SP2 and DirectX files missing

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.directx (More info?)

Running DirectX diagnostics tells me that there are a bunch of files
missing.

/StartList
Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.dll <File Missing>
Microsoft.DirectX.DirectDraw.dll <File Missing>
Microsoft.DirectX.DirectInput.dll <File Missing>
Microsoft.DirectX.DirectPlay.dll <File Missing>
Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound.dll <File Missing>
Microsoft.DirectX.AudioVideoPlayback.dll <File Missing>
Microsoft.DirectX.Diagnostics.dll <File Missing>
Microsoft.DirectX.dll <File Missing>
/EndList

From web searching this seems to be a common problem with, mainly, three
solution suggested:

1) As SP2 provides it's own version of DirectX files, it should be
reinstalled to correct the problems.

2) Run 'sfc /scannow' to reinstate the missing files.

3) Use one of several utilities to allow a reinstall of DirectX9.0c
from the redistributable files.

My experiences of the first two are:

1) reinstalling sp2 has made no difference to the DirextX
diagnostic - the same files are still missing.

2) sfc /scannow kept demanding the XP Home CD, but then described
it as the 'wrong' one.

This led me to a whole new series of 'solutions' (generally
copying source files to a local drive and then changing source
paths in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup.

None of these worked (although at one stage it progressed to a
request to insert the Service Pack CD rather than the XP) but it
still stated it was the wrong CD. :-(

So - my questions (at last):

a) Are any of these 'missing' files required? If so how can they be
reinstated?
b) Is it correct that the DirectX 9.0c should NOT be applied to an
SP2 machine? If untrue, then *how*? I've already tried and it
completes instantly (presumably because it thinks it is already
there and complete.)

This is driving me potty so any help appreciated!

Cheers,
--
Neale Hind
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

    If you aren't running any games, or have no other problems, besides those
    that you listed, I wouldn't worry about it.

    I have XP Pro SP1 and DirectX 9.0b and I have none of these files.

    Direct3D.dll
    DirectDraw.dll
    DirectInput.dll
    DirectPlay.dll
    DirectSound.dll
    AudioVideoPlayback.dll
    Diagnostics.dll
    DirectX.dll

    I also do not have any problems that I know of.

    [[Typically, any title that uses DirectX will install the version of DirectX
    it requires in order to run. Therefore, you generally should not need to
    download DirectX x.x in order to get your programs to run.]]
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx?url=/windows/directx/productinfo/faq/default.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes