XP Self Activated - Is this possible?

I recently purchased a new computer and was not connected to the
internet when the product activation wizard popped up so I closed it.
The next day, after establishing an internet connection I decided to
activate XP. I could not figure out how to open the wizard so I went
to the help area to try and figure out how to open it. (The
activation icon was not in accessories/system tools). When I then
tried to run the wizard the computer informed me that XP was already
activated. Could this have happened on its own? I had not entered
any product ID data at all and had not been to any MS sites. I am
cross posting this for wide dissemination and apologize if this
offends anyone. I certainly appreciate your help with this.
12 answers Last reply
More about activated possible

    Many computer manufacturers install a BIOS-locked version
    of Windows XP that does not require Product Activation. That
    is probably your case as well.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Tom Runge" wrote:

    | I recently purchased a new computer and was not connected to the
    | internet when the product activation wizard popped up so I closed it.
    | The next day, after establishing an internet connection I decided to
    | activate XP. I could not figure out how to open the wizard so I went
    | to the help area to try and figure out how to open it. (The
    | activation icon was not in accessories/system tools). When I then
    | tried to run the wizard the computer informed me that XP was already
    | activated. Could this have happened on its own? I had not entered
    | any product ID data at all and had not been to any MS sites. I am
    | cross posting this for wide dissemination and apologize if this
    | offends anyone. I certainly appreciate your help with this.

    Hi There:

    When a new computer is purchased with Windows XP already pre-installed,
    your activation for the software is already done for you. I had the same
    problem when I first purchased my computer until I found out that it is
    definitely locked within the BIOS so it does not require you to activate the
    registration. So sit back, relax, and Enjoy your new computer! No worries
    about registration even if you have to [and hopefully you won't] in the
    future do a "Repair" or "Factory-Restore" it's all in the BIOS. Have a Great
    Day!
    --
    Respectfully

    Deidre

    "Tom Runge" wrote:

    > I recently purchased a new computer and was not connected to the
    > internet when the product activation wizard popped up so I closed it.
    > The next day, after establishing an internet connection I decided to
    > activate XP. I could not figure out how to open the wizard so I went
    > to the help area to try and figure out how to open it. (The
    > activation icon was not in accessories/system tools). When I then
    > tried to run the wizard the computer informed me that XP was already
    > activated. Could this have happened on its own? I had not entered
    > any product ID data at all and had not been to any MS sites. I am
    > cross posting this for wide dissemination and apologize if this
    > offends anyone. I certainly appreciate your help with this.

    Thanks for the reply. The computer is an Emachines with preinstalled
    software. I do not fully understand your reply, but guess that must
    be the case.

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:50:41 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
    <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

    >Many computer manufacturers install a BIOS-locked version
    >of Windows XP that does not require Product Activation. That
    >is probably your case as well.

    Tom;
    Is it possible you saw a Registration wizard?
    Emachines come pre-activated.
    There may be an opportunity to register but not activate.

    Do not confuse Activation and Registration.
    Registration includes personal information and is optional.
    Activation does not include personal information and is mandatory.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "Tom Runge" <tom.lee@cox.net> wrote in message
    >I recently purchased a new computer and was not connected to the
    > internet when the product activation wizard popped up so I closed it.
    > The next day, after establishing an internet connection I decided to
    > activate XP. I could not figure out how to open the wizard so I went
    > to the help area to try and figure out how to open it. (The
    > activation icon was not in accessories/system tools). When I then
    > tried to run the wizard the computer informed me that XP was already
    > activated. Could this have happened on its own? I had not entered
    > any product ID data at all and had not been to any MS sites. I am
    > cross posting this for wide dissemination and apologize if this
    > offends anyone. I certainly appreciate your help with this.

    It may have been the registration wizard in retrospect, as at the time
    I did not know that there were two different options available with
    XP. I certainly appreciate all of the replies that I have received
    about this, as I have certainly learned a lot!

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:03:30 -0600, "Jupiter Jones [MVP]"
    <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote:

    >Tom;
    >Is it possible you saw a Registration wizard?
    >Emachines come pre-activated.
    >There may be an opportunity to register but not activate.
    >
    >Do not confuse Activation and Registration.
    >Registration includes personal information and is optional.
    >Activation does not include personal information and is mandatory.

