EFS - encrypted file restoration from backup only?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

Hello,

I have a full backup (at least AFAICT) of a WinXP system. I couldn't
restore this to a working system, though, and I didn't create a backup of
the private keys before the disk crashed.

Is there a way to get access to the encrypted files from the backup, using
any of the files that are part of the backed up system, without getting the
backed up system actually running? Specifically, there is a
"BootFiles/C_/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application
Data/Microsoft/Crypto/RSA/MachineKeys/ directory with a number of files in
the system backup.

Thanks for any pointers.

(And don't tell me to back up my private keys next time... I learned my
lesson :)

Gerhard

Step 3 on this link may help:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/encrypt.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

On 6/22/05 13:17:32, Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:

>> I have a full backup (at least AFAICT) of a WinXP system. I couldn't
>> restore this to a working system, though, and I didn't create a backup
>> of the private keys before the disk crashed.
>>
>> Is there a way to get access to the encrypted files from the backup,
>> using any of the files that are part of the backed up system, without
>> getting the backed up system actually running?

> Step 3 on this link may help:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/encrypt.htm

Thanks a lot. The do-it-yourself method is a bit above my head... I could
try it on a separate installation, though.

They talk about Microsoft's reccerts.exe that supposedly is available
through paying for a support request. Is there some information available
whether this tool would help me in my situation, and if so, whether
Microsoft actually would provide me with it after I pay $35?

Thanks,
Gerhard