System restore not restoring my system

June 22, 2005 10:29:07 AM

Hi - help!! I am trying to do a system restore and my system runs it all but
when all is done I get a message saying that no changes have been made to my
system and that the system restore was unsuccessful. The reason I am trying
to restore my system is because Photoshop is suddenly unable to save as a
jpeg??? It doesn't recognise the jpeg format when saving and saves as a
Photoshop document. THen it wont recognise the file to open it. I have
uninstalled and reinstalled the program to no avail. Funnily enough photoshop
elements has no problem with it. Aaaarggghhhhh - any replies would be greatly
appreciated and I am not very 'technically minded' so lay terms are best for
me lol.
--
Amanda
Anonymous

Hi Amanda,

Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.

Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
Click on System in the left pane.
Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in
the right pane to sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below
the two arrows in the upper right corner. This will copy the event
information to the clipboard. Paste the information for each of the
two event here. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
System Restore Failures to restore:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Amanda wrote:
> Hi - help!! I am trying to do a system restore and my
> system runs it all but when all is done I get a message
> saying that no changes have been made to my system and
> that the system restore was unsuccessful. The reason I am
> trying to restore my system is because Photoshop is
> suddenly unable to save as a jpeg??? It doesn't recognise
> the jpeg format when saving and saves as a Photoshop
> document. THen it wont recognise the file to open it. I
> have uninstalled and reinstalled the program to no avail.
> Funnily enough photoshop elements has no problem with it.
> Aaaarggghhhhh - any replies would be greatly appreciated
> and I am not very 'technically minded' so lay terms are
> best for me lol.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 6:42:40 PM

Amanda wrote:
> Hi - help!! I am trying to do a system restore and my system runs it
> all but when all is done I get a message saying that no changes have
> been made to my system and that the system restore was unsuccessful.
> The reason I am trying to restore my system is because Photoshop is
> suddenly unable to save as a jpeg??? It doesn't recognise the jpeg
> format when saving and saves as a Photoshop document. THen it wont
> recognise the file to open it. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the
> program to no avail. Funnily enough photoshop elements has no problem
> with it. Aaaarggghhhhh - any replies would be greatly appreciated and
> I am not very 'technically minded' so lay terms are best for me lol.

Sorry, but when System Restore becomes corrupt there's nothing you can do
about it, save turning it off, rebooting, and turning it back on again. This
will purge all restore points but, as they're corrupt, it doesn't matter.
Having said that I think your Photoshop issue wouldn't have been solved by
restoring, anyway.

You may need to contact Adobe.
June 22, 2005 9:53:02 PM

Thanks Bert - I have done the procedure you mentioned and hopefully when I
attempt to paste it here it will work!!

Event Type: Information
Event Source: SRService
Event Category: None
Event ID: 111
Date: 22/06/2005
Time: 2:09:22 PM
User: N/A
Computer: MYCOMPUTER
A restoration to "System Checkpoint" restore point failed. No changes have
been made to the system.

I have no idea as to whether it helps diagnose the problem or not but that
is wahat it says. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

--
Amanda

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Amanda,
>
> Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.
>
> Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
> Click on System in the left pane.
> Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in
> the right pane to sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
> Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below
> the two arrows in the upper right corner. This will copy the event
> information to the clipboard. Paste the information for each of the
> two event here. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
> System Restore Failures to restore:
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>

> Amanda wrote:
> > Hi - help!! I am trying to do a system restore and my
> > system runs it all but when all is done I get a message
> > saying that no changes have been made to my system and
> > that the system restore was unsuccessful. The reason I am
> > trying to restore my system is because Photoshop is
> > suddenly unable to save as a jpeg??? It doesn't recognise
> > the jpeg format when saving and saves as a Photoshop
> > document. THen it wont recognise the file to open it. I
> > have uninstalled and reinstalled the program to no avail.
> > Funnily enough photoshop elements has no problem with it.
> > Aaaarggghhhhh - any replies would be greatly appreciated
> > and I am not very 'technically minded' so lay terms are
> > best for me lol.

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 1:07:03 AM

See whether turning off and followed by turning on System Restore helps to
solve the issue.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5BLN%5D;310405

That's a Photoshop problem,System Restore won't help that.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

"Amanda" <Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi - help!! I am trying to do a system restore and my system runs it all
> but
> when all is done I get a message saying that no changes have been made to
> my
> system and that the system restore was unsuccessful. The reason I am
> trying
> to restore my system is because Photoshop is suddenly unable to save as a
> jpeg??? It doesn't recognise the jpeg format when saving and saves as a
> Photoshop document. THen it wont recognise the file to open it. I have
> uninstalled and reinstalled the program to no avail. Funnily enough
> photoshop
> elements has no problem with it. Aaaarggghhhhh - any replies would be
> greatly
> appreciated and I am not very 'technically minded' so lay terms are best
> for
> me lol.
> --
> Amanda
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 1:43:13 AM

Hi Amanda,

Unfortunately, purging all the restore points would be the fix.
How to Disable and Enable System Restore
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/disablesr.html

Here are some tips on keeping System Restore Healthy and hopefully
keep the restore points from becoming corrupted in the future.
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html

--

!