Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Restore / Backup on Notebooks

Tags:
  • Floppy Disk
  • Notebooks
  • Backup
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 7:03:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I am looking at Restore/ Backup on my Notebook which does not have a floppy
drive. If I use the backup tool that comes with XP Pro, you need a floppy
dirve to do, 'Automated System Recovery Preparation Wizard'. I want to be
able to save the system files, so what does a good notebook user do?

Why can't I save this info to a CD?


Thanks
--
FL Consultant

More about : restore backup notebooks

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 3:11:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi

If you haven't got a floppy drive, you can use a USB floppy drive to backup
the relevent files to. Then if ASR is needed to restore, you will need to
alter the boot sequence in the BIOS to point to the USB drive.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups


"FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B07B637E-A038-4682-AC82-BE0415173331@microsoft.com...
>I am looking at Restore/ Backup on my Notebook which does not have a floppy
> drive. If I use the backup tool that comes with XP Pro, you need a floppy
> dirve to do, 'Automated System Recovery Preparation Wizard'. I want to be
> able to save the system files, so what does a good notebook user do?
>
> Why can't I save this info to a CD?
>
>
> Thanks
> --
> FL Consultant
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 3:11:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Personally I don't like the built in backup/restore tools.

I use Partitionmagic to make a spare partition if there isn't one already,
format it as FAT32, then use Ghost to back up the entire XP partition to it.
I can change the ghost settings so the files produced will fit on either a
DVD or CD then use the main system to burn them to the appropriate media.
Remember to verify the CD/DVD using Ghost before you delete the backup from
the PC though

That way even if I crash and replace the hard drive I have a backup I can
restore
Related resources
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 3:11:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks Will. Mayb you can't answer this but why are floppys MS prefered
media today.???? How about a removable disk like sandisk or some thing like
that?


"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> If you haven't got a floppy drive, you can use a USB floppy drive to backup
> the relevent files to. Then if ASR is needed to restore, you will need to
> alter the boot sequence in the BIOS to point to the USB drive.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>
>
> "FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:B07B637E-A038-4682-AC82-BE0415173331@microsoft.com...
> >I am looking at Restore/ Backup on my Notebook which does not have a floppy
> > drive. If I use the backup tool that comes with XP Pro, you need a floppy
> > dirve to do, 'Automated System Recovery Preparation Wizard'. I want to be
> > able to save the system files, so what does a good notebook user do?
> >
> > Why can't I save this info to a CD?
> >
> >
> > Thanks
> > --
> > FL Consultant
>
>
>
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 3:11:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

If I understand you correctly, you are backing up the entire HD. Or am I
missing something. That makes it easier to restore but not to backup. How
many CD are you using to back up you complete hard drive?

Thanks

"esme" wrote:

> Personally I don't like the built in backup/restore tools.
>
> I use Partitionmagic to make a spare partition if there isn't one already,
> format it as FAT32, then use Ghost to back up the entire XP partition to it.
> I can change the ghost settings so the files produced will fit on either a
> DVD or CD then use the main system to burn them to the appropriate media.
> Remember to verify the CD/DVD using Ghost before you delete the backup from
> the PC though
>
> That way even if I crash and replace the hard drive I have a backup I can
> restore
June 22, 2005 6:19:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I do the same.
I have a small Windows XP partition ( 5GB). Image files are about 1.5 GB big
so I burn them to a DVD-RW. Restore takes 15-20 mins. Creating the image 5
mins ( under windows : I use Acronis TrueImage).
That is very comfortable
I have
- 1 image of nude fresh install Windows XP that I keep
- 1 image of XP after updating form Windows Update center, making all my
user settings ( desktop, web access, profiles, ....) that I keep
That way never have to do a clean install :just at worse restore an "install
image"
Then I have 10 DVD-RW that I rotate with 2-3 images on each of them (
allways have an image less than 1 month old)

Easy to restore even if Windows totally dead, or hard disk dead and
replaced.

