Windows 7 registry corrupted after new installation

sking

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
I just wiped both my old drive (smaller) and larger one. I have reinstalled window 7 onto both drive however only the smaller drive works. I installed the smaller drive first with my legit windows 7 key. Now, is it possible to also use this same windows 7 key on the other drive to install windows 7? This is what I did, but I upgraded the IE browser from IE8 to IE9. In doing so it installed some other updates. Are these updates what caused to the registry to become corrupted? Or, is it the case that windows 7 sees a dupicliate windows 7 installation with the same key, and decides to make the windows 7 version on my larger drive unusable? Does Windows 7 sniff around during installation for other windows 7 versions? Is it possible, that the order of installing windows updates matters? Should I immediately after installing windows install the "automatic updates", THEN upgrade IE?

When I try to boot into the windows 7 on the larger drive, the setup repair files start loading. They cannot fix the problem. I also tried to boot from the windows 7 disk and run "Repair". And I tried this several times. It says: Corrupt registry startup repair offline Problem signature 6.1.7600.16385 So I'm stuck. I can only get into windows on my old smaller drive. What should I do?

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
remove the smaller drive and start with the new one in the first sata port then try a windows repair if this is not working you will have to reinstall win 7 on the new drive you could only use one licensed drive at the time or buy another key to use both also this win 7 is oem or retail