    Thanks

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Hardware is not down to MS, but the manufacturer of the desktop/laptop. I
    > have 2 desktops here + one laptop with no floppy drive in them. That is
    > manufacturer specific. You'll have to use a USB floppy, if needed, as I do.
    > Have a word with your Notebook supplier - see what they have to say on the
    > matter.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks Will. Mayb you can't answer this but why are floppys MS prefered
    > > media today.???? How about a removable disk like sandisk or some thing
    > > like
    > > that?
    > >

    > > "Will Denny" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi
    > >>
    > >> If you haven't got a floppy drive, you can use a USB floppy drive to
    > >> backup
    > >> the relevent files to. Then if ASR is needed to restore, you will need
    > >> alter the boot sequence in the BIOS to point to the USB drive.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Will Denny
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >> Please reply to the News Groups
    > >>

    > >> "FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    You may buy a USB floppy drive.

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    FL Consultant wrote:

    > I am looking at Restore/ Backup on my Notebook which does not have a floppy
    > drive. If I use the backup tool that comes with XP Pro, you need a floppy
    > dirve to do, 'Automated System Recovery Preparation Wizard'. I want to be
    > able to save the system files, so what does a good notebook user do?
    >
    > Why can't I save this info to a CD?
    >

    > Thanks

    Hi

    Yes, but you need a floppy drive to use ASR. If your laptop supplier didn't
    provide one, then it is down to them, not MS in this case.

    --

    FL Consultant wrote:

    > I am looking at Restore/ Backup on my Notebook which does not have a floppy
    > drive. If I use the backup tool that comes with XP Pro, you need a floppy
    > dirve to do, 'Automated System Recovery Preparation Wizard'. I want to be
    > able to save the system files, so what does a good notebook user do?
    >
    > Why can't I save this info to a CD?
    >

    > Thanks

    Ntbackup is an old app. It was not updated - it works very well for
    tape, or network backups. ASR needs a floppy drive. Not much point in
    asking why - that won't help get you around that one fact. Try Backup
    My PC from Stompsoft or use a disk imaging program such as Norton Ghost,
    Acronis True Image or BootIt NG

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Yes I am taking the entire partition XP is installed in
    At the moment it all fits on a single DVD - roughly 5 CD's worth, I
    recommend using a USB hard disk drive though to get the backup off the system

    "FL Consultant" wrote:

    > If I understand you correctly, you are backing up the entire HD. Or am I
    > missing something. That makes it easier to restore but not to backup. How
    > many CD are you using to back up you complete hard drive?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > "esme" wrote:
    >
    > > Personally I don't like the built in backup/restore tools.
    > >
    > > I use Partitionmagic to make a spare partition if there isn't one already,
    > > format it as FAT32, then use Ghost to back up the entire XP partition to it.
    > > I can change the ghost settings so the files produced will fit on either a
    > > DVD or CD then use the main system to burn them to the appropriate media.
    > > Remember to verify the CD/DVD using Ghost before you delete the backup from
    > > the PC though
    > >
    > > That way even if I crash and replace the hard drive I have a backup I can
    > > restore

    Will, we are going to disagree on this but my point is that ASR was written
    by MS. MS decided that they would require the user to have to use a floppy
    drive to store the data. They could have decided when the S/W was written to
    give people an option to save the data to different media but they did not.
    Most likely ASR was written before CDs / Memory Sticks were as popular as
    they are. SW drives what a manufacture will do in many cases.

    What will MS do if you can no longer buy a floppy? Because that will happen
    in the near future. It is sort of like the car manufaturer. Do they
    continue to put 8 track players in the car. No they now use CD players
    because 8 track became obsolete. That is the same with floppy drives but MS
    has not address the problem with their routine.

Floppy Disk Notebooks Backup Windows XP