Also I keep my "personal" files on a separate partition so I never risk to
loose them if I restore an image ( favorites, desktop icons, quicklaunch
bar, start menu items, Outlook Express files, my documents folders and
alike, sendto folder, personal system-wide script files etc)

Backup can work of course, but what if your Windows is dead : can you
restore from a dead hard disk ? Or infected ? And which files save ?

I still do backups, but only of data files, with incremenatl backups to save
place.
These backups are partly saved to DVD-DL ( for security) and partly to an
external Hard Drive that is only connected to the PC for backup-restore
purposes ( to limitate the risk of infecting it, or erroneously delete
something), and otherwise is stored outside of the office.

Phil

"FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
message de news: 18525BA9-9008-464F-ACC1-EB510DF019BE@microsoft.com...
> If I understand you correctly, you are backing up the entire HD. Or am I
> missing something. That makes it easier to restore but not to backup.
> How
> many CD are you using to back up you complete hard drive?
>
> Thanks
>
> "esme" wrote:
>
>> Personally I don't like the built in backup/restore tools.
>>
>> I use Partitionmagic to make a spare partition if there isn't one
>> already,
>> format it as FAT32, then use Ghost to back up the entire XP partition to
>> it.
>> I can change the ghost settings so the files produced will fit on either
>> a
>> DVD or CD then use the main system to burn them to the appropriate media.
>> Remember to verify the CD/DVD using Ghost before you delete the backup
>> from
>> the PC though
>>
>> That way even if I crash and replace the hard drive I have a backup I can
>> restore
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 6:35:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi

Hardware is not down to MS, but the manufacturer of the desktop/laptop. I
have 2 desktops here + one laptop with no floppy drive in them. That is
manufacturer specific. You'll have to use a USB floppy, if needed, as I do.
Have a word with your Notebook supplier - see what they have to say on the
matter.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups


"FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:9C19E17C-5D16-4687-92E6-2893A724C302@microsoft.com...
> Thanks Will. Mayb you can't answer this but why are floppys MS prefered
> media today.???? How about a removable disk like sandisk or some thing
> like
> that?
>
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> If you haven't got a floppy drive, you can use a USB floppy drive to
>> backup
>> the relevent files to. Then if ASR is needed to restore, you will need
>> to
>> alter the boot sequence in the BIOS to point to the USB drive.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>
>>
>> "FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:B07B637E-A038-4682-AC82-BE0415173331@microsoft.com...
>> >I am looking at Restore/ Backup on my Notebook which does not have a
>> >floppy
>> > drive. If I use the backup tool that comes with XP Pro, you need a
>> > floppy
>> > dirve to do, 'Automated System Recovery Preparation Wizard'. I want to
>> > be
>> > able to save the system files, so what does a good notebook user do?
>> >
>> > Why can't I save this info to a CD?
>> >
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > --
>> > FL Consultant
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 6:35:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I appreciate your input but in this case it is MS that is driving the
hardware. There backup system requires that the files be stored on a floppy
and you don't get to choose what media you want to you.

I do appreciate your help.

Thanks

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Hardware is not down to MS, but the manufacturer of the desktop/laptop. I
> have 2 desktops here + one laptop with no floppy drive in them. That is
> manufacturer specific. You'll have to use a USB floppy, if needed, as I do.
> Have a word with your Notebook supplier - see what they have to say on the
> matter.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>
>
> "FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:9C19E17C-5D16-4687-92E6-2893A724C302@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks Will. Mayb you can't answer this but why are floppys MS prefered
> > media today.???? How about a removable disk like sandisk or some thing
> > like
> > that?
> >
> >
> > "Will Denny" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> If you haven't got a floppy drive, you can use a USB floppy drive to
> >> backup
> >> the relevent files to. Then if ASR is needed to restore, you will need
> >> to
> >> alter the boot sequence in the BIOS to point to the USB drive.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Will Denny
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >> Please reply to the News Groups
> >>
> >>
> >> "FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:B07B637E-A038-4682-AC82-BE0415173331@microsoft.com...
> >> >I am looking at Restore/ Backup on my Notebook which does not have a
> >> >floppy
> >> > drive. If I use the backup tool that comes with XP Pro, you need a
> >> > floppy
> >> > dirve to do, 'Automated System Recovery Preparation Wizard'. I want to
> >> > be
> >> > able to save the system files, so what does a good notebook user do?
> >> >
> >> > Why can't I save this info to a CD?
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > Thanks
> >> > --
> >> > FL Consultant
> >>
> >>
> >>
>
>
>
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 8:42:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You may buy a USB floppy drive.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

