NEC 20.1" Widescreen or Viewsonice VX922 for gaming?

crazy032

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2004
I would now like to get an LCD monitor to replace my CRT. Should I save and get the NEC or buy the Viewsonic now and possibly a second one later?
Thanks in advance for your replies.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
actually looking at the same exact thing pretty much, right now i am looking at either getting a
BenQ 20.1 Widescreen BenQ FP202W Black 20.1"
or the
Viewsonic VX922 ViewSonic VX922 Black/Silver 19"

so interested in what people say also...my situation is the same as i am looking to game on it mostly, some DVDs too,

as far as that NEC i would definitely not recommed it, if you can get two VX922s for the price of NEC your wasting your money, i would definitely consider the BenQ as it offers good response time and is still widescreen although you will never beat the VX922s gaming prowess

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
the NEC isn't worth that, if you chose the NEC for $759 over the BenQ for $299 just so you can a 2ms lower response time then you wasting your money...

if you don't think the VX922 will be good enough the best solution would be to get one

Viewsonic VX922 $269

and

Viewsonic VP930 $339

the VX922 will deliver awesome gaming performance while the VP930 will give you the best picture quality over any other 19" and it would end up still being cheaper than the NEC and giving you way better performance, i wouldn't touch the NEC with a broomstick for that price..

crazy032

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2004
Ok, then as I do some photo editing, but mostly use my PC for games, should I get the VX922 or the VP930b? The 922 has a 2ms response time, and the 930 has a 8ms response time. I'd prefer the 930 due to increased picture quality, but I'm afraid of ghosting in games. Right now I'm playing Oblivion on my CRT with the grahpics maxed and it looks awesome, and I'm concerned about having the detail level of the game ruined with ghosting.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
with no actual experience with the VP930 i couldn't tell you if there is ghosting, even though its an 8ms response time i doubt you will notice much if any ghosting at all, its not going to be a slouch in games even though it delivers good picture quality look here to make your final choice on the actually testing of it by Tom's Hardware Review for VP930

entire review for 19" monitors...CLick here

crazy032

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2004
After checking around a bit, I decided to go with the VP930B. I'm mostly playing Oblivion right now, and I'm curious to see how it looks. I'll post my review as soon as I get it.

travbomb

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
You shoulda got the NEC hands down. The 930B uses an MVA panel and the 922 uses a TN panel. Both of which are going to give you problems with any sort of color reproduction in your photo work. The NEC uses an S-IPS panel which is the best overall panel on the market at the moment hence why it costs much more. The 20WMGX2 is also the highest rated 20 inch gaming monitor on the market too. You should take a look at some of the reviews for it and you will understand.

http://www.necdisplay.com/products/AwardsReviewsDetail.cfm?Product=438&document_id=2304&ClassificationFamily=2&Classification=1

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,125924,00.asp

By the way whoever is recommending BenQ models needs some monitor education because you could not pay me to look at a POS like that. I mean they used to be the main suplier for dell. That should say it all.

SurrealBeingX

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
yea, Ive been reading a lot about the NEC 20WMGX2, and it looks like a real winner. The color from screen shots ive seen looks superb, and I cant believe that Toms Hardware didnt even mention the Advanced DVM feature that it has in their recent review, that up the contrast from 700:1 to 1600:1. Thats pretty scandalous, guess they just looked over it with all the monitors they looked at...

this review is good, with nice screen shots of the impeccable color and what seems like 100% perfect viewing angles...

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/nec_20wgx2.htm

I think Toms Hardware really messed up their review of this LCD, its amazing....I just ordered it...I'll post my findings when I get it.

SurrealBeingX

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Well, I got the screen. The reflections on the screen are pretty bad, especially if you are sensitive to that type of thing, like I am. But, the color and everything else is perfect in a setting where there is no direct light source in front of the LCD. Personally, I think the LCD may be a bit overrated, and I cannot justify my $618 I spent on it....so I've been reduced to Ebaying it and getting another widescreen LCD....

This is a really nice screen...if you eliminate the direct light sources.... :x

Venomous21

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Well, I got the screen. The reflections on the screen are pretty bad, especially if you are sensitive to that type of thing, like I am. But, the color and everything else is perfect in a setting where there is no direct light source in front of the LCD. Personally, I think the LCD may be a bit overrated, and I cannot justify my $618 I spent on it....so I've been reduced to Ebaying it and getting another widescreen LCD....

This is a really nice screen...if you eliminate the direct light sources....

How bright is this display to you? One of my big gripes with my current LCD is that it is really bright. Turning down the brightness helps to a degree but then I lose a lot of contrast and black levels. How is that display when reading black text on a white background? Reflections aside, was it easy on the eyes? I am in a room and I normally keep lights on but none of them should be directly reflected by the monitor, is that going to be ok? I'm actually used to my glass CRT reflecting everything around it. Also, why do you think the LCD is overrated? What didn't you like? Let me know your thoughts, thanks.

Also, if you want to drop some insights, please check out my post below, I am strongly considering purchasing this monitor. Thank you.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/ce/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=361562#361562

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005

This is a really nice screen...if you eliminate the direct light sources....

How bright is this display to you? One of my big gripes with my current LCD is that it is really bright. Turning down the brightness helps to a degree but then I lose a lot of contrast and black levels. How is that display when reading black text on a white background? Reflections aside, was it easy on the eyes? I am in a room and I normally keep lights on but none of them should be directly reflected by the monitor, is that going to be ok? I'm actually used to my glass CRT reflecting everything around it. Also, why do you think the LCD is overrated? What didn't you like? Let me know your thoughts, thanks.

Also, if you want to drop some insights, please check out my post below, I am strongly considering purchasing this monitor. Thank you.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/ce/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=361562#361562

A point to ponder. NEC offers to extend the warranty to 5 years for $120. Obviously they don't expect many failures in the 4th & 5th year or the warranty cost would be much higher. I don't know of anyone else who offers 5 years (maybe Planar?).

Venomous21

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
How is their dead pixel policy? If I can buy the monitor in a store (even if it costs $50 more), I am willing to simply for the fact that I can view the monitor in store and check for dead pixels. I'm a perfectionist in some ways (I know I know) and dead pixels would bother me.