Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

XP Self Activated - Is this possible?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 12:40:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I recently purchased a new computer and was not connected to the
internet when the product activation wizard popped up so I closed it.
The next day, after establishing an internet connection I decided to
activate XP. I could not figure out how to open the wizard so I went
to the help area to try and figure out how to open it. (The
activation icon was not in accessories/system tools). When I then
tried to run the wizard the computer informed me that XP was already
activated. Could this have happened on its own? I had not entered
any product ID data at all and had not been to any MS sites. I am
cross posting this for wide dissemination and apologize if this
offends anyone. I certainly appreciate your help with this.

More about : activated

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 12:50:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Many computer manufacturers install a BIOS-locked version
of Windows XP that does not require Product Activation. That
is probably your case as well.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Tom Runge" wrote:

| I recently purchased a new computer and was not connected to the
| internet when the product activation wizard popped up so I closed it.
| The next day, after establishing an internet connection I decided to
| activate XP. I could not figure out how to open the wizard so I went
| to the help area to try and figure out how to open it. (The
| activation icon was not in accessories/system tools). When I then
| tried to run the wizard the computer informed me that XP was already
| activated. Could this have happened on its own? I had not entered
| any product ID data at all and had not been to any MS sites. I am
| cross posting this for wide dissemination and apologize if this
| offends anyone. I certainly appreciate your help with this.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 1:07:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi There:

When a new computer is purchased with Windows XP already pre-installed,
your activation for the software is already done for you. I had the same
problem when I first purchased my computer until I found out that it is
definitely locked within the BIOS so it does not require you to activate the
registration. So sit back, relax, and Enjoy your new computer! No worries
about registration even if you have to [and hopefully you won't] in the
future do a "Repair" or "Factory-Restore" it's all in the BIOS. Have a Great
Day!
--
Respectfully

Deidre


"Tom Runge" wrote:

> I recently purchased a new computer and was not connected to the
> internet when the product activation wizard popped up so I closed it.
> The next day, after establishing an internet connection I decided to
> activate XP. I could not figure out how to open the wizard so I went
> to the help area to try and figure out how to open it. (The
> activation icon was not in accessories/system tools). When I then
> tried to run the wizard the computer informed me that XP was already
> activated. Could this have happened on its own? I had not entered
> any product ID data at all and had not been to any MS sites. I am
> cross posting this for wide dissemination and apologize if this
> offends anyone. I certainly appreciate your help with this.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 1:17:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks for the reply. The computer is an Emachines with preinstalled
software. I do not fully understand your reply, but guess that must
be the case.


On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:50:41 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
<cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

>Many computer manufacturers install a BIOS-locked version
>of Windows XP that does not require Product Activation. That
>is probably your case as well.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 2:03:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Tom;
Is it possible you saw a Registration wizard?
Emachines come pre-activated.
There may be an opportunity to register but not activate.

Do not confuse Activation and Registration.
Registration includes personal information and is optional.
Activation does not include personal information and is mandatory.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org


"Tom Runge" <tom.lee@cox.net> wrote in message
news:5hqib11a8iuu2mck8442lrct3r1fdd1l09@4ax.com...
>I recently purchased a new computer and was not connected to the
> internet when the product activation wizard popped up so I closed it.
> The next day, after establishing an internet connection I decided to
> activate XP. I could not figure out how to open the wizard so I went
> to the help area to try and figure out how to open it. (The
> activation icon was not in accessories/system tools). When I then
> tried to run the wizard the computer informed me that XP was already
> activated. Could this have happened on its own? I had not entered
> any product ID data at all and had not been to any MS sites. I am
> cross posting this for wide dissemination and apologize if this
> offends anyone. I certainly appreciate your help with this.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 5:00:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

It may have been the registration wizard in retrospect, as at the time
I did not know that there were two different options available with
XP. I certainly appreciate all of the replies that I have received
about this, as I have certainly learned a lot!


On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:03:30 -0600, "Jupiter Jones [MVP]"
<jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote:

>Tom;
>Is it possible you saw a Registration wizard?
>Emachines come pre-activated.
>There may be an opportunity to register but not activate.
>
>Do not confuse Activation and Registration.
>Registration includes personal information and is optional.
>Activation does not include personal information and is mandatory.
June 22, 2005 7:51:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Did the XP come preinstalled on the computer? Brand name of the computer?

