Complete System Restore

Hello,
Does anyone know how to get rid of everything on your computer and start
from scratch. I bought my computer second hand and it had a non-genuine
windows xp on it. I have a genuine one now and want to install this. I tried
just installing it but it just added another member profile and kept all the
old info. Any help with this would be very much appreciated.
6 answers Last reply
More about complete system restore

    Hi,

    Boot the system from the CD, start setup and agree to the license (hit F8).
    At the point where you choose the installation location, instead delete the
    existing system partition. Then create a new from the free space that has
    been created. Then use the quick format in NTFS and proceed with the
    installation. Make sure you have your Product Key handy, you will need it.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Gary Stanley wrote:
    > Hello,
    > Does anyone know how to get rid of everything on your computer and
    > start from scratch. I bought my computer second hand and it had a
    > non-genuine windows xp on it. I have a genuine one now and want to
    > install this. I tried just installing it but it just added another
    > member profile and kept all the old info. Any help with this would be
    > very much appreciated.

    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    You have to boot up the computer from a Windows XP CD. Choose to install the
    O/S. The O/S will search for a previous O/S, and will likely find one.
    Choose to install new, not upgrade/repair. You will then be brought to a
    screen where you can choose the partition to install Windows XP on. Choose
    the partition and also choose to "format" the partition. This will get rid
    of the old operating system.

    If you do not have the "full install" version of XP, but have the upgrade
    version instead, you will be asked to insert the qualifying product CD to
    prove that you can do an upgrade - clean install. If you do, put your Win98
    CD (or whatever) in the drive. When told to take it back out and replace it
    with the WinXP CD to continue.

    Good luck!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    In news:BCAFCD18-7169-43AF-86EC-DED1610BF31E@microsoft.com,
    Gary Stanley <GaryStanley@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Does anyone know how to get rid of everything on your computer
    > and
    > start from scratch. I bought my computer second hand and it had
    > non-genuine windows xp on it. I have a genuine one now and want
    > install this. I tried just installing it but it just added
    > another
    > member profile and kept all the old info. Any help with this
    > would be
    > very much appreciated.

    I am usually against doing this, but the one major exception I
    make is when you've bought a used computer, whether or not its
    Windows is genuine or not. You have no idea how the computer has
    been maintained, what has been installed incorrectly, what is
    missing, what viruses and spyware there may be, etc. I wouldn't
    want to live with somebody else's mistakes and problems,
    possibility of kiddie porn, etc., and I wouldn't recommend that
    anyone else do either.

    Just boot from the Windows XP CD (change the BIOS boot order if
    necessary to accomplish this) and follow the prompts for a clean
    installation (delete the existing partition by pressing "D" when
    prompted, then create a new one).

    You can find detailed instructions here:

    or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm

    or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    'Performing a Clean Install of Windows XP'
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/honeycutt_02october07.mspx

    'Clean Install of Windows XP'

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Ken Blake wrote:

    > I am usually against doing this, but the one major exception I
    > make is when you've bought a used computer, whether or not its
    > Windows is genuine or not. You have no idea how the computer has
    > been maintained, what has been installed incorrectly, what is
    > missing, what viruses and spyware there may be, etc. I wouldn't
    > want to live with somebody else's mistakes and problems,
    > possibility of kiddie porn, etc., and I wouldn't recommend that
    > anyone else do either.

    Too bad one cant do that with used cars :)

Computers Microsoft System Restore Windows XP