Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
Right now my system is this:

P4 2.4B
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
2 x 512mb pc2700 kingston valueram
radeon 9800 pro 128mb
400w fortron ps

Since I have a good motherboard, I want to get it to its full potential so I'm upgrading to a P4 3.2C. I don't know what kind of RAM to get though and don't want to spend extra money if it isn't needed. According to the Anandtech Weekly Buyers Guide for High End systems I should be buying either Mushkin Level One pc3500 or OCZ PC3700 GOLD Revision 2. However, I've been browsing the forums there and I'm reading from some people saying Kingston valueram is fine and you won't get any real or noticeable performance gains in games etc. unless of course you're overclocking. I'm a hardcore gamer so performance is everything to me. If the RAM will in fact increase my framerate in the first person shooters I play like the new next gen game Painkiller I will go ahead and buy the better RAM. Assuming I'm not overclocking will I see higher framerates and/or performance in games if I was using the OCZ pc3700 or Mushkin Level One pc3500 as opposed to lets say Kingston valueram pc 3200?

I don't want to overclock at first but as the system gets older 6+ months down the road I might want to try getting a few extra mhz :)

Thoughts? Suggestions? I really need insight on this so I can make a decision and order my new processor and ram tomorrow.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I like the OCZ idea.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Muscl3s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
Thanks for the suggestion but why? You think I should get the OCZ even though I probably won't be overclocking? Will I notice better performance using the OCZ pc3700 as opposed to the others?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That particular RAM is known to support reduced latencies at lower clock speeds, and to overclock beyond its rating. The reduced latencies will give you a very small performance boost and you can use that RAM for overclocking in the future.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

miniklobb

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2004
i use a p4 2.8c and crucial pc3200, i've been able to over clock to 3.3 with no problem. i would recommend upgrading to pc 3200 ram, crucial, kingston VS, or corsair is great, but the real gain is load time and a 1 gig of pc2700 is still better then 512 pc3200, post your old ram on ebay to get some of your money back. good luck