Alias

"Tom Runge" <tom.lee@cox.net> wrote

>I recently purchased a new computer and was not connected to the
> internet when the product activation wizard popped up so I closed it.
> The next day, after establishing an internet connection I decided to
> activate XP. I could not figure out how to open the wizard so I went
> to the help area to try and figure out how to open it. (The
> activation icon was not in accessories/system tools). When I then
> tried to run the wizard the computer informed me that XP was already
> activated. Could this have happened on its own? I had not entered
> any product ID data at all and had not been to any MS sites. I am
> cross posting this for wide dissemination and apologize if this
> offends anyone. I certainly appreciate your help with this.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 7:51:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

It is an Emachines computer with preinstalled software. Another group
member said that it may have BIOS locked software which does not
require activation. I did not see anything about that on the MS site
though. Guess I won't worry about it unless it starts asking me to
activate again.

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:51:06 +0200, "Alias"
<aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote:

>Did the XP come preinstalled on the computer? Brand name of the computer?
>
>Alias
>
>"Tom Runge" <tom.lee@cox.net> wrote
>
>>I recently purchased a new computer and was not connected to the
>> internet when the product activation wizard popped up so I closed it.
>> The next day, after establishing an internet connection I decided to
>> activate XP. I could not figure out how to open the wizard so I went
>> to the help area to try and figure out how to open it. (The
>> activation icon was not in accessories/system tools). When I then
>> tried to run the wizard the computer informed me that XP was already
>> activated. Could this have happened on its own? I had not entered
>> any product ID data at all and had not been to any MS sites. I am
>> cross posting this for wide dissemination and apologize if this
>> offends anyone. I certainly appreciate your help with this.
>
June 22, 2005 8:25:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

It comes activated. Had you clicked on the bubble, it would have said it's
activated.

Alias

"Tom Runge" <tom.lee@cox.net> wrote

> It is an Emachines computer with preinstalled software. Another group
> member said that it may have BIOS locked software which does not
> require activation. I did not see anything about that on the MS site
> though. Guess I won't worry about it unless it starts asking me to
> activate again.
>
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:51:06 +0200, "Alias"
> <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote:
>
>>Did the XP come preinstalled on the computer? Brand name of the computer?
>>
>>Alias
>>
>>"Tom Runge" <tom.lee@cox.net> wrote
>>
>>>I recently purchased a new computer and was not connected to the
>>> internet when the product activation wizard popped up so I closed it.
>>> The next day, after establishing an internet connection I decided to
>>> activate XP. I could not figure out how to open the wizard so I went
>>> to the help area to try and figure out how to open it. (The
>>> activation icon was not in accessories/system tools). When I then
>>> tried to run the wizard the computer informed me that XP was already
>>> activated. Could this have happened on its own? I had not entered
>>> any product ID data at all and had not been to any MS sites. I am
>>> cross posting this for wide dissemination and apologize if this
>>> offends anyone. I certainly appreciate your help with this.
>>
>
June 22, 2005 10:08:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote

> Activation does not include personal information and is mandatory.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Only for paying customers. Pirates don't have to activate.

Alias
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 10:08:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

And thieves don't need house keys.

Alias wrote:

> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote
>
>
>>Activation does not include personal information and is mandatory.
>>
>>--
>>Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>
>
> Only for paying customers. Pirates don't have to activate.
>
> Alias
>
>
June 23, 2005 6:21:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote

> And thieves don't need house keys.

And do homeowners need new keys everytime they change the furniture (to use
your lame analogy)?

Fact is activation/validation and whatever they think of next only
inconveniences the paying customer and does nothing to stop piracy, causal
or otherwise.

Alias
>
> Alias wrote:
>
>> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote
>>
>>
>>>Activation does not include personal information and is mandatory.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>>
>>
>> Only for paying customers. Pirates don't have to activate.
>>
>> Alias
>
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 3:17:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Must bother you. YAWN.

Alias wrote:

> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote
>
>
>>And thieves don't need house keys.
>
>
> And do homeowners need new keys everytime they change the furniture (to use
> your lame analogy)?
>
> Fact is activation/validation and whatever they think of next only
> inconveniences the paying customer and does nothing to stop piracy, causal
> or otherwise.
>
> Alias
>
>>Alias wrote:
>>
>>
>>>"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>Activation does not include personal information and is mandatory.
>>>>
>>>>--
>>>>Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>>>
>>>
>>>Only for paying customers. Pirates don't have to activate.
>>>
>>>Alias
>>
>
>
!