FL Consultant wrote:

> I am looking at Restore/ Backup on my Notebook which does not have a floppy
> drive. If I use the backup tool that comes with XP Pro, you need a floppy
> dirve to do, 'Automated System Recovery Preparation Wizard'. I want to be
> able to save the system files, so what does a good notebook user do?
>
> Why can't I save this info to a CD?
>
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 11:56:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi

Yes, but you need a floppy drive to use ASR. If your laptop supplier didn't
provide one, then it is down to them, not MS in this case.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups


"FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A1744269-021E-4109-A862-DF2543C99D44@microsoft.com...
>I appreciate your input but in this case it is MS that is driving the
> hardware. There backup system requires that the files be stored on a
> floppy
> and you don't get to choose what media you want to you.
>
> I do appreciate your help.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Hardware is not down to MS, but the manufacturer of the desktop/laptop.
>> I
>> have 2 desktops here + one laptop with no floppy drive in them. That is
>> manufacturer specific. You'll have to use a USB floppy, if needed, as I
>> do.
>> Have a word with your Notebook supplier - see what they have to say on
>> the
>> matter.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>
>>
>> "FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:9C19E17C-5D16-4687-92E6-2893A724C302@microsoft.com...
>> > Thanks Will. Mayb you can't answer this but why are floppys MS
>> > prefered
>> > media today.???? How about a removable disk like sandisk or some thing
>> > like
>> > that?
>> >
>> >
>> > "Will Denny" wrote:
>> >
>> >> Hi
>> >>
>> >> If you haven't got a floppy drive, you can use a USB floppy drive to
>> >> backup
>> >> the relevent files to. Then if ASR is needed to restore, you will
>> >> need
>> >> to
>> >> alter the boot sequence in the BIOS to point to the USB drive.
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >>
>> >> Will Denny
>> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> >> Please reply to the News Groups
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> "FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> >> message
>> >> news:B07B637E-A038-4682-AC82-BE0415173331@microsoft.com...
>> >> >I am looking at Restore/ Backup on my Notebook which does not have a
>> >> >floppy
>> >> > drive. If I use the backup tool that comes with XP Pro, you need a
>> >> > floppy
>> >> > dirve to do, 'Automated System Recovery Preparation Wizard'. I want
>> >> > to
>> >> > be
>> >> > able to save the system files, so what does a good notebook user do?
>> >> >
>> >> > Why can't I save this info to a CD?
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> > Thanks
>> >> > --
>> >> > FL Consultant
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>>
>>
>>
June 23, 2005 2:37:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

FL Consultant wrote:

> I am looking at Restore/ Backup on my Notebook which does not have a floppy
> drive. If I use the backup tool that comes with XP Pro, you need a floppy
> dirve to do, 'Automated System Recovery Preparation Wizard'. I want to be
> able to save the system files, so what does a good notebook user do?
>
> Why can't I save this info to a CD?
>
>
> Thanks

Ntbackup is an old app. It was not updated - it works very well for
tape, or network backups. ASR needs a floppy drive. Not much point in
asking why - that won't help get you around that one fact. Try Backup
My PC from Stompsoft or use a disk imaging program such as Norton Ghost,
Acronis True Image or BootIt NG

