Statistics & Variant (Swiss)

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

I have been digging around the net for a while and (unfortunately) been
unable to come up with a couple of questions, so, I shall as them here; I
apologise if these are frequent or otherwise answered questions.

1) Is there anyway to get full information on the games played via DPjudge
or any other medium? (I'm curious as to how civil disorder can skew
perception of power and play balance in standard vs gunboat varieties, among
other things; I see statistics quoted frequently but I know of no link to
the 'raw' source) or need I generate my own?

2) Has anyone ever tried a simple rule/map variant to chane Switzerland
from being impassible to being a neutral supply center? (My curiousity was
provoked by reading the Gamer's Guide to 1900, though I have never played
that variant) If anyone has tried, is there any data/what was the general
'feel' of it? If not, would it be inapproprate to alter a map and the
neccissary files and submit it to DPjudge simply out of curiousity of how it
might play and would there (possibly) be interest?

"Jack" <rjm290@psu.edu> writes:

>I have been digging around the net for a while and (unfortunately) been
>unable to come up with a couple of questions, so, I shall as them here; I
>apologise if these are frequent or otherwise answered questions.

>1) Is there anyway to get full information on the games played via DPjudge
>or any other medium? (I'm curious as to how civil disorder can skew
>perception of power and play balance in standard vs gunboat varieties, among
>other things; I see statistics quoted frequently but I know of no link to
>the 'raw' source) or need I generate my own?

I'll let someone else answer the technical questions, but your problem
in the Judge databases is that there are NOT many CD games since
Eric Klien's original wonderful idea that games played electronically
by E-Mail should be No-NMR games. The retired Dipper and current
Lifeboat director is nothing if not a visionary.

The other environments where CD is more common don't have as good
statistics, I believe. But someone else can jump in and suggest.

>2) Has anyone ever tried a simple rule/map variant to chane Switzerland
>from being impassible to being a neutral supply center? (My curiousity was
>provoked by reading the Gamer's Guide to 1900, though I have never played
>that variant) If anyone has tried, is there any data/what was the general
>'feel' of it? If not, would it be inapproprate to alter a map and the
>neccissary files and submit it to DPjudge simply out of curiousity of how it
>might play and would there (possibly) be interest?

I don't believe it has ever been Judge coded, one variant that works
and is related to the idea is "chromatic" which has been Judge coded
and surrounds this Swiss supply center with "five Italies". This
is, of course, a balanced variant. The simple Swiss SC variant
has never been thought of as very interesting as its imbalances
make it close to unplayable, expecially for the witches that can't
get there.

Jim-Bob

"Jack" <rjm290@psu.edu> wrote in message

> 1) Is there anyway to get full information on the games played via
DPjudge
> or any other medium? (I'm curious as to how civil disorder can skew
> perception of power and play balance in standard vs gunboat varieties,
among
> other things; I see statistics quoted frequently but I know of no link to
> the 'raw' source) or need I generate my own?

Alain Tesio has the answer. You can search past games on floc.net. Check out
this link:

http://www.floc.net/observer.py?page=search_form

Derek

TRENDING THREADS