Worthwhile to upgrade RAM?

Galtomasum

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
Hi,
My generic system is a bit older, but I'm not ready to replace it yet, so am considering other options. Seems to have gotten slower (i.e. lots of HD access) lately, possibly since installing NAV a month ago. Wondering if upgrading RAM will noticeably improve speed. Specs are as follows...

PIII 600EB
AOpen AX63Pro MoBo
192MB SDRAM PC-133 (64MB + 128MB)
20GB Maxtor HD
ATI Radeon DDR32 video

If you need more sysinfo, please let me know.

Look forward to your expert opinions...

Thanks!

Todd

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, you're shy on RAM and increasing it will give you better results. Later on maybe you'll consider buying an Upgradeware Slot-T adapter ($20) so you can get a Tualatin upgrade. While the PIII-S 1400 should work on your board, the Tualatin Celeron 1100, when overclocked to 1466MHz, will provide similar performance for 1/4 the price.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
Definitely upgrade the ram. I don't suggest an active virus scanner with anything less than 256MB of ram, and even then, can be pushign it if you do anything intensive on the system.

PC100/133 can be found cheap on Ebay, I know, cuz I just dumped half a gig a month or two ago(upgraded my WIndows box to a p4/1GB, so didn't need the full 768MB in other box anymore which now jsut runs sSlack, and almost exclusively console apps, not X).

Look around. If you are buying used ram though, suggest something with a lifetime warranty like Crucial. And run a long batch of Memtst day you get it(or overnight at least). Keeps you from using yoru comptuer at the time, but want to make sure ram works, especially as even if it's not used, approaching EOL on some of these things, so want to replace it now if you have any trouble while memory makers still have pretty large amoutns of SDRAM(going to be around for a while still, but it is being phased out)

Galtomasum

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
Thanks for your feedback, folks. Will start looking 'round at pricing. Was hoping to just add 128MB, but if I can swing the $, will try to do 256MB instead.

Crashman thanks for the tip re the Slot-T adapter and processor upgrade.. definitely something to consider, but likely a little more expensive than $20 for the adapter here in Canada :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think the adapter is $30 in Canada, but that's only something like $22 in real money anyway :tongue:

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>