Sign in with
Your question

Malware Bytes fluke?

Last response: in Windows 7
August 20, 2012 8:38:07 PM

So for the past few days I had massive BSOD issues after a windows update and just yesterday decided to reinstall windows fully. I installed it fully with success and started to install drivers malware bytes security all that stuff - 3 hours after I did this my internet goes out (for some reason) and I BSOD. I get back on and try using malware bytes and after a quick scan I find 2 trojans, a trojan and a trojan.agent in my Windows scv.exe area. Malware bytes of course needs to restart so I click yes to restart, 3 seconds later I BSOD.

This morning I turned the PC on again and I ran the scan again and BSOD once more. I then go to Safe Mode and successfully restart - after that I get onto regular windows to see if it worked. Did a full system scan and it found 2 other trojans and the SAME EXACT TROJANS FROM THE PREVIOUS SCAN (that I thought deleted came up!). The other 2 seemed to have been deleted fine after a restart and just now I ran another malware scan to see if those 2 would come up again. THEY DID!

Anyone know if this is just an error with Malware bytes or if something is actually doing some damage to my system?

More about : malware bytes fluke

a b $ Windows 7
August 20, 2012 8:44:10 PM

Hi :) 

You realise Malwarebytes is basically an anti spyware program (a very good one)

Its NOT an anti virus program although it can often find them...

Install Norton Internet Security 2012 (which IS an AV program) ..update it then run a full scan...

If you cannot get into Windows, Norton will run from the disc in Dos...

All the best Brett :) 

m
l
August 20, 2012 8:44:31 PM

Now I try to do windows update and I get a BSOD when I try to shutdown my system.

Does anyone know if I just buy a new HDD + reinstall W7 on it it should work?
m
l
Related resources
August 20, 2012 9:03:27 PM

I downloaded the version from CNET - I don't think the malware is a fluke anymore - seeing as I received the BSOD recently. I'm running another full scan with Norton and MalBytes currently.
m
l
August 20, 2012 11:47:35 PM

I Just went into safe mode and did a full system scan with malware + norton and successfully restarted the system into normal mode. Just did a Shut Down to see if updating OS would work and it did.

This is really weird case of BSOD.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 20, 2012 11:52:42 PM

could be just a update that did not install correctly will be around if you need more help
m
l
August 21, 2012 2:39:52 AM

It's more than a fluke, Now i can tell that. I got the BSOD again after I cleaned that trojan out several times. Before my clean windows 7 install I had BSOD out the butt. I had a new HDD for school purposes I am going to install and am going to reinstall W7 on it. Hopefully this solves my issues.
m
l
August 21, 2012 2:48:39 AM

When you re-install, format the drive completely, not with the quick format option, then do the Windows clean install. If you still get a BSOD then it could be a defective hardware device like hdd or MB, or there maybe a malware re-direct on your router, but that is very rare.
m
l
August 21, 2012 2:50:27 AM

You could zero the HDD, this looks like failing hardware though.
m
l
August 21, 2012 2:55:28 AM

I'll let you guys know - I was set on the fact that this was a driver error before the clean install because I started receiving the BSOD's after a Windows critical update - which is why I am really weirded out by the malware.

The motherboard was also working absolutely flawlessly for 6 months straight which is also why I'm weirded out at the possibility.

Let's hope for the best!
m
l
August 21, 2012 2:58:32 AM

PaulR08 said:
When you re-install, format the drive completely, not with the quick format option, then do the Windows clean install. If you still get a BSOD then it could be a defective hardware device like hdd or MB, or there maybe a malware re-direct on your router, but that is very rare.

Since I'm re-installing Windows on a brand new HDD, should I format the drive completely like you say?

This HDD is around 5 years old, but the Mobo is less than 6 months.
m
l
August 21, 2012 3:02:10 AM

Smeg45 said:
You could zero the HDD, this looks like failing hardware though.

I would nuke the HDD but I don't have a stable W7 copy. My HDD came from Dell with an old system with Vista preinstalled and received a W7 upgrade later on - so I have no full copy. I just decided to buy a OEM System Build Pack to hold me over to W8 - hopefully this new HDD works.

m
l
August 22, 2012 10:23:09 PM

So I just went through all the work to reinstall windows on my BRAND NEW HDD. I had reinstalled it via a OEM System Builder Home Premium pack to hold me over until Windows 8 arrived.

Shortly after attempting to download my security systems via Comcast's free Norton service I received the message "this file is corrupt" upon extracting. I tried like 8 different security services I know and I got the exact same thing for all of them.

WHAT IS GOING ON THIS IS SO GOD DAMN ANNOYING!
m
l
August 22, 2012 11:24:05 PM

Could this be a RAM error? I spent about 2 hours reading on this topic and the most common I found was RAM. Seeing as I did have Blue Screens before could this be the issue?