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 8:52:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Yes I am taking the entire partition XP is installed in
At the moment it all fits on a single DVD - roughly 5 CD's worth, I
recommend using a USB hard disk drive though to get the backup off the system

"FL Consultant" wrote:

> If I understand you correctly, you are backing up the entire HD. Or am I
> missing something. That makes it easier to restore but not to backup. How
> many CD are you using to back up you complete hard drive?
>
> Thanks
>
> "esme" wrote:
>
> > Personally I don't like the built in backup/restore tools.
> >
> > I use Partitionmagic to make a spare partition if there isn't one already,
> > format it as FAT32, then use Ghost to back up the entire XP partition to it.
> > I can change the ghost settings so the files produced will fit on either a
> > DVD or CD then use the main system to burn them to the appropriate media.
> > Remember to verify the CD/DVD using Ghost before you delete the backup from
> > the PC though
> >
> > That way even if I crash and replace the hard drive I have a backup I can
> > restore
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 4:52:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Will, we are going to disagree on this but my point is that ASR was written
by MS. MS decided that they would require the user to have to use a floppy
drive to store the data. They could have decided when the S/W was written to
give people an option to save the data to different media but they did not.
Most likely ASR was written before CDs / Memory Sticks were as popular as
they are. SW drives what a manufacture will do in many cases.

What will MS do if you can no longer buy a floppy? Because that will happen
in the near future. It is sort of like the car manufaturer. Do they
continue to put 8 track players in the car. No they now use CD players
because 8 track became obsolete. That is the same with floppy drives but MS
has not address the problem with their routine.


"Will Denny" wrote:
> Hi
>
> Yes, but you need a floppy drive to use ASR. If your laptop supplier didn't
> provide one, then it is down to them, not MS in this case.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>
>
> "FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:A1744269-021E-4109-A862-DF2543C99D44@microsoft.com...
> >I appreciate your input but in this case it is MS that is driving the
> > hardware. There backup system requires that the files be stored on a
> > floppy
> > and you don't get to choose what media you want to you.
> >
> > I do appreciate your help.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > "Will Denny" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Hardware is not down to MS, but the manufacturer of the desktop/laptop.
> >> I
> >> have 2 desktops here + one laptop with no floppy drive in them. That is
> >> manufacturer specific. You'll have to use a USB floppy, if needed, as I
> >> do.
> >> Have a word with your Notebook supplier - see what they have to say on
> >> the
> >> matter.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Will Denny
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >> Please reply to the News Groups
> >>
> >>
> >> "FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:9C19E17C-5D16-4687-92E6-2893A724C302@microsoft.com...
> >> > Thanks Will. Mayb you can't answer this but why are floppys MS
> >> > prefered
> >> > media today.???? How about a removable disk like sandisk or some thing
> >> > like
> >> > that?
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > "Will Denny" wrote:
> >> >
> >> >> Hi
> >> >>
> >> >> If you haven't got a floppy drive, you can use a USB floppy drive to
> >> >> backup
> >> >> the relevent files to. Then if ASR is needed to restore, you will
> >> >> need
> >> >> to
> >> >> alter the boot sequence in the BIOS to point to the USB drive.
> >> >>
> >> >> --
> >> >>
> >> >> Will Denny
> >> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >> >> Please reply to the News Groups
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >> "FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> >> message
> >> >> news:B07B637E-A038-4682-AC82-BE0415173331@microsoft.com...
> >> >> >I am looking at Restore/ Backup on my Notebook which does not have a
> >> >> >floppy
> >> >> > drive. If I use the backup tool that comes with XP Pro, you need a
> >> >> > floppy
> >> >> > dirve to do, 'Automated System Recovery Preparation Wizard'. I want
> >> >> > to
> >> >> > be
> >> >> > able to save the system files, so what does a good notebook user do?
> >> >> >
> >> >> > Why can't I save this info to a CD?
> >> >> >
> >> >> >
> >> >> > Thanks
> >> >> > --
> >> >> > FL Consultant
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
>
>
>
!