    Did the XP come preinstalled on the computer? Brand name of the computer?

    Alias

    "Tom Runge" <tom.lee@cox.net> wrote

    >I recently purchased a new computer and was not connected to the
    > internet when the product activation wizard popped up so I closed it.
    > The next day, after establishing an internet connection I decided to
    > activate XP. I could not figure out how to open the wizard so I went
    > to the help area to try and figure out how to open it. (The
    > activation icon was not in accessories/system tools). When I then
    > tried to run the wizard the computer informed me that XP was already
    > activated. Could this have happened on its own? I had not entered
    > any product ID data at all and had not been to any MS sites. I am
    > cross posting this for wide dissemination and apologize if this
    > offends anyone. I certainly appreciate your help with this.

    It is an Emachines computer with preinstalled software. Another group
    member said that it may have BIOS locked software which does not
    require activation. I did not see anything about that on the MS site
    though. Guess I won't worry about it unless it starts asking me to
    activate again.

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:51:06 +0200, "Alias"
    <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote:

    >Did the XP come preinstalled on the computer? Brand name of the computer?
    >
    >Alias
    >
    >"Tom Runge" <tom.lee@cox.net> wrote
    >
    >>I recently purchased a new computer and was not connected to the
    >> internet when the product activation wizard popped up so I closed it.
    >> The next day, after establishing an internet connection I decided to
    >> activate XP. I could not figure out how to open the wizard so I went
    >> to the help area to try and figure out how to open it. (The
    >> activation icon was not in accessories/system tools). When I then
    >> tried to run the wizard the computer informed me that XP was already
    >> activated. Could this have happened on its own? I had not entered
    >> any product ID data at all and had not been to any MS sites. I am
    >> cross posting this for wide dissemination and apologize if this
    >> offends anyone. I certainly appreciate your help with this.

    It comes activated. Had you clicked on the bubble, it would have said it's
    activated.

    Alias

    "Tom Runge" <tom.lee@cox.net> wrote

    > It is an Emachines computer with preinstalled software. Another group
    > member said that it may have BIOS locked software which does not
    > require activation. I did not see anything about that on the MS site
    > though. Guess I won't worry about it unless it starts asking me to
    > activate again.
    >
    > On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:51:06 +0200, "Alias"
    > <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Did the XP come preinstalled on the computer? Brand name of the computer?
    >>
    >>Alias
    >>
    >>"Tom Runge" <tom.lee@cox.net> wrote
    >>
    >>>I recently purchased a new computer and was not connected to the
    >>> internet when the product activation wizard popped up so I closed it.
    >>> The next day, after establishing an internet connection I decided to
    >>> activate XP. I could not figure out how to open the wizard so I went
    >>> to the help area to try and figure out how to open it. (The
    >>> activation icon was not in accessories/system tools). When I then
    >>> tried to run the wizard the computer informed me that XP was already
    >>> activated. Could this have happened on its own? I had not entered
    >>> any product ID data at all and had not been to any MS sites. I am
    >>> cross posting this for wide dissemination and apologize if this
    >>> offends anyone. I certainly appreciate your help with this.

    "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote

    > Activation does not include personal information and is mandatory.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]

    Only for paying customers. Pirates don't have to activate.

    Alias

    And thieves don't need house keys.

    "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote

    > And thieves don't need house keys.

    And do homeowners need new keys everytime they change the furniture (to use
    your lame analogy)?

    Fact is activation/validation and whatever they think of next only
    inconveniences the paying customer and does nothing to stop piracy, causal
    or otherwise.

    Alias

    > Alias wrote:
    >
    >> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote
    >>

    >>>Activation does not include personal information and is mandatory.
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >>

    >> Only for paying customers. Pirates don't have to activate.
    >>
    >> Alias

    Must bother you. YAWN.

    Alias wrote:

    > "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote
    >

    >>And thieves don't need house keys.
    >

    > And do homeowners need new keys everytime they change the furniture (to use
    > your lame analogy)?
    >
    > Fact is activation/validation and whatever they think of next only
    > inconveniences the paying customer and does nothing to stop piracy, causal
    > or otherwise.
    >
    > Alias
    >
    >>Alias wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote

    >>>Only for paying customers. Pirates don't have to activate.
    >>>
    >>>Alias

Windows XP Internet Connection Computers