Edit: Due to the fact this is an OEM System Builder pack not a FULL version of Windows 7, does not having this activated be a problem? I skipped the activation because it said my key was invalid during installation?
m
l
August 22, 2012 11:52:42 PM

hmm, my activation key says it was invalid so I need to call Microsoft about that. I use a router yes but I use ethernet cables for all my connections.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 22, 2012 11:56:20 PM

does it have a firewall and do you use the wep key or the wpa 2
m
l
August 22, 2012 11:57:13 PM

I don't use any of those, I just connect via ethernet lol
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 22, 2012 11:57:45 PM

what is the error
m
l
August 22, 2012 11:58:20 PM

Just tried downloading avast, said it couldnt extract the file and gave me an error.
m
l
August 23, 2012 12:02:54 AM

I either get an error stating "File is corrupt" or an error that just states "Failed to extract file" with all that recommended bullshit like "clear your cache etc. if using IE"
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 23, 2012 12:06:43 AM

go back to the first restore point you got and restore windows to that date then see if you got bsod
m
l
August 23, 2012 12:08:44 AM

Well I reinstalled windows on a totally new hard drive, there are no restore points because I have none :D 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 23, 2012 12:11:23 AM

try this connect directly to your provider using the pc not the router and try to download again avast if this is not working you will need to call microsoft for your key
m
l
August 23, 2012 12:13:06 AM

I am beginning to think this is occurring because I didn't activate my key, I am going to call microsoft and see what they say tomorrow.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 23, 2012 12:14:46 AM

but before that you coudl try direct connect to provider
m
l
August 23, 2012 12:35:03 AM

I don't know how to try that but Microsoft support hasn't picked up in 40 minutes wtf. I want to murder my PC now, giving me way to much grief over this bullshit.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 23, 2012 12:39:46 AM

unplug lan cable from router that came your provider and plug it on the motherboard directly not using the router cable
m
l
August 23, 2012 12:51:04 AM

nope nothing
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 23, 2012 12:58:16 AM

does not connect that because it's the router mac that is register to your provider put everything back where it was and look at your router settings and logs if you find something abnormal
m
l
August 23, 2012 1:11:30 AM

everything looks normal, every other PC and mac in the house can download just fine. I activated my windows copy but I still get this stupid corrupt file stuff.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 23, 2012 1:15:39 AM

if you get the file from another pc and use a usb key to load to your will this work
m
l
August 23, 2012 1:21:48 AM

I jsut downloaded Avast to a USB and plugged her into the rig and I don't even get an error or anything. Nothing loads at all.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 23, 2012 1:30:51 AM

do a scandisk of the hdd could be falling you could also try the test tool from the drive maker
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 23, 2012 1:35:09 AM

if you could memtest the memory stick in case one of them is bad and give error
m
l
August 23, 2012 1:35:37 AM

How do I start a scandisk? very new with this :( 
m
l
August 23, 2012 5:59:46 AM

Everything on the disk seemed just fine. Agh this is so weird!
m
l
August 23, 2012 6:41:39 AM

For some reason I keep getting the "cFosSpeed V6.61" error when I log in to my PC as "Fatal error in multilingual support" I know that cfos is something to do with internet. Maybe could be a reason as well (yes I know it's multilingual support bla bla) but could there be something here?
m
l
August 23, 2012 5:33:48 PM

Anyone have anymore ideas? Really need to fix this problem within the next week as I leave for College. Aghhh!
m
l
August 23, 2012 10:39:05 PM

Your installation DVD might be corrrupted. Download this .iso from Digital River:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-is...

which is an official .iso and use your key from the previous install. Burn the .iso to DVD at x4 speed. Make sure to get the right edition for your key.
m
l
August 24, 2012 6:47:48 AM

I'm doing a Disk Check currently and then I'm going to look at the log of it - If that doesn't work I'm going to download the ISO and see if it works.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 24, 2012 6:30:05 PM

i would remove this software that the it could be corrupted if you download it on p2p and checkcwith your net provider if this support and permit from them
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 25, 2012 12:53:15 AM

octose said:
So for the past few days I had massive BSOD issues after a windows update and just yesterday decided to reinstall windows fully. I installed it fully with success and started to install drivers malware bytes security all that stuff - 3 hours after I did this my internet goes out (for some reason) and I BSOD. I get back on and try using malware bytes and after a quick scan I find 2 trojans, a trojan and a trojan.agent in my Windows scv.exe area. Malware bytes of course needs to restart so I click yes to restart, 3 seconds later I BSOD.

This morning I turned the PC on again and I ran the scan again and BSOD once more. I then go to Safe Mode and successfully restart - after that I get onto regular windows to see if it worked. Did a full system scan and it found 2 other trojans and the SAME EXACT TROJANS FROM THE PREVIOUS SCAN (that I thought deleted came up!). The other 2 seemed to have been deleted fine after a restart and just now I ran another malware scan to see if those 2 would come up again. THEY DID!

Anyone know if this is just an error with Malware bytes or if something is actually doing some damage to my system?

Any free thing (you download) will not protect as well as an all in one security program.
It is better to pay for a professional antivirus, on a yearly basis.
For example, the system I use costs less than $10 for 3 computers, per year. The retail cost is $80, but anybody can probably install it very cheap, like I do.

You do not need multiple security programs, that conflict with each other. This only causes problems.
You do not need sweepers, cleaners, fixers, etc...etc...downloaded free from the internet.
These kind of things complicate, and leave holes in the security.
A pro antivirus updates itself all day long. It will block incoming connections, etc...

If you have already loaded this free stuff into your system...
save your personal files to a thumb drive.
Or if your computer is FUBAR, install your hard drive as a second drive, on a working computer.
Use the working computer to scan your hard drive.
Back up your personal files using the working computer. Save your files to a USB drive, etc...

Reformat your FUBAR drive, slow complete reformat, or bulk erase...
Install a fresh OS from scratch. Install Drivers, install your pro antivirus.
Now scan and replace your files from the backup.

OR have a computer shop do that for you.
m
l
August 25, 2012 1:01:16 AM

Here we go again, the free stuff is just as good as the overpriced paid for stuff. Its the SAME engine. Same for Avast and AVG, same for Avira. You get the same real time protection, minus extra features like backup or a firewall. The Windows firewall is good enough. It comes down to common sense and watching what you click.
m
l
!